From The Archives Conrail MofW Employment Part 1

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 11, 2006
      Previously I have related my experiences on the SRS 145 in the summer of
      1979. Anxious to try again to do something in the rail industry for the
      summer, I set my sights on getting into the Conrail MofW department. One of
      the reasons I did not get on the railroad was that I did not have any family
      on the railroad. It was hard to get a job in Conrail's Metro Region without
      some "insider". Back in those days, everybody on the railroad said the same
      thing. "Kid, they don't want to run passenger trains. Stay off the Railroad
      KID !"

      I prevailed upon my Dad to ask one of his friends who worked for the
      railroad at 347 Madison (or was it 466 Lexington?) to get me the name of the
      appropriate person in "Personnel" (thats right it was not called Human
      Resources).

      I did get a name but I could not expect any help. So I went down to seen
      this man, completely unannounced. Let me say that although he saw me (I can
      not remember his name) I think it was for amusement value more than anything
      else. He told me that they were not hiring right then, but they migth be
      hiring tomorrow or next week. He could not say for sure. I told him that I
      would keep in touch. And I did. For the next two weeks I called him every
      other day to inquire about a job. Finally after ten phone calls he told me
      to report to Room H in Grand Central Terminal for a physical. The physical
      was a little more extensive than I had ever had before. If you are over 35
      you probably know what I mean. I was in the exam for maybe ten minutes and
      of course, being 19, I passed.

      I called the following day to Mr. Personnel and he told he to report to the
      Training Room at the Harmon Shops next Monday. I was in !