From The Archives

    Message 1 of 87 , Jan 8, 2006
      I have not seen any activity on this ist in a while so now it is time for
      another edition of "From The Archives"

      Shipping order

      FONDA JOHNSTOWN & GLOVERSVILLE RAILROAD COMPANY

      at Johnstown NY 1-23-53
      from Crescende Gloves Inc

      Consigned to :The Anderson-Newcomb Co

      Destination Huntington W VA

      No of Packages 2 carton gloves, mde of cotton, vegettable fibre, except
      xxxxx or rayon.

      Rate 3.08

      RECEIVED F.J.G.RR.CO. (Dray) Johnstown, NY C.E. Brown Agent, Jan 23,1953

      I have had a fleeting experience with documents of value such as the Uniform
      Bill of Lading but I suspect this particular document was intended to be
      used as part of a draft to draw the payment for transportation from the
      local bank.

      and that is another edition of "From the Archives'.........
      Message 87 of 87 , Mar 24, 2009
        My kids said, "Dad are you going to have a fire tonight? It is spring! Yes but it will be cold tonight" I replied.

        And with that, while rummaging around the archives, I found a copy of PC RAILROADER July-August 1975. On page 4 there is a photo of FJG 153998 with the following caption, "The Fonda, Johnstown & Gloversville located off the Mohawk Division in Amsterdam, New York acquired 100 40' and 138 50' box cars from Penn Central. photo by the editor - Joe Klapkowski

        I know the caption is inaccurate. I did not write it.  This was way before the days of the internet and common information. To have a by- line back then at the ripe old age of 15 was, well, pretty cool.

        Internet Explorer 8 – Now Available. Faster, safer, easier. Download FREE now!