Great Flood

  • Saul Kalbfeld
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 30, 2006
      How much of the FJ&G railtrail was flooded and is there anything in the line's history about the line being shut down by floods. Also please post some pictures if even for a short while. What are the alternative routes to CSX in the Mohawk Valley. Used to be many, but not anymore.
      Saul
      PS: They didn't call it the Water Level Route for nothing.
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 30, 2006
        The D&H list says many CSX trains are running north to Montreal; then back
        down to Buffalo I believe... although some could theoretically go to
        Syracuse and then west.

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 30, 2006
          Saul;  I talked to the track crew at Nelliston this morning and they said both lines would be open by 8 PM.  Oneonta had flooding as well so I don't know what shape that line is.  I-88  washed out in Delaware County, two truck drivers were killed there.  I got the impression that the track crew that I talked with were in Nelliston for the train wreck a few years ago, so CSX must have moved a lot of people for this event.  In St. Johnsville, carmen were changing out wheel bearings as the train that stopped there was partly under water.  Charlie

          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 1, 2006
            While the FJ&G was often bothered by high water from excessive rain or ice
            jams these two were the most significant I was able to find.

            Attached are the reports.

            PKL

            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 2, 2006
              If it wern't for bad luck.... The St. Marks church in Canajoharie had a fire this morning.  It's the one next to the thruway.  No word on amount of damage.  Charlie