Re: [FJGRailroad] Feeding Steam

    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 12, 2006
      Hi Gino,

      Guess this was all "armstrong" coaling. I zoomed in on an old Fonda
      Yard Map I think Saul or Paul posted to the list years ago and found a
      small triangular shaped thingie just west of the switch leading to the
      Fonda turntable labeled "Coal Platform". I guess that makes the
      stopping beside a gondola load of coal a probability as well. Can you
      imaging having to hand shovel 50 tons of coal from a gon to a tender to
      start your day!

      Paul :-)

      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 12, 2006
        I have a photo which shows two hoppers of coal on the far west track near
        the coach shed in Gloversville... and you can barely see the conveyor.
        This is a relatively popular photo taken during the 1949(?) fan trip.

        I have another photo which shows No. 8 next to what appears to be a coal
        Paul Larner --- maybe you know the picture. Behind the locomotive is a
        pile of coal at least as high as the top of No. 8's boiler; and at least as
        long as the locomotive. Sticking out of the coal is a series of what
        appears to be wooden trusses holding a metal track, attached to which is
        some sort of bucket. Is this in fact a Gloversville picture?
        (Unfortuately I don't have a scanner here).

        I also have a photo of No. 9 approaching Kingsboro Avenue. There is a coal
        conveyor facing the tracks near the coal tubes. Not sure why this was
        here.

        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 12, 2006
          Hi Paul and Aaron,

          Thanks for a great explanation. While drawing the original layout I
          seen hundreds of photos but as I was drawing a diesel layout it just
          never occurred to me that there was nothing in the background for
          servicing steam... well maybe there was... I'll have to have a look
          again now that I have an idea what to look for.

          Paul :-)

          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 12, 2006
            Yes. I wrote a reply this morning (twice again) but haven't seen it here
            yet. When it hits the site I expect it will provoke more questions.

            PKL

            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 12, 2006
              Hi Paul,

              Your reply did show up on the list at 12:28 this afternoon. I replied
              to it and Aaron's reply at 4:31.

              My mail and news group messages have been acting strange in the past
              couple of days, maybe there is a larger problem out there if you are
              having problems too.

              Paul :-)

              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 12, 2006
                Nope haven't seen it yet. It could be my server doesn't work friendly with
                Yahoo all the time; I have another site that seems to lose threads of a
                message series. If that answer earlier didn't cover your questions, tell me
                what you need.

                PKL