Re: [FJGRailroad] Meeting 6/28/06

  • Gerald Snyder
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 8, 2006
      Kind of late to answer this question but at least it
      is on the same topic.

      I have received an offer from the Hagaman Historical
      Society to use Pawling Hall in Hagaman as a location
      for FJ&G meetings. I gave them a postcard program
      earlier this year and helped coordinate their speaker
      for last night - Malcolm Horton provided an excellent
      show on the Erie Canal which everyone enjoyed. The
      group president approached me after the program and
      said that we would be welcome to use the facility. So
      we have a standing offer that I throw out for
      consideration. If we take them up on it, it would be
      nice to invite their group to our first meeting
      there(only about a dozen people) and be able to do a
      brief slide show or some type of presentation on the
      FJ&G. With the local Hagaman trolley line tie-in we
      may be able to pick up some new followers from their
      group, and a meeting location down this way may
      attract people from this end of the line. When I was
      in the Fulton - Montgomery Computer Users Group we
      used to alternate meeting months between Gloversville
      and Amsterdam to draw members from both areas.

      Thoughts/comments/ideas?
      Jerry

      http://mail.yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 9, 2006
        Gerry, That is an excellent location, centrally located to each end of the
        line and not hard to reach from Goversville or Johnstown. Since it was rare
        someone from Gloversville or Johnstown made our meetings my vote is to go
        for it. Several years ago I did a program for them on the FJ&G and the
        Hagaman line with a real good turnout. They are an active group with
        interest in the FJ&G as well. Is Merril Dye still attending their meetings?
        He is an older gentleman, in his mid nineties and the son of Fred Dye, to
        whom we owe our gratitude for his wisdom in photographing the railroad.
        Unfortunately his negatives, I have been told, went to someone in Vermont,
        not me, years ago; they have not surfaced.

        PKL

        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 9, 2006
          Great idea Jerry!  Hagaman would be an awesome location.  Much
          closer for some people than Gloversville.  Easier to reach from
          Route 5 and the Thruway.  That might be a great spot to start our
          October get-together.  If that is our center of attack, a dinner at
          Crystal Bar could be in order.  Of course this doesn't count out
          a trip to Gloversville exploring the trolley line, but definitely something
          different!

          Gino

          http://mail.yahoo.com

          --