Mail, Express and No. 340

    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 7, 2006
      Evening Paul,

      I started a quick reply with indefinites then decided to do some checking to
      supply dates. The following information is from annual reports, ETT and
      newspapers.

      The FJ&G railroad started trucking the mail when the line to Northville went
      out March 1930. That would be to all stations north of Gloversville. Off
      the top of my head I think the Broadalbin mail was delivered from Amsterdam.
      From the employee timetables it appears that trucks operating between
      Fonda and Gloversville were handling the mail at the demise of the trolley
      service. The ETT's indicate more daily truck trips between Gloversville and
      Fonda than gas car; also the gas car didn't run on Sundays and holidays.
      Every indication I find is that the gas car carried mail, well complimented
      by truck service. The use of the gas car seems to have been primarily
      Railway Express. Follows is the newspaper report of the authorization to
      buy the gas car:

      061638 "New Gas-Electric Car to Carry Baggage Over FJG Steam Line �
      Authorization for the purchase of a gasoline-electric car for the
      transportation of mail, express and baggage over the steam line as a
      substitute for similar service now carried over the electric division
      between Fonda and Gloversville was granted to the F., J. & G. Railroad in
      Federal Court at Syracuse yesterday.

      "J. Ledlie Hees, trustee of the railroad, said that the new car will be
      placed in service shortly after July 1 and will operate over the tracks of
      the steam division. Application for authority to make the purchase was
      filed with Federal Judge Frederick Bryant by Wes H. Maider, attorney for the
      railroad.

      "The car is 73 feet long and weighs approximately fifty tons, being driven
      by two 150 horsepower gasoline engines to generate its own electric power.
      It may be operated from either end and provides 55 feet of space for
      carrying mail and baggage.

      "It also is capable of drawing regulation railway equipment behind it in
      case of necessity. It is manufactured by the American Car and Foundry
      Company."

      The next couple quotes indicate by 1948 the car was considered an express
      car, not mail.

      092848 #9 is out on the express run while #340 is in for overhaul. Probably
      #9 will be out for a week or so. 21 and 20 are both out. Last week #20 was
      in the shop. #9 didn�t make the night express run; #21 and the baggage car
      made the trip.

      101848 #340 Express car was out today for the first in about three weeks she
      is gainly decked out in the company�s standard colors of orange, yellow, and
      a black trim. Her motor sounds as if the overhaul did some good.

      102548 #21 took a railway express car as well as combine #22 down on night
      run in place of #340. What is wrong with the 340 is not yet known.

      Reading through the news accounts I doubt the mail was carried on the gas
      car; it s service was not dependable enough for the US Mail.

      Dates of interest:

      1958 - trucks substituted for gas car for Ry. Express (assume that all mail
      was by truck at this date?);

      7/18/1960 Ry. Express stops using the railroad, substituting their own
      trucks;

      between 4/1/1964 and 4/24/1968 REA used the railroad truck to handle their
      business.

      The FJ&G lost the mail contract September 11, 1964.

      Effective October 1, 1964, LCL was no longer handled through the company's
      freight house. This latter coincided with the NYC giving up LCL service
      over Fonda.

      PKL

      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 8, 2006
        Hi Paul,

        Thanks for the time line on the mail and express business, must have
        been express business being exchanged in the photo I saw years ago.

        Does anyone have a shot of one of these highway trucks? The shot was
        black and white and appeared to be an orange carbody with a cream
        rectangle outlined with a black pin stripe and had black lettering...

        FONDA JOHNSTOWN AND GLOVERSVILLE
        MAIL - EXPRESS - FREIGHT

        ...sort of thing.

        One interesting thing that appeared in the description of 340 was the
        claim the car was being built by American Car and Foundry Company. The
        car was actually a Brill car built in St. Louis, MO. There may have
        been a chance the carbody was subcontracted and built by AC&F, but it's
        an 'off the shelf' Brill car that was bought by several other railroads
        as well... see this Northeast Railfan page to see the 340 and several
        other examples of the Brill gas-electrics:

        http://www.northeast.railfan.net/self_prop4.html

        Paul :-)

        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 8, 2006
          Paul, I suspect at the time permission was received to acquire a car that
          they may have had a new car in mind; note also the reference to two engines,
          etc. Definitely not the car they eventually purchased. It is interesting
          to note that when the FJ&G came out of receivership the diesels and busses
          were acquired for cash.

          You are correct that the trucks were painted in the orange, cream and black
          FJ&G color scheme.

          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 9, 2006
            Hi Paul,

            I was wondering how two engines fit into the description, that's almost
            an RDC-3 they were describing.

            Thanks for confirming the orange on the highway trucks. I'd guessed
            this years ago but it could have easily been gray.

            Paul :-)