From the Archives Conrail MofW part10

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 21, 2006
      I was about to sign off but this thread popped into my head

      This past spring I was going past one of the only grade crossings on the
      Hudson Division and I saw a bunch of track equipment going by the crossing
      one at a time. I puled a u-turn and pulled over to have a look. Since I had
      pulled up a guy in a white hat attempted to wave me through the downed
      gates. I waved him off and got out of the car.

      He looked me over and decided I was not a threat or anything he was going to
      have to deal with and proceeded to try and get the track machines moving
      again.

      I looked at him for a moment and he turned to me and asked if he could help
      me with anything.

      "Are you Nick Monteleone?" I asked.

      He looked a little stunned. "Yes, do I know you?"

      "Well no not really" , I remarked. "I worked for you back in 1980 as summer
      help in the track department."

      He looked me over and I noted that I had been in several gangs with Al
      White, TE Small and Bruce Koch.

      "I think I remember you" I am sure he was being polite but he noted that I
      had the right names and must have been in the gang. We talked for a couple
      minutes and then sensing that he needed to get back to work I excused
      myself.

      Okay thats from the grey matter between my ears. But now from the wall of
      the train room in the basement

      On the back of a form..........you guessed it on the back of an M
      Form..........

      7/10/80

      To Whom it May concern,

      Joe Klapkowski is presently a trackman headquartered at North White Plains,
      N.Y.
      He is under my employ.

      Nick Monteleone
      Asst. Supv. Prod.

      I kept this along with my Conrail issued pass which I suspect I got just
      before I left the track deprtment.

      I wanted to mention one other thing about a derailment but I will leave that
      story to another time.

      Whats in your archives..............................