CSX fined $227,000 for fatal accident in Fonda

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 13, 2006
      CSX fined $227,000 for fatal accident in Fonda

      February 13, 2006, 2:21 PM EST

      ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) _ CSX Transportation, the largest rail operator in
      the eastern United States, was fined $227,000 by federal regulators
      Monday for a warning-system failure that led to the death of a
      38-year-old woman in Fonda last year.

      The Federal Railroad Administration lodged the fine after an
      investigation into the death of Victoria Doyle of Johnstown in
      February 2005. Witnesses at the time said the warning gate at a rail
      crossing lifted shortly before a westbound train arrived. The train
      hit the driver's side door of the vehicle and sheared off the top of
      the car.

      Investigators found that an eastbound CSX train that stopped short of
      the crossing in Fonda, but close enough to activate the warning lights
      and gates. The train's conductor used a manual control box to lift the
      gates and allow highway traffic to cross the tracks. However, the
      device subsequently prevented a westbound CSX train from activating
      the warning system to alert motorists.

      CSX will have an opportunity to present any defenses and mitigating
      factors that may lead to a lower settlement agreement, U.S. Department
      of Transportation spokesman Warren Flatau said.

      "We are reviewing the fines but our focus remains on continuing to
      improve rail safety across our network," said Robert Sullivan, a
      spokesman for Jacksonville, Fla.-based CSX.

      Fonda is 35 miles northwest of Albany.

      --
      www.ginosrailpage.com
      www.fjgrr.org