[FJGRailroad] Amsterdam Wreck

  • Stephen G. Myers
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 14, 2005
      I read this and if I were not a railroad employee I would think that the
      cause of the derailment was "driver" failure or drug and alcohol induced.
      Very poor reporting. The cause was most likely a journal bearing
      failure!

      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 14, 2005
        No one wants to hear "equipment failure," they want to hear that a
        'drunk' is running the train!

        Gino

        On 10/14/05, Stephen G. Myers <Knixrule1@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > > Amsterdam, just east of the Route 30 bridge that connects Amsterdam
        > > Interstate 90.
        > >
        > > Steve Terleckey and Mary McDowell were working in the office
        > > at
        > > Terleckey's firm when the train derailed. Despite the proximity to
        > > the
        > > crash, they both said they didn't realize that the sound they had
        > > heard emanated from the derailment. Trains routinely pass
        > > unnoticed.
        > >
        > > Terleckey said he thought what he had heard was the sound of
        > > the
        > > train slowing down. "It didn't sound terribly different," he said.
        > > They resumed work but then someone came in to tell them a train had
        > > derailed outside, McDowell said.
        > >
        > > "I went out to have a look. What a terrible mess," she said.
        > >
        > > (This item appeared in the Albany Times Union Oct. 13, 2005.)
      • Gerald Snyder
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 14, 2005
          Now let's remember where this occured. Probably ran
          over an old washing machine somebody dumped on the
          tracks.
          Jerry

          === message truncated ===

          http://mail.yahoo.com