RE: [FJGRailroad] Sacandaga Sewer System

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 17, 2006
      You're correct Saul that it was a bit more than 100 years. A sewer system
      was in by 1896 but didn't serve all the cottages and shacks that had been
      built in the area over the years. It dumped into the river south of the
      Park. After the fire in 1898 when all the shacks and older cottages were
      conveniently destroyed, the company under took their plan to make the Park
      into the "Gem of the Adirondacks." Applications had to be made to the
      company for cottage sites and no cottage could be constructed for less than
      $300, effectively eliminating "undesirables." In addition to this
      requirement the rent for the lots, which included the cost of services, was
      set at $10 per year. All cottages must be hooked up to the sewer and water
      system which was rebuilt in this year. Somewhere I have copies or have seen
      deeds and other paper work associated with the acquisition of the water
      supply. I don't have an idea now when the sewage began to be treated. Even
      after the upgrade it was still dumped into the river from a buried pipe that
      followed the river's edge to a point also south of the park.

      I would guess that the entire system of sewer and water needs to be
      completely rebuilt. As a small government republican I must say that the
      government should not assist. As a liberal democrat I would ask why not;
      why should citizens be responsible for their infrastructure. When put in,
      the railroad did it out of its own pocket because it was the right thing to
      do for proper sanitization at the park. The cost was amortized from the
      rents, etc.

      Hope that adds some information. It's important to understand that prior
      June 1903 the area called "Sacandaga Park" was broader than the properties
      owned by the railroad. In that month the FJ&G finally secured title to all
      the "Park" properties. The prior large purchase was in 1901, consisting of
      the entire McCuen farm from which Willard Heacock's first purchase of the
      picnic grove and right of way to the river was made back in the mid 1870s.
      This last purchase in 1903 was for the Rialto Hotel, the Log Cabin, the
      toboggan slide, the row boats, 10 acres of land and Wolf Island.