Residents return home following train derailment

    Message 1 of 12 , May 31, 2006
      Residents return home following train derailment
      Fear lightning could cause explosion after freight train jumped tracks
      led to evacuation of 30 homes

      By CATHY WOODRUFF, Staff writer
      Click byline for more stories by writer.
      Last updated: 8:43 p.m., Tuesday, May 30, 2006

      Residents evacuated from about 30 homes in the Montgomery County
      hamlet of Tribes Hill after a train derailment and fierce thunder
      storms spurred fears of an explosion have been allowed to return home,
      authorities said.

      No one was injured in the 2 p.m. derailment of a CSX freight train
      hauling cars containing the remnants of a load of ethanol, said Neal
      Kling, a first lieutenant with the Tribes Hill Fire Department.

      Residents who live near the tracks in the hamlet just west of
      Amsterdam, about 40 miles from Albany, were told to leave their homes
      as storms baring dangerous lightning raised the concern that an errant
      strike could ignite vapors of the combustible liquid often used in
      camp stoves and, increasingly, as a gasoline additive and alternative
      fuel.

      The families were allowed to return home around 7 p.m., but as of 8
      p.m. the rail cars remained off the tracks while officials tried to
      determine the cause of the wreck, Kling said.

      Fire officials said 14 tanker cars derailed, at least one of which
      contained vegetable oil.

      CSX Transportation, the freight railroad that was operating the train
      and owns the tracks where the accident occurred, could not immediately
      be reached for information on the crash.

      The train was heading west on tracks that run along the Mohawk River,
      parallel to Route 5.

      The derailment also disrupted passenger service.

      Amtrak is using buses to ferry passengers around the site and canceled
      its Lake Shore Limited run from New York City to Chicago this
      afternoon.

      Amtrak halted two of its westbound afternoon trains at Albany and
      Amsterdam and shuttled passengers by bus to Syracuse to continue their
      trips, said Amtrak spokesman Cliff Black. Eastbound passengers on
      Train 286 from Niagara Falls to New York City and on the Maple Leaf
      from Toronto transferred to buses at Utica and Syracuse, Black said.

      The westbound Lake Shore Limited was canceled, Black said. It was to
      leave New York City at 3:20 p.m. and was scheduled to pull out of
      Albany at 6:25 p.m. after a half-hour layover.

      Passengers on the eastbound Lake Shore Limited out of Chicago were
      offered seats on an alternative train, the Capitol Limited to
      Washington, D.C., which shares some of the same stops and could
      provide connections to other East Coast cities, Black said.

      No other westbound trains are scheduled to come through the
      Albany-Rensselaer station today, and the plan for Wednesday has not
      yet been settled, Black said.

      ``CSX has not been able to let us know when the track will be
      reopened, so we are withholding the decision-making process'' until
      more information is available, he said.

      Cathy Woodruff can be reached at 454-5093 or by e-mail at
      cwoodruff@....

      All Times Union materials copyright 1996-2006, Capital Newspapers
      Division of The Hearst Corporation, Albany, N.Y.

      --
      www.ginosrailpage.com
      www.fjgrr.org
      Message 2 of 12 , May 31, 2006
        If the West Shore was still there, there would be no disruption in
        service.
        Although I've been told that when they did use the West Shore after
        wrecks
        on the Chicago Line, the WS wasn't up to code for passenger service so
        they still
        were bussed! Between Albany and Utica...

          Message 4 of 12 , May 31, 2006
            Message
            I've got a picture on my West Shore page of what must be a freight detour coming down the West
            Shore Branch near Cranesville.  I'd love to see a photo of the 20th Century Limited coming down
            that branch.  I know a guy who's father woke him in the middle of the night to see it pass through
            Frankfort, NY, but empty.  I wonder when the last detour passed over the West Shore Mohawk
            Division...

[...]

            • Gino DiCarlo
              Message 6 of 12 , May 31, 2006
                What issue is that?

                Gino

                --- Charles Vosburgh <crvosburgh@...> wrote:

                > MessageGino; I'm guessing the train I saw was
                > between 9/65 & 6/67. Also in the June issue of
                > Trains, the map of the month showed that the West
                > Shore was still double tracked in 1950 on the east
                > end. Charlie.

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • Charles Vosburgh
                Message 7 of 12 , May 31, 2006
                  Trains June 2006 page 42.  Looks like Albany to Syacuse.
                  > MessageGino; I'm guessing the train I saw was
                  > between 9/65 & 6/67.  Also in the June issue of
                  > Trains, the map of the month showed that the West
                  > Shore was still double tracked in 1950 on the east
                  > end.  Charlie.

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • Charles Vosburgh
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 31, 2006
                    We have west bound traffic on the Mohawk division.  Guessing they have one line open.

                    Message 9 of 12 , May 31, 2006
                      Thanks!

                      Gino

                      --- Charles Vosburgh <crvosburgh@...> wrote:

                      > Trains June 2006 page 42. Looks like Albany to
                      > Syacuse.

                      http://mail.yahoo.com
                    • Charles Vosburgh
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jun 1, 2006
                        Gino;  In the Central Headlight issue 2003, fourth quarter, page 4, is a photo of a class K3n pacific on a milk train at Auriesville in June 1948.  It shows double track at that time.  There was a baggage car and coach at the rear.  A rider car or was there still passenger service at that time?   Charlie

                        http://mail.yahoo.com
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jun 1, 2006
                          I've got to get that issue!  Speaking of Auriesville.  I'm looking through an Erie Canal book and lo and behold, there's a picture of a West Shore passenger train waiting for a canal boat at Auriesville.  A great shot!

                          Gino

                          http://mail.yahoo.com

                          Visit Pete Seftons Lost Landmark Page
                          http://www.lostlandmarks.org
                          http://ny.existingstations.com/

                          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                          --
                          www.ginosrailpage.com
                          www.fjgrr.org

                            http://mail.yahoo.com

                            Visit Pete Seftons Lost Landmark Page
                            http://www.lostlandmarks.org
                            http://ny.existingstations.com/

                            Business finance courseBusiness to business financeSmall business finance