Loco Direction

    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 28, 2006
      I have heard that the locomotives were kept pointing north for better
      ventilation on the climb out of Fonda. Is there any truth to that?

      Also, where would the locomotives have been turned? Gloversville was the
      last operable turntable, correct? And when did that shut down? It was
      still there in the late '80s, full of water, not a safe part of the yard to
      explore. But when was it last used?

      -Aaron
    • Glenn J. Williams
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 29, 2006
        --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, "Aaron Keller" <akeller1979@...> wrote:

        > I have heard that the locomotives were kept pointing north for better
        > ventilation on the climb out of Fonda. Is there any truth to that?
        >
        > Also, where would the locomotives have been turned? Gloversville was the
        > last operable turntable, correct? And when did that shut down? It was
        > still there in the late '80s, full of water, not a safe part of the yard to
        > explore. But when was it last used?
        >
        > -Aaron

        You are correct about the locomotive orientation, Aaron.

        I cannot help with the questions in your last paragiraffe, though. I defer to PKL on that.

        Glenn
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 30, 2006
          I've heard that too on the diesels. The steamers operated that way at least
          from the time the heavier locomotives arrived on the property, 1900.

          I believe the last time the table was turned was when the 17 was pulled out
          of the south round house in 1961. At that time the table was not able to be
          "powered" and was pulled to position to get the former coach out of the
          stall closest to the hill. At some point, I would guess when the 202 was
          pulled out, the lead was relocated so the table could be lined direct to the
          stalll across the table. Quite a bit was discussed on the turntables
          several years ago on this list.

          PKL

          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 30, 2006
            AAron I am going to guess that you "heard" that the engines were pointed
            north for better ventilation becaue I wrote that in the Rails Northeast
            artical. I believe I got that from someone working in the enginehouse back
            around 1977. The few times I was able to chase the train was in the late 70s
            and the engineer was a middle aged fellow who always seemed to wear a green
            or kaki baseball hat. The other crew member was a young guy with a pony tail
            who rode a Harley. The young guy was talkative but the engineer was not.
            That is why I believe I got the info from the guys at the enginehouse. I am
            certain that I was there in the summer of 1977 because I had just gotten my
            driver's license !

            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 1, 2006
              The engineer sounds like Bob Morey an FJ&G veteran from the forties and a
              good man.

              PKL