From the Archives Sperry rail Service Part 5

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 28, 2006
      Okay where were we. Oh right we were starting down the Hojack which is the
      nickname for parts of the Rome Watertown & Ogdensburg. Nobody seems to know
      for sure what Hojack means. One story is that in the very early days of
      railroading, the engineer of a woodburning steam engine would come upon a
      farm and the farmer's son would race the train to the end of the field on
      the family donkey. the boy and the jack ass would stop and the engineer
      would yell out to the boy, HOOOO Jack!

      Another story i heard in the Oswego yard office was that the engineer came
      upon a donkey or cow that regularly liked to wander about the gauge of the
      track. The engineer and conductor would be obliged to get down and try to
      coax the four legged obstructionout of the way and in so doing they would
      call out whooooo Jack!

      Anyway we were heading south along the single track and I had finally gotten
      a little of the nervousness out of me. I learned the proper way to blow for
      the crossings and somewhere along the line they explained that the red
      handled emergecy cord was to be pulled on your way out the door if a
      collision were imminent. I remember feeling pretty good about this job and
      then Jimmy came up and said I should go get a sandwich then head back to the
      detector room. So off I went. I am pretty sure I did not eat anything but
      there was ALWAYS coffee brewing. It was like a Sperry thing to have coffee
      AT ALL TIMES. So off to the detector room cigarette in one hand and coffee
      in the other. It is a little tricky even at 13 MPH walking back through the
      engineroom and into the detector room. But I made it just fine and watched
      all that was going on.

      Then whoever was at the table gave a single buzz for the engineeman to stop.
      Then the operator stood up and guess who was in the way? Well they told me
      where to stand while we were testing but not what to do once we stopped. I
      stepped out of the way and the operator went to the steps and backed up the
      car. Once stopped the chief stood up and got out. I did not know what to do.
      The chief came back to the steps and that is when I heard it, "Junior, get
      out here". Well down the steps I went and watched the process of running the
      rail with the wand which actually has a technical term in Sperry Speak that
      I have long forgotten.

      We repeated this process a couple of times and then suddenly the chief
      motioned for the operator to get up. Junior sit down he ordered! I had
      absolutely no idea what the heck was going on. I am not sure if ivan was
      playing with me (he was) but I finally said "What do I do?" "Coun"t Ivan
      replied. Now here was a man who could spot a defect with his own eyes just
      by looking at the rust streak along the rail. He KNEW EVERYTHING there was
      to know about defective rails.

      Once again I have to stop and explain where we were. The hojack was a fairly
      well maintained branchline. It had 105 jointed Dudley a signature of New
      York Central branches. so every 39 feet there was a joint. "There." Ivan
      said, :"there is the joint on the right here is the joint on the left. Here
      is your next joint and then this one here." Now what is this?" he asked
      pointing to the sqwiggly line on the main paper. "A joint" I replied. It
      seemed kind of funny. Remember I had just completed my Freshman year at SUNY
      Oswego. Joint had a very different meaning back then.

      "No junior!", "There are six joints on the paper but only five on the rails"
      "Back em up!" by now we were an easy 12 rails from the offending spot. I
      gave one buzzer to stop and three to back up and then Ivan stopped him with
      the buzzer and I stood on the top step while I watched him motion for the
      car to stop. Then we went through the ritual and I learned how to sqwirt the
      soapy water and then use the hand wand to find the defect. Nothing really
      just some surface running and pitting of the rail.

      we repeated the process for maybe an hour and then I was banished to the
      engineman's position for the rest of the afternoon. As I am sitting up there
      now really alone for the first time my mind begins to wander. there are the
      trees that encroach on the right of way. An occassional deer or muskrat but
      the steady drone of the Cat (1407) beside me and the warm summer sun can
      really lull you into a trance. there is no deadman on the Sperry car so I
      decide to stand up and stretch. Cup of coffee would be great right about
      now.

      BUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ. I stop

      I look into the rear view mirror and everyone is getting out. No one is
      signaling. Then Ivan looks up at me from the ground and gets back on the
      car. The phone rings. I pick up. Junior, get back here. I stood up and open
      the door to the kitchen, walk back through the dinning room and past the
      bedrooms then oper the door to the engineroom, past the open sliding baggage
      door and open the door to the detector room. The railroad guy is milling
      about talking on the radio, Ivan is standing there hands on hips, the other
      operator is on the groung. "Junior ! Did you see that?" I looked over the
      edge of the detector table about twenty feet away and there was an enourmous
      hole in the ground under the tracks. A sink hole! "Where did that come from?
      I asked"

      I did not know Ivan hardly at all but he did not look pleased. We had a
      discussion about whether it was there before I went over the track and I
      assured everyone that it was not. You just could not have missed a twenty
      foot hole under the tracks.
      This put the Sperry car into the hole for the afternoon. Of course the end
      of testing because the railroad didn't want you to did not mean the end of
      the Sperry man's day. We ALWAYS had the detector room swept, mopped and
      closed up before we tied the car down. How much else we could do depended
      upon whether or not we were moving.

      And that my friends is another installment of From The
      Archives.......................... stay tuned. I promise that in the next
      installment we will hear about the creamery track, invasion of the bushes
      and the 36 inch pounding. Hopefully we will make it as far as Woodard and I
      can tell you how we kept that Sperry Car shiny and clean............
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 1, 2006
        Ho'jack = Hobo Laborer - referencing the annual influx and departure of
        laborers to pick the fruit and vegetables along the old Lake Ontario Shore
        RR.

        The Ho'jack line was noted for the hobos that used to ride it, probably
        because of the leisurely pace at which the trains ran, compared to the main
        line. While the name has been extended to the entire territory and tracks
        of the former RW&O by some railfans and railroaders, the Hojack was the line
        along the south shore of Lake Ontario and its branches.

        I searched far and wide for the origin of the term and could not
        rationalize the hokey explanations about mules named jack or engineers named
        jack. Anyone who's ever been in a cab of even a slow moving locomotive
        knows no one there would ever hear, much less understand, something hollered
        to a mule or anyone from a crossing ahead, just too much noise. Hungerford
        never refers to the term in his history of the RW&O, published in 1922, well
        after the RW&O was absorbed into the NYC system. From that I deduce the
        term is "line" related rather than "railroad" related.

        After conversations with folks in the region and hearing memories about the
        hobos and their camps all along the line, and the need for temporary
        laborers, I just happened to look in the dictionary. The first definition
        for "jack" given in the dictionary I used was "laborer." Hobo came up
        "migrant worker." Slap!! Hobo laborer > Ho'jack; not unlike lumberjack,
        bootjack, steeplejack etc. A word no longer in the lexicon, if ever. It is
        likely a colloquialism, a contraction, born among the towns along the shore.

        That explanation isn't as cute as some of those quaint stories, but for a
        nickname to apply over the entire breadth of the line, the meaning had to
        originate from some definitive characteristic of that line.

        That's my story and I'm sticking to it; I offer it for what it is.

        PKL