Re: Mohawk Mills Smokestack: Help a Green Bay Packer Fan

  • oleroadslug
    Message 1 of 10 , May 7, 2006
      Help a WHAT?

      ( P.S. Brett Farve is coming back this year, so you guys will have
      all the intereptions you can handle)

      Anyhow, help me out:

      Been 12+ years since I've been through Amsterdam. Is this the old
      Mohawk Carpet Facility, by the NYC/Conrail/CSX main and the river?
      Trying to place this.

      OR:

      Is the the big white facility as your just starting up the hill or
      so, from downtown Amsterdam on 30; where it S curves a bit before
      the first stop light heading north. The creek flowed under it.

      IF:

      It is either one of those two, I see progress still moves REAL FAST
      out there. ;-) However, I am saddened too. Coming up on the
      Thruway for the 30 + years we did to Northville and Sacandaga, the
      Mohawk Carpet complex was the first sign we (as kids) were getting
      close to paradise from NJ.

      Yes, the VW is a classic.

      Regards,

      Bob Schoneman
      Appleton, WI
      Message 2 of 10 , May 8, 2006
        You got it Jerry. Seeing that smoke stack come down was like watching
        Your favorite tree get chopped down in your backyard. When we explored
        The property a while back, I never really thought they would knock the
        Thing down. Any idea of the plans for the property?

        Message 3 of 10 , May 8, 2006
          Bob,
          Neither one. The stack that came down was the one at
          the steam plant of the upper Mohawk Mills complex,
          which was the old McCleary, Wallin, and Crouse Mills.
          Upon McCleary's death in 1920 his partners sold out to
          the Shuttleworth brothers (that was the original
          Shuttleworth complex down by the CSX tracks, the
          "lower mills") and Mohawk ended up with two massive
          mill complexes in the city. The big white building you
          see from Rt. 67 was part of the Sanford Carpet Mills,
          the other major carpet manufacturer in Amsterdam.
          Chances are that if you were only on Rts. 30 and 67
          you never saw the upper mills. The steam plant is at
          the far left in the attached view. The larger stack
          is the one just felled; the smaller went down with the
          first big fire in the early 90's. The trestle in the
          lower left is the Amsterdam, Chuctanunda, and Northern
          line going into the mills. Just off the view to the
          left the line split and the coaling trestle ran along
          the back side of the steam plant.
          Jerry

          http://mail.yahoo.com