RE: [FJGRailroad] Engine House ??

    Message 1 of 22 , Jun 27, 2006
      Further: The diesels nos 20 and 21 were housed in the paint shop with the
      express car housed on track No. 1, closest to W. Fulton Street, from their
      first appearance on the FJ&G. There are photos of no. 30 in that building
      as well. Of course the express car took up the entire track The machine
      shop continued to be used for scheduled repairs to the steam engines as long
      as they operated. Whether 340 was housed in the machine shop after the end
      of steam and the acquisition of no. 30, 1950, I am unable to determine, I
      recall seeing it in there, however, in those years I was at the property
      rarely (it was out of my parent imposed limits - by the mid fifties I was a
      bit more adventurous). The paint shop had other uses as well, relating to
      the busses and trucks.

      No. 9 rested in the machine shop during the war, till no. 8 was damaged.

      ED confirmed the housing of 20, 21 and 340 in the forties.

      PKL

      Message 2 of 22 , Jun 28, 2006
        After they closed the shop they weren't capable of doing much. I recall
        when they had to shim the 20 after the wreck behind M&K Market the
        locomotive was jacked. They had no lift heavy enough to raise the
        locomotive. When heavy work, traction motors, power assemblies, wheels had
        to be done the locomotives would be sent out. While I was there they tried
        to save money turning wheel and did it with cutting devices placed on the
        brakeheads. It was to save the cost of shipping the locomotive out. I
        have a few shots from the early sixties, taken as the sun was setting of the
        two locomotives coming into Gloversville. The only time I recall seeing two
        locomotives out at the same time. One had been sent out for repairs and,
        come to think of it, this may have been the trip when the locomotive was set
        out at Yosts. Remember I wasn't around much in the early fifties when
        three crews were employed. By the late fifties retirements took there toll;
        new men were not being hired and the crew assignments were abolished till
        there was only one.

        Problem with the FJ&G and wheels was that the railroad was one big curve. As
        a result the locomotive wheels wore on one side. In the earliest diesel
        days the locomotives were occassionally turned but that ended soon because
        practice had been for years that the engineer was always on the east sdie.
        Only the passenger locomotives were turned, it appears the freight engines
        generally ran with the pilot pointed north.

        PKL