Mohawk Mills Smokestack

    Message 1 of 10 , May 3, 2006
      The TALL smokestack at the Mohawk Mills powerhouse was leveled today.
      If you don't know it, this powerhouse was serviced by the Amsterdam
      Chuctanunda and Northern Railroad. This smokestack was visible from
      all over. If you were coming up Route 67 westbound or on the Thruway,
      you saw it!!!

      My son and I are very sad...

      www.ginosrailpage.com
      www.fjgrr.org
    • peter sefton
      Message 2 of 10 , May 4, 2006
        Was this the one by the tower that looks like it belongs on a medieval
        monestary?

        The TALL smokestack at the Mohawk Mills powerhouse was leveled today.
        If you don't know it, this powerhouse was serviced by the Amsterdam
        Chuctanunda and Northern Railroad. This smokestack was visible from
        all over. If you were coming up Route 67 westbound or on the Thruway,
        you saw it!!!

        My son and I are very sad...

        www.ginosrailpage.com
        www.fjgrr.org

        Visit Pete Seftons Lost Landmark Page
        http://www.lostlandmarks.org
        http://ny.existingstations.com/
        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • choochoo1802@webtv.net
        Message 3 of 10 , May 4, 2006
          Talking about monumentals in Amsterdam,is that car still sits on top of
          that tall building? Who parked it there? Mark
        • Gino DiCarlo
          Message 4 of 10 , May 5, 2006
            I'm not sure which one looks medieval!

            Gino

            --- peter sefton <psefton@...> wrote:

            > Was this the one by the tower that looks like it
            > belongs on a medieval
            > monestary?

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Gino DiCarlo
            Message 5 of 10 , May 5, 2006
              You're talking about the VW Bugs on top of dudka's
              smokestack. God must have drove it there!

              Gino

              --- choochoo1802@... wrote:

              > Talking about monumentals in Amsterdam,is that car
              > still sits on top of
              > that tall building? Who parked it there? Mark

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • Gerald Snyder
              Message 6 of 10 , May 5, 2006
                I took some video of the demolition. It really was
                amazingly quiet and graceful. About 12 pounds of
                explosive in a small notch at the base was all it took
                to bring it down after about 94 years of being part of
                the skyline. It's sister stack went down with the
                first big fire at the complex. There was a small
                bang, then it started to go straight down like a
                closing telescope. Halfway down it began to lean
                toward the creek and ended up exactly where they
                wanted it. No thud when it hit, no tremble in the
                ground. Just a small cloud of brown dust that
                dissipated within a minute or two. Amazingly, they
                didn't touch a brick in the steam plant itself. Part
                of the debris ended up in the creek, but within 20
                minutes there was a crew in there with a track shovel
                clearing it out and the flow never even had a chance
                to be disrupted. A very professional and well
                executed job. One of the reporters for the paper
                interviewed me and wanted to know what I thought of
                the whole thing. I told her that I felt like I was
                standing around waiting for the execution of an old
                friend.
                Glad we got some good pictures the day we hiked back
                in there.
                Jerry

                --- Gino's Railpage <fjgrailroad@...> wrote:

                > The TALL smokestack at the Mohawk Mills powerhouse
                > was leveled today.
                > If you don't know it, this powerhouse was serviced
                > by the Amsterdam
                > Chuctanunda and Northern Railroad. This smokestack
                > was visible from
                > all over. If you were coming up Route 67 westbound
                > or on the Thruway,
                > you saw it!!!
                >
                > My son and I are very sad...
                >
                > Gino
                >
                > --
                > www.ginosrailpage.com
                > www.fjgrr.org

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • Gerald Snyder
                Message 7 of 10 , May 5, 2006
                  I believe the stack you are talking about Pete is the
                  old Yund, Kennedy, and Yund mill powerhouse stack down
                  in the east end by the CSX tracks. Amsterdam has a
                  lot of them around. I decided a good project for a
                  warm day this summer will be to do a photo safari of
                  them before the city decides to inflict any more
                  progress on our industrial heritage. And as far as
                  the car goes, that's an advertisement for Dudka's
                  Garage on Ann street. The Volkswagen Beetle is
                  sitting on top of the stack for the old International
                  Felt powerhouse. They never did get a permit to do
                  that, just put it up there. When it first went up
                  they used to have the headlights on at night. I'm
                  surprised that that stack hasn't come down by itself
                  with all of the extra weight and added wind resistance
                  up there. Should be an interesting liability case
                  when someone gets a Volkswagen through their roof some
                  day.
                  Jerry
                  --- choochoo1802@... wrote:

                  > Talking about monumentals in Amsterdam,is that car
                  > still sits on top of
                  > that tall building? Who parked it there? Mark

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • oleroadslug
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 7, 2006
                    Help a WHAT?

                    ( P.S. Brett Farve is coming back this year, so you guys will have
                    all the intereptions you can handle)

                    Anyhow, help me out:

                    Been 12+ years since I've been through Amsterdam. Is this the old
                    Mohawk Carpet Facility, by the NYC/Conrail/CSX main and the river?
                    Trying to place this.

                    OR:

                    Is the the big white facility as your just starting up the hill or
                    so, from downtown Amsterdam on 30; where it S curves a bit before
                    the first stop light heading north. The creek flowed under it.

                    IF:

                    It is either one of those two, I see progress still moves REAL FAST
                    out there. ;-) However, I am saddened too. Coming up on the
                    Thruway for the 30 + years we did to Northville and Sacandaga, the
                    Mohawk Carpet complex was the first sign we (as kids) were getting
                    close to paradise from NJ.

                    Yes, the VW is a classic.

                    Regards,

                    Bob Schoneman
                    Appleton, WI
                    Message 9 of 10 , May 8, 2006
                      You got it Jerry. Seeing that smoke stack come down was like watching
                      Your favorite tree get chopped down in your backyard. When we explored
                      The property a while back, I never really thought they would knock the
                      Thing down. Any idea of the plans for the property?

                      http://mail.yahoo.com

                      Visit Pete Seftons Lost Landmark Page http://www.lostlandmarks.org Visit
                      Message 10 of 10 , May 8, 2006
                        Bob,
                        Neither one. The stack that came down was the one at
                        the steam plant of the upper Mohawk Mills complex,
                        which was the old McCleary, Wallin, and Crouse Mills.
                        Upon McCleary's death in 1920 his partners sold out to
                        the Shuttleworth brothers (that was the original
                        Shuttleworth complex down by the CSX tracks, the
                        "lower mills") and Mohawk ended up with two massive
                        mill complexes in the city. The big white building you
                        see from Rt. 67 was part of the Sanford Carpet Mills,
                        the other major carpet manufacturer in Amsterdam.
                        Chances are that if you were only on Rts. 30 and 67
                        you never saw the upper mills. The steam plant is at
                        the far left in the attached view. The larger stack
                        is the one just felled; the smaller went down with the
                        first big fire in the early 90's. The trestle in the
                        lower left is the Amsterdam, Chuctanunda, and Northern
                        line going into the mills. Just off the view to the
                        left the line split and the coaling trestle ran along
                        the back side of the steam plant.
                        Jerry

                        http://mail.yahoo.com