From The Archives SRS 145 Part 2

    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 26 3:30 PM
      Before I begin some corrections and additions., I was on the Sperry Car in
      1979. That would be 27 years ago not 17 as I stated. Gosh I am getting old.

      An error of omission. I stated that the SRS had a auxilary engine and the
      power engine. Let me start all over. The standard on the SRS 145 was to have
      three engines. One Cat in the rear for running the frig, the lights, the
      Tube computer, the detection equipment. Traction power was provided by
      another Cat up front next to the engineman's compartment. Next to that Cat
      was a smaller Onan generator. Now having said all that the SRS 145 did not
      have the Onan generator. I do not know what happened to it but it was not
      there. Just before I left the car they actually installed a new generator
      but I do not remember what it was. I do not think it was an Onan.

      Generally the first thing in the morning you would get up and start the
      house power plant in the rear. On the 145, there was an air primer and you
      had prime the engine with the air then move a lever (looks like an Armstrong
      Interlocking Lever) and get the clutch to engage the pullies without
      stalling out the air. This would start the engine (If I do not have that
      exactly correct, I would appreciate anyone who knows letting us all in on
      what I said incorrectly).

      Now even though we did not have the Onan, I understand that the next thing
      to do was shut down the Onan once the house power Cat was going. there were
      various chores to do in the morning and we will get to that later. Five
      minutes before you were going to actually move out we would start the Cat up
      front. for lack of a better phrase this was the Traction Cat. Its only
      purpose was to provide power for the traction motors and I believe run the
      air compressor.

      In the afternoon the process was reversed. We often had to deadhead to our
      tie-up (the place where you put the car overnight). While we were
      deadheading the rear engine was shut down. Almost immediately upon getting
      into the clear for the nght, we would shut down the Traction Cat. Somewhere
      between the shutdown of the House Cat and setting the hand brake we would
      have started the Onan if we had one.

      So here is how the whole deal worked. Being the youngest, and the newest
      crew member it was my job to get up in the morning and set up the car. First
      you had to start the Power Cat behind the bedrooms and ahead of the
      detection room. But I get ahead of myself............

      In part 3 we will tell about my arrival on the Sperry Car and my first
      encounter with the Chief, Ivan Owen............................
    • Stephen G. Myers
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 26 3:34 PM
        Did you ever work in the capitol district on Sperry?

        Steve

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 26 3:41 PM
          No. I started in Watertown, went to the Cuse and then west to Buffalo and
          then south on the Pennsy to Harrisbugh..............but for more details you
          will have to wait for the next installment of From The Archives