FW: CSX train derails in Amsterdam

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 12, 2005
      Message

      -----Original Message-----
      From: Robert Dennis [mailto:rdennis1@...]
      Sent: Wednesday, October 12, 2005 2:45 PM
      To: HOME A
      Subject: CSX train derails in Amsterdam

      CSX train derails in Amsterdam
      Updated: 10/12/2005 1:52 PM
      By: Capital News 9 web staff

      A train derailed in the city of Amsterdam at around 8:30 a.m. Wednesday. A CSX train went off the track on Front Street.

      Officials said the train started to stop near the Terleckey Tire Service, causing the train cars to start piling. Eighteen cars derailed.

      Investigators said some cars were carrying hazardous material, but those cars didn't tip over so there's no danger to the public.
      The tipped cars just missed the Terleckey service store by a couple of feet. One of the cars also ended up in the Mohawk River.

      No one was injured.

      Rob D
    • Gerald Snyder
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 12, 2005
        Just came by the derailment. Couldn't get very close
        but went up on the footbridge to the Riverlink Park
        and had a pretty good view to the east. Looks like
        most of it is cleaned up although there were still a
        few cars laying around. Just east of the old freight
        station - by a few feet at most from where I was
        standing. Another 100 yards west and it would have
        been into the station and the park.
        Jerry

        > A train derailed in the city of Amsterdam at around
        > 8:30 a.m. Wednesday.
        > A CSX train went off the track on Front Street.
        >
        > Officials said the train started to stop near the
        > Terleckey Tire
        > Service, causing the train cars to start piling.
        > Eighteen cars derailed.
        >
        > Investigators said some cars were carrying hazardous
        > material, but those
        > cars didn't tip over so there's no danger to the
        > public.
        > The tipped cars just missed the Terleckey service
        > store by a couple of
        > feet. One of the cars also ended up in the Mohawk
        > River.
        >
        > No one was injured.
        >
        > Rob D

        Yahoo! Music Unlimited