From The Archives Part 7

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 2, 2006
      So we made it south of Pulaski and we continued on toward Syracuse. I am not
      kidding that we stopped more often than any Sperry Car had ever stopped
      before. We contiuned on toward Syracuse when we came upon Woodard. Woodard
      is the juction where the branch to Oswego, NY just a little under 20 miles
      to the north, met the "mainline" between Syracuse-Watertown. we went into
      the side track at Woodard and held up there over night. The next day we ran
      backwards (there isn't really a backwards on the Sperry Car. It runs as well
      backwards as it does forwards).

      The next day was Friday and we ran backwards to the Oswego City limits
      testing south to Woodard. It probably did not take us all day to get to
      Woodard but that is where we tied up for the weekend. Ivan and the boys went
      home.

      Time to stop and explain something. There are a lot of Sperry Men from the
      Chemung Valley. I do not know why but at one time there were three out of
      the four guys on the car were from Cemung. Almost everyone from down there
      seemed to be involved with Geoff Bodine the NASCAR racer.

      So the rest of the crew went home to "The Valley" while i remained on teh
      car. ivan suggested that the car needed a good washing and that the pewrson
      who did it would receive a days pay. I am your man. Wearing just a pair of
      shorts and tee shirt I got up early and tapped into the railroad's water
      with our trusty green garden hose and began to scrub from the top down with
      a broom and soapy water. it took a couple hours maybe to go over the whole
      car. By noon I was finished. now as clear as the image of washing the car is
      in my head, I can not tell you what I did the rest of that weekend. I would
      think that I went back to Oswego by way of my thumb but I do not honestly
      know. Being a Freshman I did not know a whole lot of people staying over the
      summer at Oswego. But I would have thought that I would have gone up there
      just for the heck of it. Needless to say whatever I did, Monday morning
      dawned and we started down the last 7 miles to CP JG (I never did learn what
      JG stood for) and then west on the Waterlevel Main.

      At the turn onto the Mainline we began a long journey westward to Buffalo
      but in sort of a roundabout way.

      In the next part we will travel toward Rochester, see a ball game, drive the
      audio gauge truck, work on the carriage, sleep with the