Meeting 6/28/06

  • Charles Vosburgh
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 27 12:52 PM
      I was just wondering if anyone is going to the meeting?  Charlie
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 27 5:51 PM
        Sorry - I can't go tomorrow - problems at work making
        for some long days lately.
        Jerry

        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 28 8:40 AM
          Sorry Charlie, I don't have a boat!

          Gino

          http://mail.yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 28 7:56 PM
            Charlie, how is everything in Palatine Bridge? Is the "Fort" under water?

            PKL

          • Dave Brennan
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 29 7:48 AM
                      I have a boat but I need a whole bridge !!!
                             Dave      (Peck lake)

              --- Charles Vosburgh <crvosburgh@citlink. net> wrote:

              > I was just wondering if anyone is going to the
              > meeting? Charlie

              Do You Yahoo!?
              http://mail. yahoo.com

              Do you Yahoo!?

            • Charles Vosburgh
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 30 2:16 AM
                Hi Gino;  Just got power and phone service back on.  Major flooding and 5" rain fall.  CSX wash out at Nelliston but it has been repaired.  Trains started moving last night.  Part of Daniel Green building and others washed out in Dolgeville.  Rt 5 closed at old county farm between Palatine and Fonda for wash out.  Many other roads with major damage.  Fire departments from Washinton and Rensselear countys were here.  St Johnsville, Fort Plain, and Canajoharie all had major flooding.  It pays to be on high ground.  More to follow.  Charlie.
                > I was just wondering if anyone is going to the
                > meeting? Charlie

                Do You Yahoo!?
                http://mail. yahoo.com

              • Charles Vosburgh
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 30 5:04 AM
                  Just took a ride around Ft. Plain and Canjoharie.  Still a lot of water in low areas. Trains are moving at very slow speeds and the Chicago line is still out of service.  Seems strange to see rust on the rail heads.  Both villages still without power.  The pictures of water going over the thruway were at lock 14 in Palatine,  I couldn't believe they were letting traffic drive in it.  That same water wiped out the bowling lanes and the owner is not going to rebuild.  Word is that the East Canada Creek failed and that is why St. Johnsville had so much water.  The marina has a camper area and the water was up to the tops of the trailers.  I keep track of the rainfall each year and report it to NOAA in Albany,  for this month at this location we have had 8.65"s of rain for the month of June with more on the way for today.  The ground can't hold anymore.  Charlie
                  Hi Gino;  Just got power and phone service back on.  Major flooding and 5" rain fall.  CSX wash out at Nelliston but it has been repaired.  Trains started moving last night.  Part of Daniel Green building and others washed out in Dolgeville.  Rt 5 closed at old county farm between Palatine and Fonda for wash out.  Many other roads with major damage.  Fire departments from Washinton and Rensselear countys were here.  St Johnsville, Fort Plain, and Canajoharie all had major flooding.  It pays to be on high ground.  More to follow.  Charlie.
                  > I was just wondering if anyone is going to the
                  > meeting? Charlie

                  Do You Yahoo!?
                  http://mail. yahoo.com

                • Gerald Snyder
                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 8, 2006
                    Kind of late to answer this question but at least it
                    is on the same topic.

                    I have received an offer from the Hagaman Historical
                    Society to use Pawling Hall in Hagaman as a location
                    for FJ&G meetings. I gave them a postcard program
                    earlier this year and helped coordinate their speaker
                    for last night - Malcolm Horton provided an excellent
                    show on the Erie Canal which everyone enjoyed. The
                    group president approached me after the program and
                    said that we would be welcome to use the facility. So
                    we have a standing offer that I throw out for
                    consideration. If we take them up on it, it would be
                    nice to invite their group to our first meeting
                    there(only about a dozen people) and be able to do a
                    brief slide show or some type of presentation on the
                    FJ&G. With the local Hagaman trolley line tie-in we
                    may be able to pick up some new followers from their
                    group, and a meeting location down this way may
                    attract people from this end of the line. When I was
                    in the Fulton - Montgomery Computer Users Group we
                    used to alternate meeting months between Gloversville
                    and Amsterdam to draw members from both areas.

                    Thoughts/comments/ideas?

                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 9, 2006
                      Gerry, That is an excellent location, centrally located to each end of the
                      line and not hard to reach from Goversville or Johnstown. Since it was rare
                      someone from Gloversville or Johnstown made our meetings my vote is to go
                      for it. Several years ago I did a program for them on the FJ&G and the
                      Hagaman line with a real good turnout. They are an active group with
                      interest in the FJ&G as well. Is Merril Dye still attending their meetings?
                      He is an older gentleman, in his mid nineties and the son of Fred Dye, to
                      whom we owe our gratitude for his wisdom in photographing the railroad.
                      Unfortunately his negatives, I have been told, went to someone in Vermont,
                      not me, years ago; they have not surfaced.

                      Message 10 of 10 , Sep 9, 2006
                        Great idea Jerry!  Hagaman would be an awesome location.  Much
                        closer for some people than Gloversville.  Easier to reach from
                        Route 5 and the Thruway.  That might be a great spot to start our
                        October get-together.  If that is our center of attack, a dinner at
                        Crystal Bar could be in order.  Of course this doesn't count out
                        a trip to Gloversville exploring the trolley line, but definitely something
                        different!

                        Gino

                        http://mail.yahoo.com

                        --