Re: [FJGRailroad] Mohawk Mills Smokestack

  • choochoo1802@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 10 , May 4 5:07 AM
      Talking about monumentals in Amsterdam,is that car still sits on top of
      that tall building? Who parked it there? Mark
    • Gino DiCarlo
      Message 2 of 10 , May 5 6:07 AM
        I'm not sure which one looks medieval!

        Gino

        --- peter sefton <psefton@...> wrote:

        > Was this the one by the tower that looks like it
        > belongs on a medieval
        > monestary?

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Gino DiCarlo
        Message 3 of 10 , May 5 6:09 AM
          You're talking about the VW Bugs on top of dudka's
          smokestack. God must have drove it there!

          Gino

          --- choochoo1802@... wrote:

          > Talking about monumentals in Amsterdam,is that car
          > still sits on top of
          > that tall building? Who parked it there? Mark

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Gerald Snyder
          Message 4 of 10 , May 5 6:18 PM
            I took some video of the demolition. It really was
            amazingly quiet and graceful. About 12 pounds of
            explosive in a small notch at the base was all it took
            to bring it down after about 94 years of being part of
            the skyline. It's sister stack went down with the
            first big fire at the complex. There was a small
            bang, then it started to go straight down like a
            closing telescope. Halfway down it began to lean
            toward the creek and ended up exactly where they
            wanted it. No thud when it hit, no tremble in the
            ground. Just a small cloud of brown dust that
            dissipated within a minute or two. Amazingly, they
            didn't touch a brick in the steam plant itself. Part
            of the debris ended up in the creek, but within 20
            minutes there was a crew in there with a track shovel
            clearing it out and the flow never even had a chance
            to be disrupted. A very professional and well
            executed job. One of the reporters for the paper
            interviewed me and wanted to know what I thought of
            the whole thing. I told her that I felt like I was
            standing around waiting for the execution of an old
            friend.
            Glad we got some good pictures the day we hiked back
            in there.
            Jerry

            --- Gino's Railpage <fjgrailroad@...> wrote:

            > The TALL smokestack at the Mohawk Mills powerhouse
            > was leveled today.
            > If you don't know it, this powerhouse was serviced
            > by the Amsterdam
            > Chuctanunda and Northern Railroad. This smokestack
            > was visible from
            > all over. If you were coming up Route 67 westbound
            > or on the Thruway,
            > you saw it!!!
            >
            > My son and I are very sad...
            >
            > Gino
            >
            > --
            > www.ginosrailpage.com
            > www.fjgrr.org

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Gerald Snyder
            Message 5 of 10 , May 5 6:31 PM
              I believe the stack you are talking about Pete is the
              old Yund, Kennedy, and Yund mill powerhouse stack down
              in the east end by the CSX tracks. Amsterdam has a
              lot of them around. I decided a good project for a
              warm day this summer will be to do a photo safari of
              them before the city decides to inflict any more
              progress on our industrial heritage. And as far as
              the car goes, that's an advertisement for Dudka's
              Garage on Ann street. The Volkswagen Beetle is
              sitting on top of the stack for the old International
              Felt powerhouse. They never did get a permit to do
              that, just put it up there. When it first went up
              they used to have the headlights on at night. I'm
              surprised that that stack hasn't come down by itself
              with all of the extra weight and added wind resistance
              up there. Should be an interesting liability case
              when someone gets a Volkswagen through their roof some
              day.
              Jerry
              --- choochoo1802@... wrote:

              > Talking about monumentals in Amsterdam,is that car
              > still sits on top of
              > that tall building? Who parked it there? Mark

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • oleroadslug
              Message 6 of 10 , May 7 8:58 PM
                Help a WHAT?

                ( P.S. Brett Farve is coming back this year, so you guys will have
                all the intereptions you can handle)

                Anyhow, help me out:

                Been 12+ years since I've been through Amsterdam. Is this the old
                Mohawk Carpet Facility, by the NYC/Conrail/CSX main and the river?
                Trying to place this.

                OR:

                Is the the big white facility as your just starting up the hill or
                so, from downtown Amsterdam on 30; where it S curves a bit before
                the first stop light heading north. The creek flowed under it.

                IF:

                It is either one of those two, I see progress still moves REAL FAST
                out there. ;-) However, I am saddened too. Coming up on the
                Thruway for the 30 + years we did to Northville and Sacandaga, the
                Mohawk Carpet complex was the first sign we (as kids) were getting
                close to paradise from NJ.

                Yes, the VW is a classic.

                Regards,

                Bob Schoneman
                Appleton, WI
                Message 7 of 10 , May 8 12:59 PM
                  You got it Jerry. Seeing that smoke stack come down was like watching
                  Your favorite tree get chopped down in your backyard. When we explored
                  The property a while back, I never really thought they would knock the
                  Thing down. Any idea of the plans for the property?

                  http://mail.yahoo.com

                  Message 8 of 10 , May 8 8:23 PM
                    Bob,
                    Neither one. The stack that came down was the one at
                    the steam plant of the upper Mohawk Mills complex,
                    which was the old McCleary, Wallin, and Crouse Mills.
                    Upon McCleary's death in 1920 his partners sold out to
                    the Shuttleworth brothers (that was the original
                    Shuttleworth complex down by the CSX tracks, the
                    "lower mills") and Mohawk ended up with two massive
                    mill complexes in the city. The big white building you
                    see from Rt. 67 was part of the Sanford Carpet Mills,
                    the other major carpet manufacturer in Amsterdam.
                    Chances are that if you were only on Rts. 30 and 67
                    you never saw the upper mills. The steam plant is at
                    the far left in the attached view. The larger stack
                    is the one just felled; the smaller went down with the
                    first big fire in the early 90's. The trestle in the
                    lower left is the Amsterdam, Chuctanunda, and Northern
                    line going into the mills. Just off the view to the
                    left the line split and the coaling trestle ran along
                    the back side of the steam plant.
                    Jerry

                    http://mail.yahoo.com