Re: [FJGRailroad] Digest Number 1803

  • Chris Brozek
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 2 1:21 PM
      Thanks so much for the explanation!!  I always wondered why that line had 'hojack' as a nickname.

      I grew up in Webster and so have always been curious about the line that ran through my town.  I had the honor of riding in the cab of an OM RS3 (in BN colors) leased from another company while it performed a run-around move after it picked up a boxcar spotted at Page Packaging (in the old RW&O freight building in the village) back in 1986.  It was quite a thrill!!  The OM also had an RS11 (I think) that looked very nice in the black/yellow colors of the parent company.  Back in the 90's I took a railfan trip with a friend on the OM from Webster down to Newark.  It was worth it just to negotiate around the curve of the old NYC/PRR crossing at Wallington.

      I too read Hungerford's book on the RW&O and was dissapointed that it didn't include much on the 'expansion' from Oswego to Niagara Falls.

      Thanks so much for the Sperry stories!

      FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com wrote:
      There are 2 messages in this issue.

      Topics in this digest:

      1. RE: From the Archives Sperry rail Service Part 5
      From: "paul larner"
      2. Re: From the Archives
      From: Dave Brennan

      Message: 1
      Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2006 00:49:45 -0500
      From: "paul larner"
      Subject: RE: From the Archives Sperry rail Service Part 5

      Ho'jack = Hobo Laborer - referencing the annual influx and departure of
      laborers to pick the fruit and vegetables along the old Lake Ontario Shore
      RR.

      The Ho'jack line was noted for the hobos that used to ride it, probably
      because of the leisurely pace at which the trains ran, compared to the main
      line. While the name has been extended to the entire territory and tracks
      of the former RW&O by some railfans and railroaders, the Hojack was the line
      along the south shore of Lake Ontario and its branches.

      I searched far and wide for the origin of the term and could not
      rationalize the hokey explanations about mules named jack or engineers named
      jack. Anyone who's ever been in a cab of even a slow moving locomotive
      knows no one there would ever hear, much less understand, something hollered
      to a mule or anyone from a crossing ahead, just too much noise. Hungerford
      never refers to the term in his history of the RW&O, published in 1922, well
      after the RW&O was absorbed into the NYC system. From that I deduce the
      term is "line" related rather than "railroad" related.

      After conversations with folks in the region and hearing memories about the
      hobos and their camps all along the line, and the need for temporary
      laborers, I just happened to look in the dictionary. The first definition
      for "jack" given in the dictionary I used was "laborer." Hobo came up
      "migrant worker." Slap!! Hobo laborer > Ho'jack; not unlike lumberjack,
      bootjack, steeplejack etc. A word no longer in the lexicon, if ever. It is
      likely a colloquialism, a contraction, born among the towns along the shore.

      That explanation isn't as cute as some of those quaint stories, but for a
      nickname to apply over the entire breadth of the line, the meaning had to
      originate from some definitive characteristic of that line.

      That's my story and I'm sticking to it; I offer it for what it is.

      PKL

      Message: 2
      Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2006 05:46:02 -0800 (PST)
      From: Dave Brennan
      Subject: Re: From the Archives

      I enjoy it ! I worked on the NYC tracks for 2 weeks once.
      Dave
      joseph Klapkowski wrote: I can not keep this up nigth after night.........the Pinewood derby is
      coming and I have a work project and a couple of evening engagements coming
      up. Several of you have offered encouragement with this "project". Is there
      anyone else out there who wants to hear more ?

      Visit Pete Seftons Lost Landmark Page
      http://www.lostlandmarks.org
      http://ny.existingstations.com/

      ---------------------------------

      ---------------------------------
      Yahoo! Mail

      [This message contained attachments]

      Visit Pete Seftons Lost Landmark Page
      http://www.lostlandmarks.org
      http://ny.existingstations.com/

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      Kind Regards,

      Chris Brozek
      Heldeberg Computer Services

      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 4 8:04 AM
        There is precious little written about the Hojack west of Oswego. According
        to my NYC ETT the hojack actuall ended at a place called Tower 65 which was
        somewhere near Niagara Falls. I have an old RW&O public timetable that of
        course shows the destination as Suspension Bridge.

        Anyone know where tower 65 was. Better yet anyone belong to the NYC
        Historical society ? Maybe some member there would have some info on the
        line.

        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 4 8:21 AM
          Have you seen this page of the Wiki:

          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rome,_Watertown_and_Ogdensburg_Railroad

          Paul :-)

          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 4 9:14 AM
            Good morning,

            No, I hadn't seen that particular one. I went to the Hojack line yahoo
            site, which knew nothing, talked to a couple different town historians and
            others who had done articles in the area. The "Port Jervis" paper calling
            the wayfreight a Hojack fits with the connection I made with the speed of
            the trains and the use of the slow freights by the hobos. The connection to
            the hobos came from one of the historians up there, who asked his mother for
            her recollections of the line. She recalled the number of hobos and the
            hobo camps along the line as well as the migrants who picked the fruit.

            This is the first published use of the word Hojack that I have seen.
            Interestingly it is in the area of the Erie Ry. far from northern NY.
            Importantly the articles indicate such a word was part of the language.
            Could it be that "hojack was instead a term for a slow freight? From
            everything I have gathered, a "fast" freight never operated over the line;
            even their passenger trains ran on leisurely schedules.

            The rest of the Wikipedia information is in Hungerford's History of the
            RW&O. Never is the term hojack found.

            Good information; I can't buy the common explanations given for the term -
            my "reasonable" test.

            Paul

            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 4 9:24 AM
              Location of tower 65. Today where the Amtrak trains come in from Toronto
              they stop for customs just as they come off the bridge. At that point can
              be seen the remnants ofteh RW&O line which went north to Lewiston and
              further along the lake shore. This point where the lines crossed was the
              location of NYC tower 65 which seems to have controlled the junction. For
              reference I use NYC employee timetable No. 7, Buffalo division.

              Paul

              >From: Paul Charland <p.charlie@...>
              >To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
              >Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] Digest Number 1803
              >Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2006 11:21:44 -0500
              >
              >Have you seen this page of the Wiki:
              >
              >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rome,_Watertown_and_Ogdensburg_Railroad
              >
              >Paul :-)
              >
              >joseph Klapkowski wrote:
              > > There is precious little written about the Hojack west of Oswego.
              >According
              > > to my NYC ETT the hojack actuall ended at a place called Tower 65 which
              >was
              > > somewhere near Niagara Falls. I have an old RW&O public timetable that
              >of
              > > course shows the destination as Suspension Bridge.
              > >
              > > Anyone know where tower 65 was. Better yet anyone belong to the NYC
              > > Historical society ? Maybe some member there would have some info on the
              > > line.
            • Richard Finn
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 4 9:25 AM
                Go to the Wikipedia home page and do a search on railroads,  There is a link to defunct railroads.  That link may even be on the Hojack pages, to railroads in New York State.  I think that is the process I used, but being unfamiliar with Wikipedia I really didn't keep track of where I went.

                Dick

                YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 4 9:26 AM
                  Hi Paul,

                  If you type Hojack into Google a number of sites turn up including this
                  one with their explanation of the origins of the Hojack nickname for the
                  line:

                  http://www.webstertrails.org/hojack/hojack.htm

                  Paul :-)

                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 4 9:44 AM
                    Well I would bet that I have heard one of those stories before. The story
                    about the farmer's so n and the jack ass racing the train is my favorite
                    because of wjhere i heard it. In the Yard Office in Oswego one night just
                    before I got a ride to Dewitt and back on the head end.

                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 4 10:10 AM
                      Hi Paul,

                      Here's a site with a ton of NYC files, scroll down and you will find NYC
                      timetables from as far back as the mid-teens:

                      http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/nyc/nyc.html

                      Scroll down a bit more and you will find this 1954 NYC map that includes
                      the RW&O line:

                      http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/nyc/nyc-map54.gif

                      This is a nice historic map page that includes this 1883 New York map
                      that still has the line labeled RW&O. You'll need to select a zoom, and
                      then click on the map in the area of the railroad, but then you can
                      either zoom in more, or simply click on the map and follow the line to
                      where you want to go:

                      http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/D?gmd:13:./temp/~ammem_7v16::

                      Af for "Tower 65", I have a Conrail ETT from '78 that still shows the
                      remains of the RW&O line on the Buffalo map but it's only dots like it's
                      abandon. There is no reference in the ETT to this line, and no such
                      animal as tower in the area. I suspect Conrail refers to towers as
                      "CP"s or Control Points and if this is the case I can find CP 61 but no
                      CP 65. CP 61 is on a line between Buffalo station and Suspension Bridge
                      on what Conrail called the "Niagara Falls Secondary Track". It would
                      look like one of the other rail lines that formed Conrail had a parallel
                      line which Conrail calls the "Niagara Branch" and this is the line
                      Conrail chose over the Niagara Falls Secondary what looks like it would
                      have contained CP 65... this line is mentioned in a couple of other
                      schedules as connecting to them, just not listed in the ETT.

                      Paul :-)

                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 4 10:31 PM
                        Paul,

                        Thanks for the references. I neglected to give you the date of the
                        timetable I used. It was from April 1960. Sometime after the
                        consolidations, rationalizations and installation of TCS or CTC the term
                        control point (CP) came into use. There were a number of railroads serving
                        Niagara Falls in the 60's and earlier. Most remaining consolidated into Con
                        Rail, obviously an apt road name. Going up there today you can see the
                        ramnants and road beds of various different routes that converged on the
                        Falls. The present main track between CP 8, near Black Rock, and the Falls
                        is a combination of a couple former routes and a bit of relocation too.

                        Today there is nothing left downtown where once there was station and
                        support yards. (I haven't been there in a couple of years; there was a
                        convention center on part of the former site, now maybe a Casino.) As an
                        aside an interesting facet of the Falls is the generation of power for the
                        industries that once huddled along the chasms edge. To accomplish this
                        tunnels were dug beneath the central city from above the falls to below to
                        service first the individual industries and then the large tunnel for the
                        power plant that collapsed some years ago. The tunnels are still there and
                        today I believe have an impact on how and where the city builds.

                        PKL

                        Message 11 of 12 , Mar 5 7:26 AM
                          Hi Paul,

                          I have a "Buffalo" article from March '76 Trains Magazine with a map of
                          all the rail lines in the area including the abandoned RW&O line but the
                          article is written as an Erie Lackawanna article and only labels EL
                          yards, towers, and points of interest, along with showing what mainlines
                          in the area belong to who at the time (think this was one of the many
                          'day before Conrail' articles that appeared at the time).

                          There has been talk of Niagara Mohawk drilling four more tunnels for
                          more turbines at the original site.

                          Message 12 of 12 , Mar 5 7:29 AM
                            NYC Tower 65 still existed on Conrail in the 1978 ETT I have, it's the
                            former Boston and Albany tower across from the station in Chatham, NY!

                            http://www.trainweb.org/rshs/GRS%20-%20Chatham,%20NY.htm