Re: [FJGRailroad] NSL Cars

    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 22, 2006
      Hi Gino,

      No doubt it was from the original batch of NSL per diem cars from the
      late '70s and early '80s, I'm pretty sure NSL hasn't built or bought any
      more rolling stock from then on.

      I didn't see the car so I can't tell you if it's been modified or not.
      Many railroads who bought the cars did make one visible modification.
      Just about all NSL cars had a wheel connected to the door and t track
      the went ten or eleven feet to the right of the door, this was to make
      it easier to open the door. Worked well but became a costly maintenance
      problem as the cars got older, so many lines removed the track and wheel
      assembly. The most distinguishing feature that remains on most of these
      cars is the square plaque on the door that used to carry the National
      Railway Utilization Corporation logo.

      If by "current standards" you are referring to increased height, might
      be someone out there doing this but I haven't seen any ex-NSL cars
      converted is such a way... but that doesn't mean they don't exist, just
      that I haven't seen any myself. At the time of construction back in the
      late '70s these cars exceeded the "current standard" of the day.

      Paul :-)

      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 22, 2006
        Gino,

        The FJ&G/LASB boxcars had friction bearing trucks... the NSL cars had
        roller bearing trucks... if that's what you're getting at.

        Friction bearing trucks aren't used today.

        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 22, 2006
          The M&NJ had the same problem. Cars were being returned and they literally
          had to get out a chainsaw and clear the south end of the M&NJ ROW so they
          had a place to store them. In the M&NJ's case they only used the first five
          miles of the line so this meant that the south end of the railroad, which
          had not seen a wheel in the rails in many many years had to be cleared. They
          discovered that in a couple of places someone had actually removed some of
          the rails.

          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 22, 2006
            I heard at the time this started being a problem for the NSL they had a
            100 ton hopper of coal show up at the Conrail interchange in Norwood for
            the Psychiatric Hospital in Ogdensburg. Took nearly a week to send cars
            away to be stored on other railroads as well as plugging every siding
            they could in order to open the mainline up and deliver the car... just
            in time for the next one to show up!

            Paul :-)

            joseph Klapkowski wrote:

            > The M&NJ had the same problem. Cars were being returned and they literally
            > had to get out a chainsaw and clear the south end of the M&NJ ROW so they
            > had a place to store them. In the M&NJ's case they only used the first five
            > miles of the line so this meant that the south end of the railroad, which
            > had not seen a wheel in the rails in many many years had to be cleared. They
            > discovered that in a couple of places someone had actually removed some of
            > the rails.
          • oleroadslug
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 22, 2006
              --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, "Aaron Keller" <akeller1979@...>
              wrote:

              > Gino,
              >
              > The Escanaba and Lake Superior has a large fleet of ex- St. Lawrence
              cars in service over here. There are dozens of them around Green Bay
              all the time.

              > -Aaron
              >

              >Aaron I assume, as well as I can get shots of these cars for you
              Gino. They come through Appleton to get to Green Bay. However, I don't
              think they are what your after. Paper service cars now if I'm not
              mistaken.

              Bob Schoneman

              P.S. Aaron- Got your e mail. ;-)
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 24, 2006
                Aaron,

                This is exactly what I'm talking about.  That's what I was looking for.  It was the fact that the FJG/PC cars had friction-bearing trucks making them incompatible today!  I thought that any car that was over 30 years old couldn't be switched over a class 1 railroad...

                Gino

                www.ginosrailpage.com
                www.fjgrr.org