Re: [FJGRailroad] NSL Cars

    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 22, 2006
      I heard at the time this started being a problem for the NSL they had a
      100 ton hopper of coal show up at the Conrail interchange in Norwood for
      the Psychiatric Hospital in Ogdensburg. Took nearly a week to send cars
      away to be stored on other railroads as well as plugging every siding
      they could in order to open the mainline up and deliver the car... just
      in time for the next one to show up!

      Paul :-)

      joseph Klapkowski wrote:

      > The M&NJ had the same problem. Cars were being returned and they literally
      > had to get out a chainsaw and clear the south end of the M&NJ ROW so they
      > had a place to store them. In the M&NJ's case they only used the first five
      > miles of the line so this meant that the south end of the railroad, which
      > had not seen a wheel in the rails in many many years had to be cleared. They
      > discovered that in a couple of places someone had actually removed some of
      > the rails.
    • oleroadslug
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 22, 2006
        --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, "Aaron Keller" <akeller1979@...>
        wrote:

        > Gino,
        >
        > The Escanaba and Lake Superior has a large fleet of ex- St. Lawrence
        cars in service over here. There are dozens of them around Green Bay
        all the time.

        > -Aaron
        >

        >Aaron I assume, as well as I can get shots of these cars for you
        Gino. They come through Appleton to get to Green Bay. However, I don't
        think they are what your after. Paper service cars now if I'm not
        mistaken.

        Bob Schoneman

        P.S. Aaron- Got your e mail. ;-)
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 24, 2006
          Aaron,

          This is exactly what I'm talking about.  That's what I was looking for.  It was the fact that the FJG/PC cars had friction-bearing trucks making them incompatible today!  I thought that any car that was over 30 years old couldn't be switched over a class 1 railroad...

          Gino

          On 7/22/06, Aaron Keller <akeller1979@...> wrote:

          Gino,

          The FJ&G/LASB boxcars had friction bearing trucks... the NSL cars had
          roller bearing trucks... if that's what you're getting at.

          Friction bearing trucks aren't used today.

          www.ginosrailpage.com
          www.fjgrr.org