2 Die When Freight Train Hits Truck

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 3, 2006
      2 Die When Freight Train Hits Truck

      Christine Sloan
      Reporting

      (CBS/AP) OAKLAND, NJ A 68-car freight train slammed into a dump truck
      this morning, killing the truck's two occupants, authorities said.

      Tony Rotella, a witness to the accident told CBS 2, "When I approached
      the train almost come to a dead stop I noticed front of train was on
      fire. The truck was turned over and it was in a ball of flames - the
      two guys who were in there were trying to kick themselves out. There
      was absolutely nothing we could do."

      Two engineers aboard the lead locomotive were unhurt, said Thomas V.
      O'Neil, a spokesman for the New York, Susquehanna & Western Railway.

      Flashing lights at a road crossing in this Bergen County town were
      operating when the 68-car train passed at about 7:45 a.m., O'Neil
      said.

      A locomotive whistle also sounded as the train approached the
      crossing, which does not have gates, he said.

      The train, pulled by three locomotives, was heading to Ridgefield Park
      from Binghamton, N.Y., when it hit the truck, O'Neil said. It did not
      derail.

      "I don't know if it was stalled or trying to beat the train," he said.

      The names of the dead were not released pending notification of their
      families, the Bergen County prosecutor's office said.
      --
      www.ginosrailpage.com
      www.fjgrr.org