Loco Repairs

    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 26, 2006
      At one point one of the S-2s went to the D&H in Colonie for service. A
      friend has colour slides taken in Colonie dated in the early '70s. It was
      before the DO era.

      If I'm not mistaken... Paul Larner... did you inform me that the NYC had
      trouble moving one of the S-2s because it wasn't geared to move at mainline
      speed? This would have been before the 70s and would indicate another
      off-line servicing.

      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 27, 2006
        Yes. oward Miller related the story to me, would have been in the late
        fifties or early sixties. Do not know the problem with the locomotive,
        could have been any number of things. The unit was delivered to the NYC and
        travelled only as far as Yosts before having to be set out. They were
        geared low, 35 mph was their maximum speed, more than enough for the FJ&G.
        The issue necessitating the set out, however, may have been a hot journal
        bearing, traction motor bearing, ... - this was a long time ago.

        PKL

        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 28, 2006
          Speaking of Yosts, Was this the list where I saw the picture of the Tower at
          Yosts ? If so, whoever posted that photo could you post it again?

          Where exactly was Yosts relative to today's Rt 5 ? Is it where that
          residence is that used to be a Bar just short of the Katerie Shrine?

          >From: "paul larner" <pklarner@...>
          >To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: RE: [FJGRailroad] Loco Repairs
          >Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 11:40:53 -0400
          >
          >Yes. oward Miller related the story to me, would have been in the late
          >fifties or early sixties. Do not know the problem with the locomotive,
          >could have been any number of things. The unit was delivered to the NYC
          >and
          >travelled only as far as Yosts before having to be set out. They were
          >geared low, 35 mph was their maximum speed, more than enough for the FJ&G.
          >The issue necessitating the set out, however, may have been a hot journal
          >bearing, traction motor bearing, ... - this was a long time ago.
          >
          >PKL
          >

          > >From: "Aaron Keller" <akeller1979@...>
          > >To: <FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com>
          > >Subject: [FJGRailroad] Loco Repairs
          > >Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 22:19:52 -0500
          > >
          > >At one point one of the S-2s went to the D&H in Colonie for service. A
          > >friend has colour slides taken in Colonie dated in the early '70s. It
          >was
          > >before the DO era.
          > >
          > >If I'm not mistaken... Paul Larner... did you inform me that the NYC had
          > >trouble moving one of the S-2s because it wasn't geared to move at
          >mainline
          > >speed? This would have been before the 70s and would indicate another
          > >off-line servicing.
          > >
          > >-Aaron

        • Michael Christie
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 28, 2006
            I believe Yosts is near the parking area off of Route 5 if you are headed eastbound.  Should be across from the Montgomery County fire training tower.  Someone please correct me if I'm wrong :-)

            -Mike

            On 6/28/06, joseph Klapkowski <riverlinejoe@...> wrote:
            Speaking of Yosts, Was this the list where I saw the picture of the Tower at
            Yosts ? If so, whoever posted that photo could you post it again?

            Where exactly was Yosts relative to today's Rt 5 ? Is it where that
            residence is that used to be a Bar just short of the Katerie Shrine?

            >From: "paul larner" < pklarner@...>
            >To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
            >Subject: RE: [FJGRailroad] Loco Repairs
            >Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 11:40:53 -0400
            >
            >Yes.  oward Miller related the story to me, would have been in the late
            >fifties or early sixties.  Do not know the problem with the locomotive,
            >could have been any number of things.  The unit was delivered to the NYC
            >and
            >travelled only as far as Yosts before having to be set out.  They were
            >geared low, 35 mph was their maximum speed, more than enough for the FJ&G.
            >The issue necessitating the set out, however, may have been a hot journal
            >bearing, traction motor bearing, ... - this was a long time ago.
            >
            >PKL
            >

            > >From: "Aaron Keller" <akeller1979@... >
            > >To: <FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com>
            > >Subject: [FJGRailroad] Loco Repairs
            > >Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 22:19:52 -0500
            > >
            > >At one point one of the S-2s went to the D&H in Colonie for service.  A
            > >friend has colour slides taken in Colonie dated in the early '70s.  It
            >was
            > >before the DO era.
            > >
            > >If I'm not mistaken... Paul Larner... did you inform me that the NYC had
            > >trouble moving one of the S-2s because it wasn't geared to move at
            >mainline
            > >speed?  This would have been before the 70s and would indicate another
            > >off-line servicing.
            > >
            > >-Aaron

            Great things are happening at Yahoo! Groups.  See the new email design.
            http://us.click.yahoo.com/TISQkA/hOaOAA/yQLSAA/j2LplB/TM

               http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 28, 2006
              Yosts is about six miles west of Fonda. There is a building on the north
              side of route 5 with a door large enought to have a locomotive or freight
              car enter. It used to be evident that a track did cross the road at that
              point toward the building. If I recall correctly there were track pans at
              Yosts. It is the settlement of houses, bar and miscellaneous buildings on
              the straight just before big nose curve. There is a rest area on the south
              side of Rte 5 at the west end of the location.

              PKL

              >From: "joseph Klapkowski" <riverlinejoe@...>
              >To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
              >Subject: RE: [FJGRailroad] Loco Repairs
              >Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 20:27:29 +0000
              >
              >Speaking of Yosts, Was this the list where I saw the picture of the Tower
              >at
              >Yosts ? If so, whoever posted that photo could you post it again?
              >
              >Where exactly was Yosts relative to today's Rt 5 ? Is it where that
              >residence is that used to be a Bar just short of the Katerie Shrine?
              >

              > >From: "paul larner" <pklarner@...>
              > >To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
              > >Subject: RE: [FJGRailroad] Loco Repairs
              > >Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 11:40:53 -0400
              > >
              > >Yes. oward Miller related the story to me, would have been in the late
              > >fifties or early sixties. Do not know the problem with the locomotive,
              > >could have been any number of things. The unit was delivered to the NYC
              > >and
              > >travelled only as far as Yosts before having to be set out. They were
              > >geared low, 35 mph was their maximum speed, more than enough for the
              >FJ&G.
              > >The issue necessitating the set out, however, may have been a hot journal
              > >bearing, traction motor bearing, ... - this was a long time ago.
              > >
              > >PKL
              > >

              > > >From: "Aaron Keller" <akeller1979@...>
              > > >To: <FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com>
              > > >Subject: [FJGRailroad] Loco Repairs
              > > >Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 22:19:52 -0500
              > > >
              > > >At one point one of the S-2s went to the D&H in Colonie for service. A
              > > >friend has colour slides taken in Colonie dated in the early '70s. It
              > >was
              > > >before the DO era.
              > > >
              > > >If I'm not mistaken... Paul Larner... did you inform me that the NYC
              >had
              > > >trouble moving one of the S-2s because it wasn't geared to move at
              > >mainline
              > > >speed? This would have been before the 70s and would indicate another
              > > >off-line servicing.
              > > >
              > > >-Aaron

            • Glenn J. Williams
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 29, 2006
                --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Christie" <csxhudson@...> wrote:

                > I believe Yosts is near the parking area off of Route 5 if you are headed
                > eastbound. Should be across from the Montgomery County fire training
                > tower. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong :-)
                >
                > -Mike

                Mike,

                You are right. The parking area on the right, just after going east around Big Nose, is
                Yosts.

                The parking area is where the coaling tower, water tank, and water spouts were located,
                though you would not know it now for all the vegetation. The water pans, for high-speed
                refilling of tenders on Hudsons, Niagaras, and (I believe) some Mohawks were also located
                there.

                Glenn
                Penacook, NH
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 29, 2006
                  I don't know if you've ever seen Curley's Hideaway Joe, but that's
                  Yosts. And yes, the Shrine is there too!

                  Speaking of Yosts, Was this the list where I saw the picture of the
                  Tower at Yosts ? If so, whoever posted that photo could you post it
                  again?

                  Where exactly was Yosts relative to today's Rt 5 ? Is it where that
                  residence is that used to be a Bar just short of the Katerie Shrine?

                  >From: "paul larner" <pklarner@...>
                  >To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                  >Subject: RE: [FJGRailroad] Loco Repairs
                  >Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 11:40:53 -0400
                  >
                  >Yes. oward Miller related the story to me, would have been in the late
                  >fifties or early sixties. Do not know the problem with the locomotive,
                  >could have been any number of things. The unit was delivered to the
                  NYC
                  >and
                  >travelled only as far as Yosts before having to be set out. They were
                  >geared low, 35 mph was their maximum speed, more than enough for the
                  FJ&G.
                  >The issue necessitating the set out, however, may have been a hot
                  journal
                  >bearing, traction motor bearing, ... - this was a long time ago.
                  >
                  >PKL
                  >

                  > >From: "Aaron Keller" <akeller1979@...>
                  > >To: <FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com>
                  > >Subject: [FJGRailroad] Loco Repairs
                  > >Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 22:19:52 -0500
                  > >
                  > >At one point one of the S-2s went to the D&H in Colonie for service.
                  > >friend has colour slides taken in Colonie dated in the early '70s.
                  It
                  >was
                  > >before the DO era.
                  > >
                  > >If I'm not mistaken... Paul Larner... did you inform me that the NYC
                  had
                  > >trouble moving one of the S-2s because it wasn't geared to move at
                  >mainline
                  > >speed? This would have been before the 70s and would indicate
                  another
                  > >off-line servicing.
                  > >
                  > >-Aaron

                  Visit Pete Seftons Lost Landmark Page
                  http://www.lostlandmarks.org
                  Visit Charles P. Woolever's Existing Railroad Stations in New York State
                  at
                  http://ny.existingstations.com/
                  Yahoo! Groups Links
                • Charles Vosburgh
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 30, 2006
                    Paul;  That ROW at Yost is still there and can be seen in the spring time when the weeds are down.  I have seen that photo of the tower but can't remember where.  It made me laugh when the county was working on that site and found a underground fuel tank.  I guess they forgot that there was a truck stop there after the railroad sold the property.  Charlie