From The Archives Conrail's MofW Department Part 4

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 14, 2006
      So as I said we were walking around the yard. The Track Foremen were
      Griffith, Conklin and maybe Nick Montleoneand one other guy who, when I
      correctly answered the, "whats that mean on the side of the rail " question,
      looked like he was going to have a heart attack.

      Irevealed my Sperry employment and suddenly the white hats of the track
      foremen were all gathered around me. There were many questions but the one
      that sort of settled it all was, what are you doing here ? I needed a gfood
      summer job and this looked like the right place. I got Union scale and
      later, in November, I received a lump sum check for a retroactive pay
      increase, even though I had left the railroad in August.

      The rest of the afternoon was spent in the yard talking about the third
      rail, how to test if it was live or not (and no you do not touch it with any
      part of your body), how to NOT walk on the rail the proper technique for
      crossing the tracks. Interestingly they did not discuss how to get on or off
      equipment. I guess they figured we were not going to be touching any
      equipment that we could not carry so why bother.

      I believe we then got a couple of practical lessons on tamping ties.

      I enjoyed my "15 minutes" if you will but the next day it was down and dirty
      and perhaps I will relate that in another edition of "From The Archives"

      The problem is that many of the people I worked with one summer are still
      out there......we will see........

      Thanks to those of you who have provided private and public words of
      encouragement in relating these stories.

      I do have something to relate to the list. You will recall that in an
      earlier story line I spoke of my adventures on the Sperry car (and as far as
      I am concerned they really were adventures). Someone wrote to tell me that
      they believe that an older gentleman they were talking with in a restaurant
      may have been none other than the former Chief of my Sperry Car.........It
      is a small world folks.