Re: [FJGRailroad] Lease units

    Message 1 of 22 , Jun 23, 2006
      NYC didn't have any T-6s, maybe an Alco demonstrator or someone's T-6
      being diverted during delivery for the FJ&G to test for a day or two.

      Paul :-)

      Message 2 of 22 , Jun 23, 2006
        I believe it was a NYC S-1. Nestle did an article for the Mohawk & Hudson
        NRHS newsletter back in the early 90s. I have a few pictures somewhere...
        I'll try to dig them up later today.

        Message 3 of 22 , Jun 23, 2006
          I will try to dig out the photo of the mysterious black unit that I have in
          Johnstown. it sure looks like a T-6 to me.

          Message 4 of 22 , Jun 24, 2006
            Hi Joe,

            Are the front corners of the top of the hood caved in with number boards
            like an RS-11, that's the easiest way to spot a T-6.

            Where's a shot of an ex-Pennsylvania unit:

            http://crcyc.railfan.net/locos/alco/t6/xprr9844c.jpg

            Paul :-)

            joseph Klapkowski wrote:
            > I will try to dig out the photo of the mysterious black unit that I have in
            > Johnstown. it sure looks like a T-6 to me.
          • Gino DiCarlo
            Message 5 of 22 , Jun 24, 2006
              Those are neat untits. Any ALCO is a neat engine in
              my book. We can't overlook NYC steam power on the
              FJ&G in the old days. Not DO era, but I would consider
              them 'leased' units.

              Here's a question. Were the Adirondack units ever put
              in service on the FJ&G? Also, one of the Arcade and
              Attica 44-tonners was repaired on the FJ&G, did they
              test her in service?

              Gino

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • choochoo1802@webtv.net
              Message 6 of 22 , Jun 24, 2006
                Gino- We call ALCO's puke monsters on our line. They do nothing but spit
                oil every place,shut down very often. We are having big problems with
                them. Mark
              • Gino DiCarlo
                Message 7 of 22 , Jun 24, 2006
                  Someone told me ALCO stands for "All Liquids Come
                  Out." I guess you're telling me this is true!

                  I can't imagine them running today without problem,
                  but they're still my favorite diesel manufaturer!!!

                  Gino

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jun 24, 2006
                    I don't believe the Adirondack engines were in operation; although I don't
                    know for sure. I've not seen a picture of one with the headlight lit.

                    Arcade & Attica 44-tonner #111 was rebuilt while on the FJ&G; yes, my
                    understanding is that it was tested while on the FJ&G.

                    Message 9 of 22 , Jun 24, 2006
                      Unfortunately I have to go off the top of my head today because everything
                      is packed up and piled up, thus unable to be accessed. When you speak of
                      the NYC diesel tried out by FJ&G, the number 8512 came to mind. Checking my
                      NYC files: the 8512 was a 1944 Alco S-2. Sorry I can't be more definite.
                      Perhaps that's the picture you have Joe with the locomotive on the main
                      track adjacent to the Gloversville GOB and a couple men looking it over. If
                      not the 8512 I believe the unit tested was indeed another S-2.

                      PKL

                      >From: Paul Charland <p.charlie@...>
                      >To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                      >Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] Lease units
                      >Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 09:18:51 -0400
                      >
                      >NYC didn't have any T-6s, maybe an Alco demonstrator or someone's T-6
                      >being diverted during delivery for the FJ&G to test for a day or two.
                      >
                      >Paul :-)
                      >
                      >joseph Klapkowski wrote:
                      > > Was that unit a T-6. I have a B&W photo somewhere of a black diuesel
                      >that
                      > > looks like a T-6 and the location appears to be the Johnstown frieght
                      >house.
                    • oleroadslug
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jun 25, 2006
                        > Arcade & Attica 44-tonner #111 was rebuilt while on the FJ&G; yes, my
                        > understanding is that it was tested while on the FJ&G.
                        >
                        > -Aaron

                        Though I remember the very last days of the FJ&G and all the greenish
                        blue PC cars by 30A and around town, as well as the facilities; it is
                        hard for me to fathom FJ&G fixing anything due to size and facilities
                        constraints.

                        Though 44 tonners were small, did the road do all their major repair of
                        the two locos or farm it out?

                        Bob Schoneman
                        Appleton, WI

                        Wishing I was swimming in Sacandaga about now.
                      • oleroadslug
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jun 25, 2006
                          Was/Is the engine facility, if I remember, the long building that was
                          turned into a feed store. No, I'm not talking about the coal buildings.

                          RJS
                          Message 12 of 22 , Jun 25, 2006
                            Hi,

                            No, the enginehouse was just to the west of the one you are thinking of,
                            had three tracks going into it from the same track that also served the
                            feed store.

                            Paul :-)

                            Message 13 of 22 , Jun 25, 2006
                              Bob,

                              One of the things the DO/FJG wanted to do was become an engine
                              repair facility.  I think the A&A loco was the first and last customer!

                              Gino

                              --
                              www.ginosrailpage.com
                              www.fjgrr.org
                              Message 14 of 22 , Jun 25, 2006
                                Bob,

                                Pictures do exist (somewhere) of the A&A 111 in operation on the FJ&G. I'm
                                not sure who had them; but I've seen 'em. There was also a picture of it
                                in the Leader-Herald. It was during the first few years of DO ownership.

                                Aaron
                                Green Bay, WI

                                Message 15 of 22 , Jun 25, 2006
                                  Are you guys having a get together this year?Mark
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Jun 26, 2006
                                    I believe the FJ&G did all its own repairs. However there were things that
                                    they were certainly not capable of. For instance I think it was the 20 that
                                    had the cracked block. I do not belive the Gloversville shop was equipped to
                                    change out a prime mover.

                                    Message 17 of 22 , Jun 26, 2006
                                      I suppose the answer to the "engine house" would depend on when you are
                                      considering. The principal brick buildings three. The machine shop was the
                                      long building at the corner of W. Fulton and Broad Street. Locomotives were
                                      stored in there and I believe No. 340 was quartered in that building. The
                                      next building, the one with the three tracks into it, was designated as the
                                      paint shop after 1911, when the new carpenter shop was built at a ninety
                                      degree angle and connected to the paint shop on the south side. There were
                                      three other brick buildings in that area owned by the railroad - the stores
                                      building, blacksmith shop and the foundry building run privately.

                                      In my experience the diesels 20 and 21 were kept in the paint shop on the
                                      outside tracks. 30, when active, was probably kept in there also, though it
                                      was in the new carpenter shop pending sale. I recall the flanger, S-2,
                                      being kept on the middle track in the sixties. The names - machine, paint
                                      and carpenter - were used at least as long as old timers still worked the
                                      railroad. The gas cars, 200, 201, 202, were kept in the north round house.
                                      202 was in there before being sold.

                                      My recollections are after the bus business was terminated. Prior to that
                                      the Paint shop was also the repair shop for trucks and busses and also a
                                      garage for the trucks until the end of the mail contract in 1964 (trucks
                                      were also kept in the carpenter shop). The east end of the building was
                                      reconfigured to a garage style door to facilitate the busses and trucks. I
                                      recall having heard or read a reference to the paint shop as a bus garage,
                                      though the old coach house, the long wooden building west and across the
                                      tracks from the paint and carpenter shops, was used as a bus garage too.

                                      I have heard that No. 9 spent most of the late thirties and early forties OS
                                      at the end of track in the machine shop. When No. 8 went over, it was
                                      quickly put back into service for a couple more years. No. 8 did return to
                                      service but I don't think she was ever the same; hence No. 9 getting the
                                      notoriety in the final years of steam on the FJ&G. Some believe No. 9 was
                                      not as serviceable an engine as the 8 and may never have been returned to
                                      service had it not been for the Johnstown Road derailment of 8.

                                      From various photos at different periods it would seem that the different
                                      tracks in all of the buildings were used for whatever they were available,
                                      convenient or needed. The machine shop was the primary point of repair for
                                      all locomotives until the shop was closed, circa 1957. To avoid exposure
                                      the combines and coach 17 were also put whereever they could be out of harms
                                      way. The combines were for a time kept in the new coal house, coach 17 in
                                      the south round house. In busier times, when there were employees working
                                      mostly around the clock, rolling stock was stored out of doors in the west
                                      yard.

                                      Check Rand Warner's notes, posted to this list perhaps four years ago, for
                                      more information on the period at the end of the forties and early fifties.

                                      Perhaps Mark can share with us how the buildings were designated and used in
                                      the DO years.

                                      PKL

                                      Message 18 of 22 , Jun 27, 2006
                                        Further: The diesels nos 20 and 21 were housed in the paint shop with the
                                        express car housed on track No. 1, closest to W. Fulton Street, from their
                                        first appearance on the FJ&G. There are photos of no. 30 in that building
                                        as well. Of course the express car took up the entire track The machine
                                        shop continued to be used for scheduled repairs to the steam engines as long
                                        as they operated. Whether 340 was housed in the machine shop after the end
                                        of steam and the acquisition of no. 30, 1950, I am unable to determine, I
                                        recall seeing it in there, however, in those years I was at the property
                                        rarely (it was out of my parent imposed limits - by the mid fifties I was a
                                        bit more adventurous). The paint shop had other uses as well, relating to
                                        the busses and trucks.

                                        No. 9 rested in the machine shop during the war, till no. 8 was damaged.

                                        ED confirmed the housing of 20, 21 and 340 in the forties.

                                        PKL

                                        Message 19 of 22 , Jun 28, 2006
                                          After they closed the shop they weren't capable of doing much. I recall
                                          when they had to shim the 20 after the wreck behind M&K Market the
                                          locomotive was jacked. They had no lift heavy enough to raise the
                                          locomotive. When heavy work, traction motors, power assemblies, wheels had
                                          to be done the locomotives would be sent out. While I was there they tried
                                          to save money turning wheel and did it with cutting devices placed on the
                                          brakeheads. It was to save the cost of shipping the locomotive out. I
                                          have a few shots from the early sixties, taken as the sun was setting of the
                                          two locomotives coming into Gloversville. The only time I recall seeing two
                                          locomotives out at the same time. One had been sent out for repairs and,
                                          come to think of it, this may have been the trip when the locomotive was set
                                          out at Yosts. Remember I wasn't around much in the early fifties when
                                          three crews were employed. By the late fifties retirements took there toll;
                                          new men were not being hired and the crew assignments were abolished till
                                          there was only one.

                                          Problem with the FJ&G and wheels was that the railroad was one big curve. As
                                          a result the locomotive wheels wore on one side. In the earliest diesel
                                          days the locomotives were occassionally turned but that ended soon because
                                          practice had been for years that the engineer was always on the east sdie.
                                          Only the passenger locomotives were turned, it appears the freight engines
                                          generally ran with the pilot pointed north.

                                          PKL