Re: [FJGRailroad] Mohawk Mills Smokestack

  • Gerald Snyder
    Message 1 of 10 , May 5, 2006
      I believe the stack you are talking about Pete is the
      old Yund, Kennedy, and Yund mill powerhouse stack down
      in the east end by the CSX tracks. Amsterdam has a
      lot of them around. I decided a good project for a
      warm day this summer will be to do a photo safari of
      them before the city decides to inflict any more
      progress on our industrial heritage. And as far as
      the car goes, that's an advertisement for Dudka's
      Garage on Ann street. The Volkswagen Beetle is
      sitting on top of the stack for the old International
      Felt powerhouse. They never did get a permit to do
      that, just put it up there. When it first went up
      they used to have the headlights on at night. I'm
      surprised that that stack hasn't come down by itself
      with all of the extra weight and added wind resistance
      up there. Should be an interesting liability case
      when someone gets a Volkswagen through their roof some
      day.
      Jerry
      --- choochoo1802@... wrote:

      > Talking about monumentals in Amsterdam,is that car
      > still sits on top of
      > that tall building? Who parked it there? Mark

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • oleroadslug
      Message 2 of 10 , May 7, 2006
        Help a WHAT?

        ( P.S. Brett Farve is coming back this year, so you guys will have
        all the intereptions you can handle)

        Anyhow, help me out:

        Been 12+ years since I've been through Amsterdam. Is this the old
        Mohawk Carpet Facility, by the NYC/Conrail/CSX main and the river?
        Trying to place this.

        OR:

        Is the the big white facility as your just starting up the hill or
        so, from downtown Amsterdam on 30; where it S curves a bit before
        the first stop light heading north. The creek flowed under it.

        IF:

        It is either one of those two, I see progress still moves REAL FAST
        out there. ;-) However, I am saddened too. Coming up on the
        Thruway for the 30 + years we did to Northville and Sacandaga, the
        Mohawk Carpet complex was the first sign we (as kids) were getting
        close to paradise from NJ.

        Yes, the VW is a classic.

        Regards,

        Bob Schoneman
        Appleton, WI
        Message 3 of 10 , May 8, 2006
          You got it Jerry. Seeing that smoke stack come down was like watching
          Your favorite tree get chopped down in your backyard. When we explored
          The property a while back, I never really thought they would knock the
          Thing down. Any idea of the plans for the property?

          Message 4 of 10 , May 8, 2006
            Bob,
            Neither one. The stack that came down was the one at
            the steam plant of the upper Mohawk Mills complex,
            which was the old McCleary, Wallin, and Crouse Mills.
            Upon McCleary's death in 1920 his partners sold out to
            the Shuttleworth brothers (that was the original
            Shuttleworth complex down by the CSX tracks, the
            "lower mills") and Mohawk ended up with two massive
            mill complexes in the city. The big white building you
            see from Rt. 67 was part of the Sanford Carpet Mills,
            the other major carpet manufacturer in Amsterdam.
            Chances are that if you were only on Rts. 30 and 67
            you never saw the upper mills. The steam plant is at
            the far left in the attached view. The larger stack
            is the one just felled; the smaller went down with the
            first big fire in the early 90's. The trestle in the
            lower left is the Amsterdam, Chuctanunda, and Northern
            line going into the mills. Just off the view to the
            left the line split and the coaling trestle ran along
            the back side of the steam plant.
            Jerry

            http://mail.yahoo.com