More on Bullet Cars

  • Saul Kalbfeld
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 21, 2006
      At our last division meeting 8 I said we had a guest speaker. His name is Lew Hoy and he is a retired industrial relations manager for the late and lamented Conrail. He originally worked for the Pennsy out of college in 1948 in the last hurrah of class 1 railroads after the Second World War. The slide show that he presented focused mailnly on the traction and surface trolley and interurban lines in and around Philadelphia as they appeared in 1948. All in color too. What I found so interesting was seeing how much the American urban scene had changed in 60 years. The downtowns of Allentown and Bethleham were alive and properous with stores, people and entertainment. This was before the interstate highway system began the irreversible trek to the suburbs. (I know we have visited this subject before). The lines fanned out from Philly in all directions. That city has preserved many of those lines. This show was a prelude to the NMRA convention in Philly this year and this might be a good time to consider joining since the organization is planning fan trips that might not be available to the general public.
      Saul