RE: [FJGRailroad] Re: Lease units

    Message 1 of 22 , Jun 28, 2006
      After they closed the shop they weren't capable of doing much. I recall
      when they had to shim the 20 after the wreck behind M&K Market the
      locomotive was jacked. They had no lift heavy enough to raise the
      locomotive. When heavy work, traction motors, power assemblies, wheels had
      to be done the locomotives would be sent out. While I was there they tried
      to save money turning wheel and did it with cutting devices placed on the
      brakeheads. It was to save the cost of shipping the locomotive out. I
      have a few shots from the early sixties, taken as the sun was setting of the
      two locomotives coming into Gloversville. The only time I recall seeing two
      locomotives out at the same time. One had been sent out for repairs and,
      come to think of it, this may have been the trip when the locomotive was set
      out at Yosts. Remember I wasn't around much in the early fifties when
      three crews were employed. By the late fifties retirements took there toll;
      new men were not being hired and the crew assignments were abolished till
      there was only one.

      Problem with the FJ&G and wheels was that the railroad was one big curve. As
      a result the locomotive wheels wore on one side. In the earliest diesel
      days the locomotives were occassionally turned but that ended soon because
      practice had been for years that the engineer was always on the east sdie.
      Only the passenger locomotives were turned, it appears the freight engines
      generally ran with the pilot pointed north.

      PKL