Lease units

  • Dan Sapochetti
    Message 1 of 22 , Jun 22, 2006
      Did FJG ever have any lease units?(NYC,PC etc)Before DO tok them over.
      Message 2 of 22 , Jun 22, 2006
        I'm assuming you're talking diesel. Only case I can think of is when the
        NYC sent one of its switchers as a demonstrator. This was shortly before
        the FJ&G ordered its first diesel.

        Did FJG ever have any lease units?(NYC,PC etc)Before DO tok them over.
        Message 3 of 22 , Jun 23, 2006
          Was that unit a T-6. I have a B&W photo somewhere of a black diuesel that
          looks like a T-6 and the location appears to be the Johnstown frieght house.

          Message 4 of 22 , Jun 23, 2006
            NYC didn't have any T-6s, maybe an Alco demonstrator or someone's T-6
            being diverted during delivery for the FJ&G to test for a day or two.

            Paul :-)

            Message 5 of 22 , Jun 23, 2006
              I believe it was a NYC S-1. Nestle did an article for the Mohawk & Hudson
              NRHS newsletter back in the early 90s. I have a few pictures somewhere...
              I'll try to dig them up later today.

              Message 6 of 22 , Jun 23, 2006
                I will try to dig out the photo of the mysterious black unit that I have in
                Johnstown. it sure looks like a T-6 to me.

                Message 7 of 22 , Jun 24, 2006
                  Hi Joe,

                  Are the front corners of the top of the hood caved in with number boards
                  like an RS-11, that's the easiest way to spot a T-6.

                  Where's a shot of an ex-Pennsylvania unit:

                  http://crcyc.railfan.net/locos/alco/t6/xprr9844c.jpg

                  Paul :-)

                  joseph Klapkowski wrote:
                  > I will try to dig out the photo of the mysterious black unit that I have in
                  > Johnstown. it sure looks like a T-6 to me.
                • Gino DiCarlo
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jun 24, 2006
                    Those are neat untits. Any ALCO is a neat engine in
                    my book. We can't overlook NYC steam power on the
                    FJ&G in the old days. Not DO era, but I would consider
                    them 'leased' units.

                    Here's a question. Were the Adirondack units ever put
                    in service on the FJ&G? Also, one of the Arcade and
                    Attica 44-tonners was repaired on the FJ&G, did they
                    test her in service?

                    Gino

                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                  • choochoo1802@webtv.net
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jun 24, 2006
                      Gino- We call ALCO's puke monsters on our line. They do nothing but spit
                      oil every place,shut down very often. We are having big problems with
                      them. Mark
                    • Gino DiCarlo
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jun 24, 2006
                        Someone told me ALCO stands for "All Liquids Come
                        Out." I guess you're telling me this is true!

                        I can't imagine them running today without problem,
                        but they're still my favorite diesel manufaturer!!!

                        Gino

                        http://mail.yahoo.com
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jun 24, 2006
                          I don't believe the Adirondack engines were in operation; although I don't
                          know for sure. I've not seen a picture of one with the headlight lit.

                          Arcade & Attica 44-tonner #111 was rebuilt while on the FJ&G; yes, my
                          understanding is that it was tested while on the FJ&G.

                          Message 12 of 22 , Jun 24, 2006
                            Unfortunately I have to go off the top of my head today because everything
                            is packed up and piled up, thus unable to be accessed. When you speak of
                            the NYC diesel tried out by FJ&G, the number 8512 came to mind. Checking my
                            NYC files: the 8512 was a 1944 Alco S-2. Sorry I can't be more definite.
                            Perhaps that's the picture you have Joe with the locomotive on the main
                            track adjacent to the Gloversville GOB and a couple men looking it over. If
                            not the 8512 I believe the unit tested was indeed another S-2.

                            PKL

                            >From: Paul Charland <p.charlie@...>
                            >To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                            >Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] Lease units
                            >Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 09:18:51 -0400
                            >
                            >NYC didn't have any T-6s, maybe an Alco demonstrator or someone's T-6
                            >being diverted during delivery for the FJ&G to test for a day or two.
                            >
                            >Paul :-)
                            >
                            >joseph Klapkowski wrote:
                            > > Was that unit a T-6. I have a B&W photo somewhere of a black diuesel
                            >that
                            > > looks like a T-6 and the location appears to be the Johnstown frieght
                            >house.
                          • oleroadslug
                            Message 13 of 22 , Jun 25, 2006
                              > Arcade & Attica 44-tonner #111 was rebuilt while on the FJ&G; yes, my
                              > understanding is that it was tested while on the FJ&G.
                              >
                              > -Aaron

                              Though I remember the very last days of the FJ&G and all the greenish
                              blue PC cars by 30A and around town, as well as the facilities; it is
                              hard for me to fathom FJ&G fixing anything due to size and facilities
                              constraints.

                              Though 44 tonners were small, did the road do all their major repair of
                              the two locos or farm it out?

                              Bob Schoneman
                              Appleton, WI

                              Wishing I was swimming in Sacandaga about now.
                            • oleroadslug
                              Message 14 of 22 , Jun 25, 2006
                                Was/Is the engine facility, if I remember, the long building that was
                                turned into a feed store. No, I'm not talking about the coal buildings.

                                RJS
                                Message 15 of 22 , Jun 25, 2006
                                  Hi,

                                  No, the enginehouse was just to the west of the one you are thinking of,
                                  had three tracks going into it from the same track that also served the
                                  feed store.

                                  Paul :-)

                                  Message 16 of 22 , Jun 25, 2006
                                    Bob,

                                    One of the things the DO/FJG wanted to do was become an engine
                                    repair facility.  I think the A&A loco was the first and last customer!

                                    Gino

                                    --
                                    www.ginosrailpage.com
                                    www.fjgrr.org
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Jun 25, 2006
                                      Bob,

                                      Pictures do exist (somewhere) of the A&A 111 in operation on the FJ&G. I'm
                                      not sure who had them; but I've seen 'em. There was also a picture of it
                                      in the Leader-Herald. It was during the first few years of DO ownership.

                                      Aaron
                                      Green Bay, WI

                                      Message 18 of 22 , Jun 25, 2006
                                        Are you guys having a get together this year?Mark
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Jun 26, 2006
                                          I believe the FJ&G did all its own repairs. However there were things that
                                          they were certainly not capable of. For instance I think it was the 20 that
                                          had the cracked block. I do not belive the Gloversville shop was equipped to
                                          change out a prime mover.

                                          Message 20 of 22 , Jun 26, 2006
                                            I suppose the answer to the "engine house" would depend on when you are
                                            considering. The principal brick buildings three. The machine shop was the
                                            long building at the corner of W. Fulton and Broad Street. Locomotives were
                                            stored in there and I believe No. 340 was quartered in that building. The
                                            next building, the one with the three tracks into it, was designated as the
                                            paint shop after 1911, when the new carpenter shop was built at a ninety
                                            degree angle and connected to the paint shop on the south side. There were
                                            three other brick buildings in that area owned by the railroad - the stores
                                            building, blacksmith shop and the foundry building run privately.

                                            In my experience the diesels 20 and 21 were kept in the paint shop on the
                                            outside tracks. 30, when active, was probably kept in there also, though it
                                            was in the new carpenter shop pending sale. I recall the flanger, S-2,
                                            being kept on the middle track in the sixties. The names - machine, paint
                                            and carpenter - were used at least as long as old timers still worked the
                                            railroad. The gas cars, 200, 201, 202, were kept in the north round house.
                                            202 was in there before being sold.

                                            My recollections are after the bus business was terminated. Prior to that
                                            the Paint shop was also the repair shop for trucks and busses and also a
                                            garage for the trucks until the end of the mail contract in 1964 (trucks
                                            were also kept in the carpenter shop). The east end of the building was
                                            reconfigured to a garage style door to facilitate the busses and trucks. I
                                            recall having heard or read a reference to the paint shop as a bus garage,
                                            though the old coach house, the long wooden building west and across the
                                            tracks from the paint and carpenter shops, was used as a bus garage too.

                                            I have heard that No. 9 spent most of the late thirties and early forties OS
                                            at the end of track in the machine shop. When No. 8 went over, it was
                                            quickly put back into service for a couple more years. No. 8 did return to
                                            service but I don't think she was ever the same; hence No. 9 getting the
                                            notoriety in the final years of steam on the FJ&G. Some believe No. 9 was
                                            not as serviceable an engine as the 8 and may never have been returned to
                                            service had it not been for the Johnstown Road derailment of 8.

                                            From various photos at different periods it would seem that the different
                                            tracks in all of the buildings were used for whatever they were available,
                                            convenient or needed. The machine shop was the primary point of repair for
                                            all locomotives until the shop was closed, circa 1957. To avoid exposure
                                            the combines and coach 17 were also put whereever they could be out of harms
                                            way. The combines were for a time kept in the new coal house, coach 17 in
                                            the south round house. In busier times, when there were employees working
                                            mostly around the clock, rolling stock was stored out of doors in the west
                                            yard.

                                            Check Rand Warner's notes, posted to this list perhaps four years ago, for
                                            more information on the period at the end of the forties and early fifties.

                                            Perhaps Mark can share with us how the buildings were designated and used in
                                            the DO years.

                                            PKL

                                            Message 21 of 22 , Jun 27, 2006
                                              Further: The diesels nos 20 and 21 were housed in the paint shop with the
                                              express car housed on track No. 1, closest to W. Fulton Street, from their
                                              first appearance on the FJ&G. There are photos of no. 30 in that building
                                              as well. Of course the express car took up the entire track The machine
                                              shop continued to be used for scheduled repairs to the steam engines as long
                                              as they operated. Whether 340 was housed in the machine shop after the end
                                              of steam and the acquisition of no. 30, 1950, I am unable to determine, I
                                              recall seeing it in there, however, in those years I was at the property
                                              rarely (it was out of my parent imposed limits - by the mid fifties I was a
                                              bit more adventurous). The paint shop had other uses as well, relating to
                                              the busses and trucks.

                                              No. 9 rested in the machine shop during the war, till no. 8 was damaged.

                                              ED confirmed the housing of 20, 21 and 340 in the forties.

                                              PKL

                                              Message 22 of 22 , Jun 28, 2006
                                                After they closed the shop they weren't capable of doing much. I recall
                                                when they had to shim the 20 after the wreck behind M&K Market the
                                                locomotive was jacked. They had no lift heavy enough to raise the
                                                locomotive. When heavy work, traction motors, power assemblies, wheels had
                                                to be done the locomotives would be sent out. While I was there they tried
                                                to save money turning wheel and did it with cutting devices placed on the
                                                brakeheads. It was to save the cost of shipping the locomotive out. I
                                                have a few shots from the early sixties, taken as the sun was setting of the
                                                two locomotives coming into Gloversville. The only time I recall seeing two
                                                locomotives out at the same time. One had been sent out for repairs and,
                                                come to think of it, this may have been the trip when the locomotive was set
                                                out at Yosts. Remember I wasn't around much in the early fifties when
                                                three crews were employed. By the late fifties retirements took there toll;
                                                new men were not being hired and the crew assignments were abolished till
                                                there was only one.

                                                Problem with the FJ&G and wheels was that the railroad was one big curve. As
                                                a result the locomotive wheels wore on one side. In the earliest diesel
                                                days the locomotives were occassionally turned but that ended soon because
                                                practice had been for years that the engineer was always on the east sdie.
                                                Only the passenger locomotives were turned, it appears the freight engines
                                                generally ran with the pilot pointed north.

                                                PKL