FJGRR.ORG

    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 27, 2005
      FJGRR.ORG

      I'm sorry to keep you guys hanging here, but there are going to be some
      changes at FJGRR.ORG.  No guessing game, but things have happened
      over the past few years and I've come to the decision to rip the thing down.
      I was going to keep this to myself, but you guys who are a member of this
      group and have been visiting my site for a while now are great people
      and I really respect you!  I'm not gonna keep you wondering.

      I've been thinking that this isn't the place to air my differences, but this
      is FJ&G related, so why not.  Our friend and group member Paul
      Larner is in the process of writing a book.  He wants to do an in-depth
      history and that's something I'd like to see.  No doubt, Paul has the most
      extensive collection of FJ&G memorabilia in the world. I don't think any of us
      could top it.  He is under the impression that my web-site is competition
      to his book project.  I know it's silly, but that's what he thinks.  We've had
      some heated debates over my posting to the site, but that's another
      can of worms.  I can't change his mind about my site being a HELP to
      his book project so that leaves me with this decision...

      I'm taking the site down, removing all the pictures that nice people have
      let me use and am going in a different direction.  Hate to do that, but
      change is good.  Paul has also made the comment that he AND Walt
      Danylak both worried about my web-site robbing their history.  That
      comment really riles me up, but I'll stay calm.

      So what do you guys think?

      Here's the good news.  There's no way I won't have a web-site filled with
      FJ&G pictures, history and what-not.  I've had an FJ&G site LONG before
      I knew Paul Larner and I will continue to have one for years to come.

      Here's the difference....All material on FJGRR.ORG will be from MY
      collection and no one's going to tell me not to use it.  Any history will
      be what I gathered out of "Steam and Trolley Days" and the Gloversville
      Leader and Amsterdam Recorder!!!

      I've been collecting FJ&G stuff since 1983 and I've got plenty of stuff
      that is MINE!!!

      I started this web-site to share my collection of the FJ&G with people
      who remembered the line and people who wanted to learn about the
      line.  That's not gonna change.  Not now, not in the future!!!

      On the subject of Walt Danylak, Walt provided me with the FJ&G engine
      roster that is on my site and he checked ALL info to make sure it was
      correct.  Let me tell you, I made a lot of changes!!!  I'll always appreciate
      the time Walt took to do this.  His engine roster A'int going anywhere!!!

      So, I'll wrap this up by saying no hard feelings with anyone.  The thing
      for me to do is build my web-page with all I've collected and not have
      to ask any permission.  There is great stuff on there now from people
      who've let me use it.  That's too bad it's going, but I've gotta keep my
      sanity!

      I don't know when I'll get to it, but FJGRR.ORG will be back and will
      be a good one...

      Gino DiCarlo

      Gino DiCarlo
      Imaging

      Quad/Imaging
      A Division of Quad/Graphics

      Saratoga Springs, New York
      518-581-4276 phone
      gino.dicarlo@...
      www.QG.com

    • psefton@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 27, 2005
        It seems a little short-sighted for an author to risk alienating his core audience...

        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 27, 2005
          Print this out....

          Anything I have or will send you in the past or future for use on your
          current past or future web site is to be used as you wish, hopefully for
          everyone's benefit.

          Paul Charland

          Dicarlo, Gino wrote:

          > So what do you guys think?

          > Gino DiCarlo
        • Stephen G. Myers
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 27, 2005
            FJGRR.ORG
                 Gino,

                      You have put years of hard work into your web site and into this group.  Many are to be thanked for their organizing events, donations and all, but it was you who made and maintained the web site and chat group.  I enjoy reading many posts here and browsing your web site.  You are the one who contacted me years ago and asked to use a few of my FJ&G photos and introducing me to your site.  In my opinion, a web site will never replace the joy of having your own book of your hobby or favorite topic.  There is a place for both books and web pages, I would think that a web site would help to sell a book on the subject.  Thanks for all of your hard work and i hope that you will keep it up.  Don't forget to "take the coats off the bed" either!

               Steve Myers

            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 27, 2005
              Well I do not think there is anything to prohibit me from allowing, or even
              asking you to feel free to continue to use my material since it is MY
              material. And if someone else wants to use some of that material I do not
              see why I can not decide to allow them to use it in a book (so far no one
              has asked).
              I would be inclined to buy the book with or without my photographs in it
              (okay probably a little more inclined if my photos were in it. After all I
              am human).

              That's my two cents

              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 27, 2005
                To All,

                Interesting letter from Gino. My name is thrown in so I suppose the record
                should include corrections and reminisces of times past. But first
                something about the past week.

                Last Saturday we lost a close friend in Walt Danylak. When on Sunday
                evening I was asked my suggestions as to what could be done to remember
                Walt's memory in lieu of flowers my thoughts went to the archive of Dave
                Nestle's material kept at the Evans Library on the FMCC campus. I suggested
                names of people to call for a determination of feasibility. That was done
                but the obit had been already issued to meet publishing deadlines or Monday.
                At that time it was perceived that the FJ&G Historical Society and
                FJ&G.org were a group like the CNY ot M&H chaprters - treasury, bylaws,
                non-profit group. In fact they don't exist except as a group who meet on
                the last Wednesday of the month in Gloversville and an individual's web
                site.

                Remember a year or so ago when the web site disappeared for a while, before
                a benefactor assisted with funds to run it again?

                My personal beliefs on collections are well known but I'll share them again.
                Archives belong in a place where everyone has access, forever;
                collectibles belong on the open market where private collectors can enjoy
                them and share them with friends of like interest, not squirreled in the
                warehouses of museums. Both types of material are better shared under those
                conditions. Archives usually charge a fee to reproduce what they contain
                but they are universally available and even moreso as they become uploaded
                onto the web. This will be the case with the Nestle collection someday -
                thousands of documents and over 1200 photos. THat archive belongs to the
                public.

                Let's look at this letter:

                Yes I suppose I have a thorough collection of FJ&G artifacts. The result of
                good friends, good luck and a good income. I have also acquired an archive
                of FJ&G information from a number of sources through hard work. The
                knowledge gained in my research has been shared to anyone who has asked.
                Sometimes in excessive detail. If there is any question about this go back
                a few years in the archives of the FJ&G Yahoo group to read some of the
                else a chance to share what they knew. Information has never been withheld.
                But gathering together the information that underlies that knowledge took
                a lot of time, years, a lot of effort, typing, and a lot of money, copying
                and storing. My first gathering of newspaper records started in the early
                sixties for Dave Nestle in anticipation of a centennial edition of his FJ&G
                history. That was the start of fixing the steam division equipment roster.

                It is nonsense to suggest I considered the FJ&G.org site is competition for
                the book. If anything it is the best advertising for creating an interest
                in the railroad. Yes, we had a discussion about a particular posting to the
                site. I had only been here a short while when I was introduced to a
                gentleman who had an extensive library of FJ&G photography. The man was a
                private individual and I was asked to keep it low profile. I met him
                through introduction. Knowing Gino's interest in the FJ&G I asked my friend
                if he would mind my sharing his photos with Gino. Neither of us expected
                them to be "published" on the web site. I was a bit taken back; the photos
                are for sharing but not pubishing. Most of us either take our own shots or
                pay a modest cost to acquire them. This is a huge collection; many of them
                terrific for use in the book (and this is part of the reason I was
                introduced). I suppose you have to be a photographer to appreciate this.
                When a shared photo gets published the line is crossed. If you profit on a
                shared photo the line is likewise crossed.

                Now I know the line is fine but consider - you have some super material for
                illustrations and addenda that you share, not expecting it to meet the world
                until you get your work done, what do you do the next time? Burn me once,
                shame on you; burn me twice, shame on me.

                Paragraph three: re comments that "we", Walt and I, worried about the web
                site robbing our history. Not bloody well likely and NOT both of us, just
                me, and only after I felt a cold chill last Tuesday night, knowing someone
                was buttonholing to get hold of the newspaper research Walt and I did.
                Absolutely concerned, a lot of effort went into that material on both our
                parts. We complemented and supplemented each other on this material for
                several years. Remember, this research started initially in the late
                forties and was used in Dave's book. THis early work has been shared
                everywhere after Dave's book came out and with a chosen few in the fifties.
                I started updating and filling in blanks in the sixties. Walt and I got
                together via mail in the seventies when I sent over my stuff and we have
                since shared all of our newspaper research. Walt transcribed most of it by
                hand, I was able to use the state library and get most of it by photocopy
                from fiche - then type it all into the computer. We then would swap what
                we found and meld it into one file. Yes should that material become
                serialized it would undermine a lot of hard work. My request was the
                Danylak family hold the newspaper research material till I can get my book
                on the early years out and then donate it in the Evans library. No one
                expects to die, or their friends. In my mind that compilation is
                privileged.

                As information to those who care, at the current time Walt was doing the
                Amsterdam papers and I am doing the Gloversville papers in the early years
                of the twentieth century. This work is ours.

                Here's the bottom line - If my desire to see support and documents go to the
                Evans Library instead of Gino precipitated this snit, what can I say. I'm
                guilty. The earlier issue with the photos was resolved and is water over
                the dam. At the Evans Library the photographs and information relating to
                the FJ&G will be protected, preserved and available to anyone seeking
                knowledge. Not pulled down when the money runs out or moved out of the area
                with a new job or whatever becoming untouchable.

                Oh, I also offerred to assist in disposing of any of Walt's FJ&G
                collectibles in the market. We all follow how FJ&G stuff is valued. And I
                didn't do any of this at the wake.

                Is that enough?

                PKL

              • Dean R. Pausley
                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 27, 2005
                  Gino:
                           I can not believe the narrow thought process behind a request such as the one that has been made of you. As a Civil War buff it is the equivalent of: Bruce Catton, author, telling Ted Turner he could neither produce or fund the movies "Gettysburg" and "Of Gods and General" ; or Shelby Foote telling Ken Burns he could not produce "the Civil war" for PBS.
                          Because of the very narrow scope of their endeavor I would think they would like to keep as many potential customers as possible and not alienate anyone. I presume the book will be self-published requiring them to get the absolute best return, i.e. book sales as possible. It would be a shame if no on purchased it due to negative pre-publication publicity.

                  Dean R. Pausley
                  Brunswick, NY

                • Stephen G. Myers
                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 27, 2005
                    Maybe it is time to become a non profit organization since we have a chat
                    room, a web site, monthly meetings, and a yearly reunion? FJ&GRR
                    Historical Society?

                    Steve

                  • Gino DiCarlo
                    Message 9 of 14 , Sep 27, 2005
                      The ball is now in my court...

                      First of all, no one has told me to take down my
                      web-site. This decision was totally up to me. I
                      sent the message out today so that I wouldn't keep
                      people guessing, not to 'roast" anyone on the net.
                      I am deleting (deleted) the web-page because I know
                      Paul thinks it is direct competition to his project.
                      We have talked about this before and we've talked
                      about it this week. Did you forget Paul, you still
                      told me I've "published" to the web? We'll, no big
                      deal. I took the site down and this should end your
                      opinion on this. Hey, I want a new FJ&G book too. I
                      can't wait for you to write one. If you think
                      anything I have on the web could be a minus, then I'd
                      remove it.

                      About a year ago, I posted pictures that a great man
                      took of the FJ&G's ROW in it's entirety. Paul was
                      upset by this and he let us know it by posting a
                      message about "backstabbing." He didn't call me
                      first. After talking to him, I agreed that something
                      that special should be saved for our own members. No
                      debate there. Paul was right! One thing Paul, I
                      guess you don't remember telling me last week that you
                      and Walt worried about sharing your info with me?
                      Remember? Maybe "rob" wasn't the right word!

                      Steve Lamora also mentioned about writing a magazine
                      article on the Glove City Coal Towers. Paul was also
                      upset about this, and I seem to remember a group
                      posting about who to share info with. All the
                      messages are online if anyone wants to check!

                      Two years earlier, my wife lost her job. Boo-hoo. It
                      happens to all of us. My wife and I looked at ways to
                      save money and unfortunately my web-page was going to
                      be a casualty of this. Malcolm Horton, a great human
                      being wouldn't take no for an answer and sent me
                      $150.00 to cover the expenses. I must confess, I used
                      the money to pay bills. A payment to the credit card
                      company that I used to pay the web-site was what I
                      did.
                      To this day, I still feel bad that I accepted Mal's
                      money, but it was something he wanted to do! Thank
                      you again Mal! My web-site never disappeared because
                      of this. My web page only disappeared when my
                      Web-Host didn't renew my domain and that was SEVERAL
                      years ago!!!

                      Now back to the future. The passing of Walt Danylak
                      has been a tough thing on me. Walt was a great guy
                      and like I mentioned before, he and Paul ARE the
                      experts on the FJ&G. Like Dave Nestle before him,
                      losing another FJ&G fan has been tough.

                      When the note came out about donations being made to
                      FJGRR.ORG, I knew there was some kind of mistake. I
                      figured that Walt's family thought we had a
                      legitimate, tax-free organization here. They asked
                      Paul about contributions and he rightfully suggested a
                      place where people's money could be donated with a tax
                      right-off. Makes total sense! I was not happy with
                      the choice of FMCC. Don't get me wrong, I have no say
                      here. I just thought that the place that fed my FJ&G
                      wants would be a good place. I thought The Fulton
                      County Museum would be a great place. I know they
                      need the money. Contributions would be helpful and I
                      think Walt would like it. That's all!

                      At no time did I think money was coming to my
                      web-page. That would be no memorial to Walt! Paul's
                      idea for FMCC is a good one, I don't want there to be
                      any confusion there!!!! As for any of Walt's
                      collection, the college would be better than the
                      Museum. My suggestion was monetary, that's all.

                      I have been talking to Walt's family since before he
                      got very sick. I talked to Walt in the hospital and
                      I'm glad I had some final words with him. I did
                      mention to his brother that I was interested in
                      bringing Walt's display to the Albany Train show. I
                      don't know if anyone remembers it, but he also brought
                      it to the Fonda Fair in years past. I don't want his
                      display, I just wanted to keep the thing going. I
                      would return it back to Walt's family as soon as the
                      show was over!

                      I feel bad that this has come to this. It is not my
                      intention to bad-mouth Paul here. My intention was to
                      get some people to convince Paul that my Web-Site was
                      a good thing for his book project! That's all. Paul
                      is a good man, and I'm not trying to make him out to
                      be a bad guy. If I've given anyone the wrong
                      impression, I apologize to them and Paul.

                      My decision to trash the Web-site was mine, and my
                      stupid move alone.

                      One more thing. I have no comment about this quote:

                      > I felt a cold chill last Tuesday
                      > night, knowing someone
                      > was buttonholing to get hold of the newspaper
                      > research Walt and I did.

                      I sure hope this isn't me they're talking about!

                      Bringing this all up after our friend has passed is a
                      big mistake on my part. If anything, I have
                      disrespected Walt over all this!!! I'm ashamed if
                      I've done that. Unfortunately Walt's passing has made
                      my brain tick more than it should have! 'Group"
                      therapy may not have been a good thing...

                      Gino

                      === message truncated ===

                      __________________________________
                      http://mail.yahoo.com
                    • stevefjg30
                      Message 10 of 14 , Sep 27, 2005
                        Paul I remember about two years ago. I was asking about FCC on the
                        FJ&G.I also remember you not responding because I had said I would
                        like to do an artical for a modeling magazine. The freind you speak
                        of with the photos You nor Gino introduced me to him.He came to me .I
                        also asked to use the pictures for the article and he told me I could
                        use any photo of his. He also recived a nice check from the magazine.
                        For some reason you seem to think you own these photos? And if any
                        one see's them they will cut in to your book sales. I dont belive
                        this to be true as i would buy an FJ&G book if I had seen all the
                        pictures. And what the hell's the difference if someone helped with
                        the FJ&G site? I dont understand that.

                        Steve Lamora

                        --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, "paul larner" <pklarner@h...>

                      • Gerald Snyder
                        Message 11 of 14 , Sep 27, 2005
                          It would be nice to be able to sit back and look at
                          all of this with a calm dispassionate eye, and let
                          logic and reason sort it all out. But that's not
                          where we're at. Emotions have a way of really screwing
                          with us in stressful times.

                          I was deeply saddened at Walt's passing. I only had
                          the opportunity of knowing him for a short time, and
                          then at that in all too brief 2 or 3 hour glimpses
                          once a month. In that short time I came to appreciate
                          his knowledge of and dedication to the FJ&G, and to
                          the loose association of scattered devotees that
                          regularly visit this newsgroup. He was always glad to
                          answer my questions and lend a hand researching a
                          topic of my interest. Walt, and Charlie and Dave and
                          Paul and Gino and the other regulars (no slight
                          intended to anyone whose name I didn't specifically
                          list)welcomed me with open arms, and the generosity
                          displayed and friendships cultivated were well worth
                          traveling the back roads up to Gloversville the last
                          Wednesday of the month. And blocking out a summer
                          Saturday once a year.

                          Reading the various postings the last two nights I am
                          again saddened. I won't pretend to know about what
                          has gone on in the past relative to photo exchanges,
                          postings,publishing,information "ownership", or any of
                          the other things that have led to this rift. They
                          weren't and aren't my business. What I do know,
                          however, or at least believe based on the time I spent
                          at the fair booth, is that there are a lot of people
                          out there that are interested in the FJ&G, either
                          because they remember it, or because they never knew
                          it existed. And unless I'm way off base, that was one
                          of the main things Walt wanted to do - generate
                          interest in the FJ&G. He wouldn't have put so much
                          effort and devotion into it otherwise.

                          For what it's worth, I think there's a pretty good
                          size void out there to be filled, with plenty of room
                          for books and websites and archive collections and
                          museums and little semi-organized historical groups -
                          we need all of them to keep the FJ&G alive.

                          All things considered, I guess I'll forgo the ride to
                          Gloversville tomorrow night.

                          __________________________________
                          http://mail.yahoo.com
                          Message 12 of 14 , Sep 28, 2005
                            I will support your book efforts and I wish the site would remain intact.
                            However this is very disquieting.................

                          • Dick Ryall
                            Message 13 of 14 , Oct 19, 2005
                              BYE guys looks like this group, like the FJ&G is chugging off in to
                              history. sorry.......dick

                              Message 14 of 14 , Oct 19, 2005
                                Dick, She's been reborn!!! She's not going anywhere!

                                Gino

                                --
                                www.ginosrailpage.com
                                www.fjgrr.org