From the Archives SRS 145 Part 23

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 26 7:44 PM
      The trip to Altoona was disappointing and the railroad once we left Tyrone
      was a much busier environment than i had ever been exposed to. We got a new
      Chief, D.W. Yale. I do not think the new chief thought much of me and being
      that it was just me and Jimmy Langdon on the car, I spent a lot of my time
      up front. I was the Assistant Operator or the "Stooge" as Sperry guys refer
      to the positiion. With van on the car i had the opportunity to show that I
      was motivated. This new chief did not know anything about that, just that I
      was a Stooge. It was a bit of a let down to have this new chief. On the
      other hand we were headed EAST ansd that meant that for the first time in
      two months I was headed toward home. One fine Friday afternoon we tied up
      early and I headed home for the weekend. I caught a train somewhere in the
      vicinity of Hershey and was home by 9 pm.

      On the way back I was not certain how long it would take to the to the
      Sperry Car.

      There are only three things I can remember clearly about the return trip
      that Sunday afternoon. Firts when I got to Penn Station I bought a ticket
      and went down to the platform. I went past the first vestibule and the
      second and approached the headend. I walked up to the cab of the GG-1 and
      introduced myself to the engineer. this was easy as he had the window of the
      GG-1 open and was jusrt sitting there. I explained I was heading back to the
      SRS 145 down in (I can not remember the name of the town) and I needed to
      get back there tonight. I produiced an Amtrak ticket and assured the hogger
      that I was not looking for a freebie but would he mind if I rode the
      headend?

      The hogger looked me over and motioned to get on.

      This part of the trip was UNFORGETTABLE!!!!! We passed through the Hudson
      River tunnels and I was surprised that there was very little room between
      the engine and hte walls of the tube. then we emerged into the light and out
      ontyo the right of way above the New Jersey swamplands. we passed over a
      bridge and I was standing behind the engineer looking down the snout of the
      G at the straight track ahead. I glanced to the engineer's left, 102 MPH. We
      were flying!

      This is how I spent the entire trip and I think the engineer appreciated my
      interest. At one point we slowed way down. We had to take a train order.
      Since it is 27 years later I will repeat it in its entirety

      Train Order no 2516

      July 29, 1979

      C&E No 219 Engine 4930

      AT FORD via SHORE

      No 219, Eng 4930 has right over opposing trains on # 2 track FORD to North
      Philadelphia.

      J.S.P.

      Complete 6:04 pm

      Toadvine

      I later made it to the Sperry Car elated that I had had the opprtunity to
      ride a GG-1.

      And that is another edition of From The Archives...............

      What's in your archives?