Sperry Car

    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 5, 2006
      Was the FJ&G ever visited by the Sperry Car ?
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 6, 2006
        Perhaps after the company closed it's doors in 1974, but truly I would doubt
        it. The cost wouldn't justify the risk at the speeds they ran. While I was
        there, if a detector car went over the rails it could have found any number
        of defects in that old rail. We used to walk and observe the underside of
        the ball and web for telltale signs of rust but of course that wouldn't
        always find a transverse fissure. The locomotive would find them as they
        banged over them. We did change out a rail every now and then but not often
        in the time I was there. I don't recall there was a lot of spare rail
        around the property. At my time there was 70, 75, 80 on most of the main
        line and a short stretch of 56 pound left on the Broadalbin end and the
        Broadalbin yard tracks. I don't recall any of teh rail was newer than the
        twenties and much was the 1892 replacement that the Webb company ordered
        when they had their brief time in control.

        But that's no reason not to keep sending your memoirs to this site.

        PKL

        >From: "joseph Klapkowski" <riverlinejoe@...>
        >To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: [FJGRailroad] Sperry Car
        >Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2006 20:49:27 +0000
        >
        >Was the FJ&G ever visited by the Sperry Car ?

      • Gino DiCarlo
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 6, 2006
          The FJ&G didn't have a Sperry Car check out the ROW,
          but Walter Rich did send some hi-tech track equipment
          to work on the line switching out rail and ties.
          There was also some ballast dropped even in the
          end-days...

          Gino

          http://mail.yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 6, 2006
            I had no idea you worked on the FJ&G>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>