Rail Yard Dinner

  • Saul Kalbfeld
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 11, 2005
      Gino,
      Sorry to hear that you were disappointed by the dinner. Maybe we
      should try another place in 2006 just for some variety. We shared the
      big steak and it was very good. The server was very nice, but maybe
      she was a little overworked. Changing the subject...For the bus tour
      in 2006, do any of the FJG bus route rolls survive so we can see what
      all the routes were. My better half is already less than enthusiastic.
      Could be the ladies might want to organize their own tour, as in does
      this bus go to the mall?
      Saul
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 11, 2005
        Saul,

        When I was a teen, I removed several rolls from the stores building, between
        the shops. For several years they sat in our attic and today I can't say
        where they went. Probably traded. I went back to the house on First Ave a
        few years ago to see what might remain in the attic from when we owned the
        house. It was accessed by a trap over my bedroom in those days; no floor or
        lights. Today they have it opened up with a drop down stairway from the
        hall for a kids area. Needless to say, nothing left or recalled??? I may
        have one somewhere at home but can't be sure, I'll look when I next get
        there. Yes several did survive; they were not destroyed, as I said they
        were most likely traded.

        The routes are defined in a listing of the various franchises held by the
        company in the various counties, towns and cities through which it passed.
        The bus lines could only operate for commercial purposes on specific roads
        and streets.

        Why am I not surprised our wives would not want to endure a bus ride through
        FJ&G territory. Because of the cost factor involved a tour may not be a
        viable option which would pull us back into the library where we could do
        the history and routes with photos, graphics and perhaps models of the
        various styles used. If a tour becomes a reality, wouldn't it be nice if
        there were a bus guy in the area with an operable model of a style used by
        the FJ&G willing to give it a run.

        If I recall I was told years ago by the fellow who did the book on the
        Chicago Terminal RR that to belong to a particular bus group out there one
        had to purchase and restore a bus. He was loading one on a flat car at St.
        Albans for shipment to his home area.

        PKL

        >From: "Saul Kalbfeld" <fjgbus@...>
        >To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: [FJGRailroad] Rail Yard Dinner
        >Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 16:31:40 -0000
        >
        >Gino,
        >Sorry to hear that you were disappointed by the dinner. Maybe we
        >should try another place in 2006 just for some variety. We shared the
        >big steak and it was very good. The server was very nice, but maybe
        >she was a little overworked. Changing the subject...For the bus tour
        >in 2006, do any of the FJG bus route rolls survive so we can see what
        >all the routes were. My better half is already less than enthusiastic.
        >Could be the ladies might want to organize their own tour, as in does
        >this bus go to the mall?
        >Saul

      • Gino DiCarlo
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 11, 2005
          Several years ago an FJ&G Bus Roll went up for auction
          on Ebay. It
          was listed as a "trolley" roll, but it had all the
          stops on the Schenectady to Gloversville Bus Route. I
          was high-bidder on it, but let John Smatlak of the
          Orange Empire Musuem get it. I was hoping he was
          going to use it somehow with the Bullet Car out there.
          Since the Brill car is going to have Salt Lake City
          stops, maybe John would be willing to sell it to
          someone in the group, let's say Paul Larner? I know
          he won the roll for 25 bucks so it shoukdn't be too
          much. Paul, if you want his email let me know!

          Gino

          --- Saul Kalbfeld <fjgbus@...> wrote:

          > Gino,
          > Sorry to hear that you were disappointed by the
          > dinner. Maybe we
          > should try another place in 2006 just for some
          > variety. We shared the
          > big steak and it was very good. The server was very
          > nice, but maybe
          > she was a little overworked. Changing the
          > subject...For the bus tour
          > in 2006, do any of the FJG bus route rolls survive
          > so we can see what
          > all the routes were. My better half is already less
          > than enthusiastic.
          > Could be the ladies might want to organize their own
          > tour, as in does
          > this bus go to the mall?
          > Saul

          http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
        • oleroadslug
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 12, 2005
            Sorry to hear you guys had less than satisfactory food.

            May want to try Lanzi's on the lake in Mayfield. Best get reservations
            though. It is along the FJ&G ROW +/- to Northville. I was there a
            dozen times and never had a bad experience.

            Is the old Beachcomber in Northhampton now part of the Lanzi's Empire?

            Just down from the Depot and the Northville Bridge? That may be more of
            a bar atmosphere though.

            I'll ask some friends in Northville for suggestions.

            Regards,

            Bob Schoneman
            Appleton, Wi
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 12, 2005
              No Bob, just me and a couple of other people. It looks like most people
              Had good meals. Lanzi's on the lake is a good restaurant. I think
              you're
              Thinking of their other place, the Sport Island Pub. The Pub has been a
              Place that we've had lunch at several times. Always great too! The
              Lanzis
              Are friends of my family and I was told that they built the Sport Island
              Pub to keep the riff-raff out of Lanzi's on The Lake who just wanted to
              Visit the bar. It seems that they were the only bar between Cranberry
              Creek
              And Northville.

              Sorry to hear you guys had less than satisfactory food.

              May want to try Lanzi's on the lake in Mayfield. Best get reservations
              though. It is along the FJ&G ROW +/- to Northville. I was there a
              dozen times and never had a bad experience.

              Is the old Beachcomber in Northhampton now part of the Lanzi's Empire?

              Just down from the Depot and the Northville Bridge? That may be more of
              a bar atmosphere though.

              I'll ask some friends in Northville for suggestions.

              Regards,

              Bob Schoneman
              Appleton, Wi

              Visit Gino's Railpage at
              Visit Pete Seftons Lost Landmark Page http://www.lostlandmarks.org Visit
              Charles P. Woolever's Existing Railroad Stations in New York State at
              http://ny.existingstations.com/
              Yahoo! Groups Links
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 13, 2005
                Bob,

                I think you're right on with Lanzi's. Certainly couldn't be any more
                expensive than the RailYard and does have the advantage of the lake in the
                view.

                PKL

                >From: "oleroadslug" <suds@...>
                >To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                >Subject: [FJGRailroad] Re: Rail Yard Dinner
                >Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2005 04:33:24 -0000
                >
                >Sorry to hear you guys had less than satisfactory food.
                >
                >May want to try Lanzi's on the lake in Mayfield. Best get reservations
                >though. It is along the FJ&G ROW +/- to Northville. I was there a
                >dozen times and never had a bad experience.
                >
                >Is the old Beachcomber in Northhampton now part of the Lanzi's Empire?
                >
                >Just down from the Depot and the Northville Bridge? That may be more of
                >a bar atmosphere though.
                >
                >I'll ask some friends in Northville for suggestions.
                >
                >Regards,
                >
                >Bob Schoneman
                >Appleton, Wi

              • Gerald Snyder
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 13, 2005
                  Just for the record, the Snyders all enjoyed their
                  dinners. We had never eaten at the Railyard until the
                  get-together three years ago, but since then we've
                  been there several times and never had a bad meal.
                  That said, we're game to try someplace else next time
                  around. I was also going to suggest Lanzi's as that
                  is very good and in the "FJ&G area". Personally, for
                  what it's worth, I've been disapointed with the
                  Raindancer the last couple times I was there. The new
                  Crystal Bar (whatever they call it it will always be
                  Crystal BAR to us Amsterdamians) is also very good.

                  On a different subject, I've been approached to set up
                  the FJ&G booth for the Fonda Fair (wasn't this
                  previously Walt's baby?). I don't have any details
                  yet but have a meeting Monday to find out what's
                  involved. Not sure I'm knowledgable enough to pull
                  this off so I have a feeling that I may be sending out
                  an SOS for ideas and info real soon!
                  Jerry

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • Dave Brennan
                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 13, 2005
                            Keep in mind that Lanzi has let it be known that he is trying to sellout and move out!!
                                                                       Dave

                    http://mail.yahoo.com

                  • choochoo1802@webtv.net
                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 13, 2005
                      Whenever I get up in that area,our family likes that Windmill in
                      Amsterdam.Mark
                      Message 10 of 11 , Aug 13, 2005
                        Jerry,

                        That's good that you're going to the Fonda Fair. I don't know my
                        schedule then, but
                        Maybe I could help you out one day?

                        http://mail.yahoo.com

                        Message 11 of 11 , Aug 13, 2005