RE: [FJGRailroad] Trees along the FJ&G

    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 5 9:25 PM
      Hi Skip,

      That's cool, the FJ&G in N-Scale. How much of the line will you do?
      You should talk to Paul Charland, our resident 'V-Scale' expert. He
      Has designed an awesome FJ&G layout for N-Scale and has also come up
      With a neat little Johnstown Layout that would be circa-1950. I was
      Thinking of doing this, but gave up on N-Scale.

      If you're looking to do a smaller layout, ask Paul to send you the plan
      For the FJ&G in Johnstown. As for trees, I lived on the FJ&G and all
      I can identify is Maples, oaks and pines. I know there were plenty of
      those.

      Good luck with the layout!

      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 7 7:56 AM
        Hi All,

        Not being a "local" I didn't jump on this one but guessed from the many
        photos I have what the answer would be.

        As Gino says, I have drawn several versions of the FJ&G in N scale from
        a small shelf switching layout of Johnstown, to a modest bedroom layout
        to a serious basement layout. If anyone in interested in having a look
        at any of these you are more then welcome.

        Paul :-)

        Dicarlo, Gino wrote:

        > Hi Skip,
        >
        > That's cool, the FJ&G in N-Scale. How much of the line will you do?
        > You should talk to Paul Charland, our resident 'V-Scale' expert. He
        > Has designed an awesome FJ&G layout for N-Scale and has also come up
        > With a neat little Johnstown Layout that would be circa-1950. I was
        > Thinking of doing this, but gave up on N-Scale.
        >
        > If you're looking to do a smaller layout, ask Paul to send you the plan
        > For the FJ&G in Johnstown. As for trees, I lived on the FJ&G and all
        > I can identify is Maples, oaks and pines. I know there were plenty of
        > those.
        >
        > Good luck with the layout!
        >
        > Gino
      • Mike Clifford
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 7 9:56 AM
          Hi Paul. If its possible I would like to see the small shelf drawing
          and the modest bedroom drawing.
          I am also wondering what year the FJ&G lost their mail contract.

          Thanks,
          Mike Clifford

          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 7 11:28 AM
            Hi Mike,

            Coming at you!

            As for the mail contract, someone else is going to have to tell us. My
            guess would be some time around 1958ish but it's only a guess.

            Paul :-)

            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 7 2:11 PM
              Mail contract was lost in the fall of 1964 if I recall correctly. We
              expected to be bumped by a couple of the driers but they had failed to keep
              up their union membership when they left the craft; thus we held our jobs.

              PKL

              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 7 2:19 PM
                Hi Paul,

                When was mail bumped off the rails... as in the last run of 340? Many
                years ago I had my hands on a 1960ish article in Trains that showed 340
                at Gloversville transferring mail and express to one of the highway
                trucks for Northville. There was no date on the shot so you would have
                to think it was "current" to the writing of the article but Trains could
                have easily sat on the transcript for a year or two before publishing
                the article.

                Paul :-)

                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 7 8:54 PM
                  Evening Paul,

                  I started a quick reply with indefinites then decided to do some checking to
                  supply dates. The following information is from annual reports, ETT and
                  newspapers.

                  The FJ&G railroad started trucking the mail when the line to Northville went
                  out March 1930. That would be to all stations north of Gloversville. Off
                  the top of my head I think the Broadalbin mail was delivered from Amsterdam.
                  From the employee timetables it appears that trucks operating between
                  Fonda and Gloversville were handling the mail at the demise of the trolley
                  service. The ETT's indicate more daily truck trips between Gloversville and
                  Fonda than gas car; also the gas car didn't run on Sundays and holidays.
                  Every indication I find is that the gas car carried mail, well complimented
                  by truck service. The use of the gas car seems to have been primarily
                  Railway Express. Follows is the newspaper report of the authorization to
                  buy the gas car:

                  061638 "New Gas-Electric Car to Carry Baggage Over FJG Steam Line �
                  Authorization for the purchase of a gasoline-electric car for the
                  transportation of mail, express and baggage over the steam line as a
                  substitute for similar service now carried over the electric division
                  between Fonda and Gloversville was granted to the F., J. & G. Railroad in
                  Federal Court at Syracuse yesterday.

                  "J. Ledlie Hees, trustee of the railroad, said that the new car will be
                  placed in service shortly after July 1 and will operate over the tracks of
                  the steam division. Application for authority to make the purchase was
                  filed with Federal Judge Frederick Bryant by Wes H. Maider, attorney for the
                  railroad.

                  "The car is 73 feet long and weighs approximately fifty tons, being driven
                  by two 150 horsepower gasoline engines to generate its own electric power.
                  It may be operated from either end and provides 55 feet of space for
                  carrying mail and baggage.

                  "It also is capable of drawing regulation railway equipment behind it in
                  case of necessity. It is manufactured by the American Car and Foundry
                  Company."

                  The next couple quotes indicate by 1948 the car was considered an express
                  car, not mail.

                  092848 #9 is out on the express run while #340 is in for overhaul. Probably
                  #9 will be out for a week or so. 21 and 20 are both out. Last week #20 was
                  in the shop. #9 didn�t make the night express run; #21 and the baggage car
                  made the trip.

                  101848 #340 Express car was out today for the first in about three weeks she
                  is gainly decked out in the company�s standard colors of orange, yellow, and
                  a black trim. Her motor sounds as if the overhaul did some good.

                  102548 #21 took a railway express car as well as combine #22 down on night
                  run in place of #340. What is wrong with the 340 is not yet known.

                  Reading through the news accounts I doubt the mail was carried on the gas
                  car; it s service was not dependable enough for the US Mail.

                  Dates of interest:

                  1958 - trucks substituted for gas car for Ry. Express (assume that all mail
                  was by truck at this date?);

                  7/18/1960 Ry. Express stops using the railroad, substituting their own
                  trucks;

                  between 4/1/1964 and 4/24/1968 REA used the railroad truck to handle their
                  business.

                  The FJ&G lost the mail contract September 11, 1964.

                  Effective October 1, 1964, LCL was no longer handled through the company's
                  freight house. This latter coincided with the NYC giving up LCL service
                  over Fonda.

                  PKL

                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 8 4:22 AM
                    Hi Paul,

                    Thanks for the time line on the mail and express business, must have
                    been express business being exchanged in the photo I saw years ago.

                    Does anyone have a shot of one of these highway trucks? The shot was
                    black and white and appeared to be an orange carbody with a cream
                    rectangle outlined with a black pin stripe and had black lettering...

                    FONDA JOHNSTOWN AND GLOVERSVILLE
                    MAIL - EXPRESS - FREIGHT

                    ...sort of thing.

                    One interesting thing that appeared in the description of 340 was the
                    claim the car was being built by American Car and Foundry Company. The
                    car was actually a Brill car built in St. Louis, MO. There may have
                    been a chance the carbody was subcontracted and built by AC&F, but it's
                    an 'off the shelf' Brill car that was bought by several other railroads
                    as well... see this Northeast Railfan page to see the 340 and several
                    other examples of the Brill gas-electrics:

                    http://www.northeast.railfan.net/self_prop4.html

                    Paul :-)

                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 8 7:49 PM
                      Paul, I suspect at the time permission was received to acquire a car that
                      they may have had a new car in mind; note also the reference to two engines,
                      etc. Definitely not the car they eventually purchased. It is interesting
                      to note that when the FJ&G came out of receivership the diesels and busses
                      were acquired for cash.

                      You are correct that the trucks were painted in the orange, cream and black
                      FJ&G color scheme.

                      Message 10 of 11 , Sep 9 5:15 AM
                        Hi Paul,

                        I was wondering how two engines fit into the description, that's almost
                        an RDC-3 they were describing.

                        Thanks for confirming the orange on the highway trucks. I'd guessed
                        this years ago but it could have easily been gray.

                        Paul :-)