Re: [FJGRailroad] NSL Cars

    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 21, 2006
      Gino,

      The Escanaba and Lake Superior has a large fleet of ex- St. Lawrence cars
      in service over here. There are dozens of them around Green Bay all the
      time.

      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 22, 2006
        Hi Gino and Aaron,

        At the height of "Shortline Fever" the NSL owned over 2000 50' boxcars
        under the "Incentive per Diem" program. There were so many railroads
        involved in this program they could not get a builder to build cars for
        them at a reasonable time so they started building them themselves (cars
        came as "kits" and were assembled in Ogdensburg but NSL). The couldn't
        buy enough trucks so the had a builder in Germany build trucks to North
        American standards and ship them to the port of Ogdensburg.

        The Incentive per Diem program was to increase the supply of decent
        boxcars and any money a railroad made had to go back into increasing
        their fleet of boxcars. This was a really big success and NSL was one
        of the more successful participants until the program came to an abrupt
        halt one day as there was a glut of boxcars out there (April 1st 1981 if
        I recall). Almost over night these per diem cars were returned to their
        owners. When you have 20 miles (yes, miles) of 50' boxcars returned to
        you in about a two week period and you only have about 12 miles of
        mainline you start getting into trouble. The NSL was forced to pay many
        railroads in the northeast to store large numbers of cars. Just off the
        top of my head I remember see NSL cars stored on Conrail at Massena and
        Watertown NY, Waterbury VT on the CV and from reading this list, the
        FJ&G also stored NSL cars, I'm sure there were many others. This lead to
        bargain basement prices for fairly new boxcars in pretty good condition
        and by the summer of '81 you could see ex-NSL boxcars running around
        with new reporting marks. Some of the lines that took advantage of
        picking up cheap NSL cars were CN, CP, ONT, CV, RBOX, CNW, CR, and I
        think D&H, pretty sure there were others at the time, I still see these
        cars go by with strange reporting marks that didn't exist back in the '80s.

        Paul :-)

        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 22, 2006
          I'm know my message wasn't very clear. I guess I was wondering if this
          Car I saw the other day was of the same batch as earlier NSL cars. So,
          I take it Paul, that you're saying this car I saw could be from the old
          Batch?

          If this is so, did a modification occur with these cars to bring them
          Up to current standards?

          http://us.click.yahoo.com/XISQkA/lOaOAA/yQLSAA/j2LplB/TM
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 22, 2006
            Hi Gino,

            No doubt it was from the original batch of NSL per diem cars from the
            late '70s and early '80s, I'm pretty sure NSL hasn't built or bought any
            more rolling stock from then on.

            I didn't see the car so I can't tell you if it's been modified or not.
            Many railroads who bought the cars did make one visible modification.
            Just about all NSL cars had a wheel connected to the door and t track
            the went ten or eleven feet to the right of the door, this was to make
            it easier to open the door. Worked well but became a costly maintenance
            problem as the cars got older, so many lines removed the track and wheel
            assembly. The most distinguishing feature that remains on most of these
            cars is the square plaque on the door that used to carry the National
            Railway Utilization Corporation logo.

            If by "current standards" you are referring to increased height, might
            be someone out there doing this but I haven't seen any ex-NSL cars
            converted is such a way... but that doesn't mean they don't exist, just
            that I haven't seen any myself. At the time of construction back in the
            late '70s these cars exceeded the "current standard" of the day.

            Paul :-)

            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 22, 2006
              Gino,

              The FJ&G/LASB boxcars had friction bearing trucks... the NSL cars had
              roller bearing trucks... if that's what you're getting at.

              Friction bearing trucks aren't used today.

              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 22, 2006
                The M&NJ had the same problem. Cars were being returned and they literally
                had to get out a chainsaw and clear the south end of the M&NJ ROW so they
                had a place to store them. In the M&NJ's case they only used the first five
                miles of the line so this meant that the south end of the railroad, which
                had not seen a wheel in the rails in many many years had to be cleared. They
                discovered that in a couple of places someone had actually removed some of
                the rails.

                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 22, 2006
                  I heard at the time this started being a problem for the NSL they had a
                  100 ton hopper of coal show up at the Conrail interchange in Norwood for
                  the Psychiatric Hospital in Ogdensburg. Took nearly a week to send cars
                  away to be stored on other railroads as well as plugging every siding
                  they could in order to open the mainline up and deliver the car... just
                  in time for the next one to show up!

                  Paul :-)

                  joseph Klapkowski wrote:

                  > The M&NJ had the same problem. Cars were being returned and they literally
                  > had to get out a chainsaw and clear the south end of the M&NJ ROW so they
                  > had a place to store them. In the M&NJ's case they only used the first five
                  > miles of the line so this meant that the south end of the railroad, which
                  > had not seen a wheel in the rails in many many years had to be cleared. They
                  > discovered that in a couple of places someone had actually removed some of
                  > the rails.
                • oleroadslug
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 22, 2006
                    --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, "Aaron Keller" <akeller1979@...>
                    wrote:

                    > Gino,
                    >
                    > The Escanaba and Lake Superior has a large fleet of ex- St. Lawrence
                    cars in service over here. There are dozens of them around Green Bay
                    all the time.

                    > -Aaron
                    >

                    >Aaron I assume, as well as I can get shots of these cars for you
                    Gino. They come through Appleton to get to Green Bay. However, I don't
                    think they are what your after. Paper service cars now if I'm not
                    mistaken.

                    Bob Schoneman

                    P.S. Aaron- Got your e mail. ;-)
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 24, 2006
                      Aaron,

                      This is exactly what I'm talking about.  That's what I was looking for.  It was the fact that the FJG/PC cars had friction-bearing trucks making them incompatible today!  I thought that any car that was over 30 years old couldn't be switched over a class 1 railroad...

                      Gino

                      www.ginosrailpage.com
                      www.fjgrr.org