Re: [FJGRailroad] Lease units

    Message 1 of 22 , Jun 24, 2006
      I don't believe the Adirondack engines were in operation; although I don't
      know for sure. I've not seen a picture of one with the headlight lit.

      Arcade & Attica 44-tonner #111 was rebuilt while on the FJ&G; yes, my
      understanding is that it was tested while on the FJ&G.

      Message 2 of 22 , Jun 24, 2006
        Unfortunately I have to go off the top of my head today because everything
        is packed up and piled up, thus unable to be accessed. When you speak of
        the NYC diesel tried out by FJ&G, the number 8512 came to mind. Checking my
        NYC files: the 8512 was a 1944 Alco S-2. Sorry I can't be more definite.
        Perhaps that's the picture you have Joe with the locomotive on the main
        track adjacent to the Gloversville GOB and a couple men looking it over. If
        not the 8512 I believe the unit tested was indeed another S-2.

        PKL

        >From: Paul Charland <p.charlie@...>
        >To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] Lease units
        >Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 09:18:51 -0400
        >
        >NYC didn't have any T-6s, maybe an Alco demonstrator or someone's T-6
        >being diverted during delivery for the FJ&G to test for a day or two.
        >
        >Paul :-)
        >
        >joseph Klapkowski wrote:
        > > Was that unit a T-6. I have a B&W photo somewhere of a black diuesel
        >that
        > > looks like a T-6 and the location appears to be the Johnstown frieght
        >house.
      • oleroadslug
        Message 3 of 22 , Jun 25, 2006
          > Arcade & Attica 44-tonner #111 was rebuilt while on the FJ&G; yes, my
          > understanding is that it was tested while on the FJ&G.
          >
          > -Aaron

          Though I remember the very last days of the FJ&G and all the greenish
          blue PC cars by 30A and around town, as well as the facilities; it is
          hard for me to fathom FJ&G fixing anything due to size and facilities
          constraints.

          Though 44 tonners were small, did the road do all their major repair of
          the two locos or farm it out?

          Bob Schoneman
          Appleton, WI

          Wishing I was swimming in Sacandaga about now.
        • oleroadslug
          Message 4 of 22 , Jun 25, 2006
            Was/Is the engine facility, if I remember, the long building that was
            turned into a feed store. No, I'm not talking about the coal buildings.

            RJS
            Message 5 of 22 , Jun 25, 2006
              Hi,

              No, the enginehouse was just to the west of the one you are thinking of,
              had three tracks going into it from the same track that also served the
              feed store.

              Paul :-)

              Message 6 of 22 , Jun 25, 2006
                Bob,

                One of the things the DO/FJG wanted to do was become an engine
                repair facility.  I think the A&A loco was the first and last customer!

                Gino

                --
                www.ginosrailpage.com
                www.fjgrr.org
                Message 7 of 22 , Jun 25, 2006
                  Bob,

                  Pictures do exist (somewhere) of the A&A 111 in operation on the FJ&G. I'm
                  not sure who had them; but I've seen 'em. There was also a picture of it
                  in the Leader-Herald. It was during the first few years of DO ownership.

                  Aaron
                  Green Bay, WI

                • choochoo1802@webtv.net
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jun 25, 2006
                    Are you guys having a get together this year?Mark
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jun 26, 2006
                      I believe the FJ&G did all its own repairs. However there were things that
                      they were certainly not capable of. For instance I think it was the 20 that
                      had the cracked block. I do not belive the Gloversville shop was equipped to
                      change out a prime mover.

                      Message 10 of 22 , Jun 26, 2006
                        I suppose the answer to the "engine house" would depend on when you are
                        considering. The principal brick buildings three. The machine shop was the
                        long building at the corner of W. Fulton and Broad Street. Locomotives were
                        stored in there and I believe No. 340 was quartered in that building. The
                        next building, the one with the three tracks into it, was designated as the
                        paint shop after 1911, when the new carpenter shop was built at a ninety
                        degree angle and connected to the paint shop on the south side. There were
                        three other brick buildings in that area owned by the railroad - the stores
                        building, blacksmith shop and the foundry building run privately.

                        In my experience the diesels 20 and 21 were kept in the paint shop on the
                        outside tracks. 30, when active, was probably kept in there also, though it
                        was in the new carpenter shop pending sale. I recall the flanger, S-2,
                        being kept on the middle track in the sixties. The names - machine, paint
                        and carpenter - were used at least as long as old timers still worked the
                        railroad. The gas cars, 200, 201, 202, were kept in the north round house.
                        202 was in there before being sold.

                        My recollections are after the bus business was terminated. Prior to that
                        the Paint shop was also the repair shop for trucks and busses and also a
                        garage for the trucks until the end of the mail contract in 1964 (trucks
                        were also kept in the carpenter shop). The east end of the building was
                        reconfigured to a garage style door to facilitate the busses and trucks. I
                        recall having heard or read a reference to the paint shop as a bus garage,
                        though the old coach house, the long wooden building west and across the
                        tracks from the paint and carpenter shops, was used as a bus garage too.

                        I have heard that No. 9 spent most of the late thirties and early forties OS
                        at the end of track in the machine shop. When No. 8 went over, it was
                        quickly put back into service for a couple more years. No. 8 did return to
                        service but I don't think she was ever the same; hence No. 9 getting the
                        notoriety in the final years of steam on the FJ&G. Some believe No. 9 was
                        not as serviceable an engine as the 8 and may never have been returned to
                        service had it not been for the Johnstown Road derailment of 8.

                        From various photos at different periods it would seem that the different
                        tracks in all of the buildings were used for whatever they were available,
                        convenient or needed. The machine shop was the primary point of repair for
                        all locomotives until the shop was closed, circa 1957. To avoid exposure
                        the combines and coach 17 were also put whereever they could be out of harms
                        way. The combines were for a time kept in the new coal house, coach 17 in
                        the south round house. In busier times, when there were employees working
                        mostly around the clock, rolling stock was stored out of doors in the west
                        yard.

                        Check Rand Warner's notes, posted to this list perhaps four years ago, for
                        more information on the period at the end of the forties and early fifties.

                        Perhaps Mark can share with us how the buildings were designated and used in
                        the DO years.

                        Message 11 of 22 , Jun 27, 2006
                          Further: The diesels nos 20 and 21 were housed in the paint shop with the
                          express car housed on track No. 1, closest to W. Fulton Street, from their
                          first appearance on the FJ&G. There are photos of no. 30 in that building
                          as well. Of course the express car took up the entire track The machine
                          shop continued to be used for scheduled repairs to the steam engines as long
                          as they operated. Whether 340 was housed in the machine shop after the end
                          of steam and the acquisition of no. 30, 1950, I am unable to determine, I
                          recall seeing it in there, however, in those years I was at the property
                          rarely (it was out of my parent imposed limits - by the mid fifties I was a
                          bit more adventurous). The paint shop had other uses as well, relating to
                          the busses and trucks.

                          No. 9 rested in the machine shop during the war, till no. 8 was damaged.

                          ED confirmed the housing of 20, 21 and 340 in the forties.

                          PKL

                          Message 12 of 22 , Jun 28, 2006
                            After they closed the shop they weren't capable of doing much. I recall
                            when they had to shim the 20 after the wreck behind M&K Market the
                            locomotive was jacked. They had no lift heavy enough to raise the
                            locomotive. When heavy work, traction motors, power assemblies, wheels had
                            to be done the locomotives would be sent out. While I was there they tried
                            to save money turning wheel and did it with cutting devices placed on the
                            brakeheads. It was to save the cost of shipping the locomotive out. I
                            have a few shots from the early sixties, taken as the sun was setting of the
                            two locomotives coming into Gloversville. The only time I recall seeing two
                            locomotives out at the same time. One had been sent out for repairs and,
                            come to think of it, this may have been the trip when the locomotive was set
                            out at Yosts. Remember I wasn't around much in the early fifties when
                            three crews were employed. By the late fifties retirements took there toll;
                            new men were not being hired and the crew assignments were abolished till
                            there was only one.

                            Problem with the FJ&G and wheels was that the railroad was one big curve. As
                            a result the locomotive wheels wore on one side. In the earliest diesel
                            days the locomotives were occassionally turned but that ended soon because
                            practice had been for years that the engineer was always on the east sdie.
                            Only the passenger locomotives were turned, it appears the freight engines
                            generally ran with the pilot pointed north.

                            PKL