LH Article on 5-15-06

  • Saul Kalbfeld
    Message 1 of 5 , May 15, 2006
      In today's online edition of the Leader Herald in this article...

      "County weighs Rail Trail plan"

      these companies are named.
      "National Grid owns part of the property and Fulton Railroad Property Corp. owns the other part,"

      Just curious.
      Who are they?

      Saul
      Message 2 of 5 , May 15, 2006
        By the way, here's the article...

        Gino

        County weighs Rail Trail plan

        By GREG HITCHCOCK The Leader-Herald

        FONDA - Montgomery County Public Works Commissioner Paul Clayburn
        wants the county to apply for state and federal funding to develop a
        recreational trail that would connect the existing Rail Trail in
        Fulton County with Montgomery County's trail.

        The new trail in Mohawk would run from six to eight miles from Route 5
        in Fonda to the Fulton County line.
        "The highway superintendent for the town of Mohawk where the property
        is located came to me to suggest we link the FJ&G Rail Trail,"
        Clayburn said.

        He was referring to linking Fulton County's eight-mile Rail Trail with
        Montgomery County, which also has a paved trail.

        "We had a meeting with New York State Department of Transportation
        officials of Region II, who administer the program in Canajoharie, a
        week or so ago about the program," Clayburn said at a county General
        Services Committee meeting last week.

        The funding would come from state and federal programs and a local
        share, Clayburn said.

        Fulton County would transfer ownership of part of the former FJ & G
        Railroad bed to Montgomery County for the project, Clayburn said.

        "National Grid owns part of the property and Fulton Railroad Property
        Corp. owns the other part," Clayburn said. "Fulton County is ready to
        transfer ownership of their portion to Montgomery County. The Niagara
        Mohawk portion would have to be acquired."

        Clayburn said the trail would "benefit the county recreationally and
        economically by promoting tourism in the county."

        Montgomery County Economic Opportunity and Development Director Ken
        Rose said the benefits of a recreational trail are two-fold.

        "It has an economic impact on bicyclists during the spring, summer and
        fall months," he said.

        "Secondly, trail users generate sales tax and gas revenue in the
        villages of Fonda and Fultonville," he said.

        The trail extension would be completed in one construction season,
        "but could take up to three years before construction to get final
        approval," Clayburn said.

        The Montgomery County Board of Supervisors will vote on whether to
        proceed with an application at its next full board meeting May 23.

        Rose said Fonda is the hub for highway and byway trails and is part of
        the state Adirondack Trail system.

        The Adirondack Trail Scenic Byway traverses over 188 miles of New York
        state. The route's southern terminus at Routes 30/A and 5 in Fonda is
        one mile from Exit 28 on the Thruway.

        Neither Rose nor Clayburn knew how much the new trail project would cost.

        Greg Hitchcock covers Montgomery County. He can be reached at
        montco@...

        --
        www.ginosrailpage.com
        www.fjgrr.org
        Message 3 of 5 , May 15, 2006
          National Grid is the current owner of Niagara Mohawk. It's the power
          company.

          May they want the R of W for power lines?

          Message 4 of 5 , May 15, 2006
            They've owned the portion from Johnstown to Fonda for a while. When the
            city of
            Johnstown wanted to run sewer down the ROW, I believe they got the OK
            from NIMO!

            National Grid is the current owner of Niagara Mohawk. It's the power
            company.

            May they want the R of W for power lines?

            -Aaron
          • choochoo1802@webtv.net
            Message 5 of 5 , May 15, 2006
              Is that including walking over the high bridge?Mark