FW: statement from Dave Gunn

    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 10, 2005

      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 11, 2005
        What's going on here Paul. How do you feel about this?

        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 11, 2005
          I only know what I've heard from a couple guys supposedly up on the rr world
          and what little I've read. Gunn was good for Amtrak; he acted like a
          railroad manager - non of the touchey feeley bs we had with Warrington.
          Passenger service on the rail is a public service and will never make money
          if done right, meaning provide sservice and reasonably comfortably. It
          costs lots of capital dollars for redundancy to ensure dependability.
          Remember when railroads kept locomotives under steam and in reserve to
          rpotect their passenger trains? Today nothing is in reserve with
          facilities, equipmentand staffing at a minimum. Legitimate concern can be
          made of over staffing at the middle management level. There are too many
          "staff" positions at Amtrak, but regard that this is not limited to Amtrak.
          Many companies have made efforts to remove levels of management then back
          filled a bit. Amtrak needs to do some of that - in the right places. Tough
          to fire a congressman's relative, contributor or an EOC promotion/hiree.

          The Bush administration wants to separate the nations passenger service from
          the federal government, not necessarily a bad thing. They have made an offer
          to match state funds where the states want to keep or add needed service
          thus while Amtrak may go passenger service won't, if the individual states
          pick up the bill. New York is a state that receives substantial Amtrak
          service but contribute practically nothing compared to VT, MA, ME; to get
          out of New England, consider the contributions of CA OR IL WI MI and others
          for the operation of trains in their states. The issue to some extent is
          the flyover states don't like paying the bill for trainns ilke 48/49 which
          have no justification considering their undependable schedules and fares.

          Gunn appears to believe that the feds should keep control and fund Amtrak in
          the same way they support so many other industries and transportation
          systems. This isn't a bad position either but it conflicts with the
          administration. Frankly I believe cronyism is at work here too. Any spin
          off or dissolution would benefit someone and we need to know who the players
          are and their relationship if any with principals in the republican party.
          It appears Gunn wasn't having any of it. Note that John Snow, read CSX, is
          secretary of the treasury. CSX is Amtrak's no. 1 destroyer of service.
          Their inability to get their own act together has earned them the worst
          reputation in the industry for service. My thought without facts is that it
          has exceeeds the fiasco of mis judgement following the UP-SP merger. Amtrak
          is a fly in their balm; having it gone would facilitate their overburdened
          system. Bottom line is Gunn was good for Amtrak. IF you accept that the
          fed should fund rail service the same way if funds the airports and
          interstate highway sytem then you should support Gunn. Both positions have
          merit but the Bush guys have a tendency to do things without thinking them
          through. My votes with Gunn.

          PKL

          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 11, 2005
            Like you've mentioned to me before, something like Metro North running the route between Albany and NYC.  Would that be such a bad thing?  What about Albany to Boston and Buffalo and Albany to Montreal.  Who could run that?

            Gino

            Visit Pete Seftons Lost Landmark Page
            http://www.lostlandmarks.org
            http://ny.existingstations.com/

            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

            --
            www.ginosrailpage.com
            www.fjgrr.org
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 11, 2005
              There's been a lot of talk over the past couple years and like smoke there's
              usually something in the wind but a real fire ... that may take a little
              doing. Anything repeated by me re what is brewing in NYS about assuming the
              service could only serve to be misleading. A lot has to be resolved before
              anyone beyond Amtrak can undertake to operate passenger service over the
              private property of CSX.

              PKL