Re: [FJGRailroad] Lease units

  • choochoo1802@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 22 , Jun 24, 2006
      Gino- We call ALCO's puke monsters on our line. They do nothing but spit
      oil every place,shut down very often. We are having big problems with
      them. Mark
    • Gino DiCarlo
      Message 2 of 22 , Jun 24, 2006
        Someone told me ALCO stands for "All Liquids Come
        Out." I guess you're telling me this is true!

        I can't imagine them running today without problem,
        but they're still my favorite diesel manufaturer!!!

        Gino

        http://mail.yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 22 , Jun 24, 2006
          I don't believe the Adirondack engines were in operation; although I don't
          know for sure. I've not seen a picture of one with the headlight lit.

          Arcade & Attica 44-tonner #111 was rebuilt while on the FJ&G; yes, my
          understanding is that it was tested while on the FJ&G.

          Message 4 of 22 , Jun 24, 2006
            Unfortunately I have to go off the top of my head today because everything
            is packed up and piled up, thus unable to be accessed. When you speak of
            the NYC diesel tried out by FJ&G, the number 8512 came to mind. Checking my
            NYC files: the 8512 was a 1944 Alco S-2. Sorry I can't be more definite.
            Perhaps that's the picture you have Joe with the locomotive on the main
            track adjacent to the Gloversville GOB and a couple men looking it over. If
            not the 8512 I believe the unit tested was indeed another S-2.

            PKL

            >From: Paul Charland <p.charlie@...>
            >To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
            >Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] Lease units
            >Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 09:18:51 -0400
            >
            >NYC didn't have any T-6s, maybe an Alco demonstrator or someone's T-6
            >being diverted during delivery for the FJ&G to test for a day or two.
            >
            >Paul :-)
            >
            >joseph Klapkowski wrote:
            > > Was that unit a T-6. I have a B&W photo somewhere of a black diuesel
            >that
            > > looks like a T-6 and the location appears to be the Johnstown frieght
            >house.
          • oleroadslug
            Message 5 of 22 , Jun 25, 2006
              > Arcade & Attica 44-tonner #111 was rebuilt while on the FJ&G; yes, my
              > understanding is that it was tested while on the FJ&G.
              >
              > -Aaron

              Though I remember the very last days of the FJ&G and all the greenish
              blue PC cars by 30A and around town, as well as the facilities; it is
              hard for me to fathom FJ&G fixing anything due to size and facilities
              constraints.

              Though 44 tonners were small, did the road do all their major repair of
              the two locos or farm it out?

              Bob Schoneman
              Appleton, WI

              Wishing I was swimming in Sacandaga about now.
            • oleroadslug
              Message 6 of 22 , Jun 25, 2006
                Was/Is the engine facility, if I remember, the long building that was
                turned into a feed store. No, I'm not talking about the coal buildings.

                RJS
                Message 7 of 22 , Jun 25, 2006
                  Hi,

                  No, the enginehouse was just to the west of the one you are thinking of,
                  had three tracks going into it from the same track that also served the
                  feed store.

                  Paul :-)

                  Message 8 of 22 , Jun 25, 2006
                    Bob,

                    One of the things the DO/FJG wanted to do was become an engine
                    repair facility.  I think the A&A loco was the first and last customer!

                    Gino

                    --
                    www.ginosrailpage.com
                    www.fjgrr.org
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jun 25, 2006
                      Bob,

                      Pictures do exist (somewhere) of the A&A 111 in operation on the FJ&G. I'm
                      not sure who had them; but I've seen 'em. There was also a picture of it
                      in the Leader-Herald. It was during the first few years of DO ownership.

                      Aaron
                      Green Bay, WI

                      Message 10 of 22 , Jun 25, 2006
                        Are you guys having a get together this year?Mark
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jun 26, 2006
                          I believe the FJ&G did all its own repairs. However there were things that
                          they were certainly not capable of. For instance I think it was the 20 that
                          had the cracked block. I do not belive the Gloversville shop was equipped to
                          change out a prime mover.

                          Message 12 of 22 , Jun 26, 2006
                            I suppose the answer to the "engine house" would depend on when you are
                            considering. The principal brick buildings three. The machine shop was the
                            long building at the corner of W. Fulton and Broad Street. Locomotives were
                            stored in there and I believe No. 340 was quartered in that building. The
                            next building, the one with the three tracks into it, was designated as the
                            paint shop after 1911, when the new carpenter shop was built at a ninety
                            degree angle and connected to the paint shop on the south side. There were
                            three other brick buildings in that area owned by the railroad - the stores
                            building, blacksmith shop and the foundry building run privately.

                            In my experience the diesels 20 and 21 were kept in the paint shop on the
                            outside tracks. 30, when active, was probably kept in there also, though it
                            was in the new carpenter shop pending sale. I recall the flanger, S-2,
                            being kept on the middle track in the sixties. The names - machine, paint
                            and carpenter - were used at least as long as old timers still worked the
                            railroad. The gas cars, 200, 201, 202, were kept in the north round house.
                            202 was in there before being sold.

                            My recollections are after the bus business was terminated. Prior to that
                            the Paint shop was also the repair shop for trucks and busses and also a
                            garage for the trucks until the end of the mail contract in 1964 (trucks
                            were also kept in the carpenter shop). The east end of the building was
                            reconfigured to a garage style door to facilitate the busses and trucks. I
                            recall having heard or read a reference to the paint shop as a bus garage,
                            though the old coach house, the long wooden building west and across the
                            tracks from the paint and carpenter shops, was used as a bus garage too.

                            I have heard that No. 9 spent most of the late thirties and early forties OS
                            at the end of track in the machine shop. When No. 8 went over, it was
                            quickly put back into service for a couple more years. No. 8 did return to
                            service but I don't think she was ever the same; hence No. 9 getting the
                            notoriety in the final years of steam on the FJ&G. Some believe No. 9 was
                            not as serviceable an engine as the 8 and may never have been returned to
                            service had it not been for the Johnstown Road derailment of 8.

                            From various photos at different periods it would seem that the different
                            tracks in all of the buildings were used for whatever they were available,
                            convenient or needed. The machine shop was the primary point of repair for
                            all locomotives until the shop was closed, circa 1957. To avoid exposure
                            the combines and coach 17 were also put whereever they could be out of harms
                            way. The combines were for a time kept in the new coal house, coach 17 in
                            the south round house. In busier times, when there were employees working
                            mostly around the clock, rolling stock was stored out of doors in the west
                            yard.

                            Check Rand Warner's notes, posted to this list perhaps four years ago, for
                            more information on the period at the end of the forties and early fifties.

                            Perhaps Mark can share with us how the buildings were designated and used in
                            the DO years.

                            Message 13 of 22 , Jun 27, 2006
                              Further: The diesels nos 20 and 21 were housed in the paint shop with the
                              express car housed on track No. 1, closest to W. Fulton Street, from their
                              first appearance on the FJ&G. There are photos of no. 30 in that building
                              as well. Of course the express car took up the entire track The machine
                              shop continued to be used for scheduled repairs to the steam engines as long
                              as they operated. Whether 340 was housed in the machine shop after the end
                              of steam and the acquisition of no. 30, 1950, I am unable to determine, I
                              recall seeing it in there, however, in those years I was at the property
                              rarely (it was out of my parent imposed limits - by the mid fifties I was a
                              bit more adventurous). The paint shop had other uses as well, relating to
                              the busses and trucks.

                              No. 9 rested in the machine shop during the war, till no. 8 was damaged.

                              ED confirmed the housing of 20, 21 and 340 in the forties.

                              PKL

                              Message 14 of 22 , Jun 28, 2006
                                After they closed the shop they weren't capable of doing much. I recall
                                when they had to shim the 20 after the wreck behind M&K Market the
                                locomotive was jacked. They had no lift heavy enough to raise the
                                locomotive. When heavy work, traction motors, power assemblies, wheels had
                                to be done the locomotives would be sent out. While I was there they tried
                                to save money turning wheel and did it with cutting devices placed on the
                                brakeheads. It was to save the cost of shipping the locomotive out. I
                                have a few shots from the early sixties, taken as the sun was setting of the
                                two locomotives coming into Gloversville. The only time I recall seeing two
                                locomotives out at the same time. One had been sent out for repairs and,
                                come to think of it, this may have been the trip when the locomotive was set
                                out at Yosts. Remember I wasn't around much in the early fifties when
                                three crews were employed. By the late fifties retirements took there toll;
                                new men were not being hired and the crew assignments were abolished till
                                there was only one.

                                Problem with the FJ&G and wheels was that the railroad was one big curve. As
                                a result the locomotive wheels wore on one side. In the earliest diesel
                                days the locomotives were occassionally turned but that ended soon because
                                practice had been for years that the engineer was always on the east sdie.
                                Only the passenger locomotives were turned, it appears the freight engines
                                generally ran with the pilot pointed north.

                                PKL