Sacandaga Park

    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 13, 2005
      This is from the Hamilton County News...

      Cottage plan being abandoned
      By CRAIG CLARK

      Special to the News

      NORTHAMPTON-Citing rising property taxes hindering the real estate
      market, the developer working on a proposed 15-unit residential
      development in Sacandaga Park here has changed his plans for a series
      of cottages and is now selling off the land.

      'It's basically a change of plans,' said developer Willem Monster,
      owner of the 10-acre plot referred to as Sacandaga Station. 'The
      property taxes are basically destroying market.'

      While Monster says he won't build the cottages as he planned, he
      expects the Sacandaga Station project will still come to fruition much
      as he originally envisioned.

      The property was once owned by Fonda-Johnstown-Gloversville (FJ&G)
      Railroad. The recently restored station building itself, built in 1922
      during the height of Sacandaga Park's 'amusement park period', is
      considered the jewel of the property.

      Monster planned to begin construction on a series of four-season
      cottages this summer with the station as the centerpiece. Eventually
      the development would have included 15 units.

      ZONING CHANGED

      In recent months his plans brought him before the Northampton Town
      Board seeking an amendment to the zoning law. The council amended the
      law in June, allowing Monster's proposal to proceed as he planned.

      Previously, through some oversight when the law was originally
      crafted, town officials say, Northampton zoning prohibited residential
      structures from being built on Route 30's commercially zoned land.
      Town planners recently discovered the prohibition, prompting the need
      for the amendment for Monster.

      But now Monster said his market research indicates that should he
      construct the cottages they wouldn't sell. He blames a large number of
      homes and cottages around the lake already for sale. The availability
      of older homes would make the sale of his new cottages difficult, he
      added.

      'If we built the houses we'd get stuck with them,' Monster said. 'And
      that's what the realtors say-it's a tough sell.'

      He blames unfunded state mandates and the resulting rise in property
      taxes as the reason so many homes are for sale in the area.

      LOTS BEING SOLD

      Monster said he put 10 lots of his Sacandaga Station parcel up for
      sale the last week of June. The lots, including three lakefront
      parcels, vary from a quarter-acre to a half-acre in size.

      Monster said while he's not building the cottages himself he expects
      to influence the construction plans of those who purchase his lots.

      'We want to maintain a cottage style of housing,' he said, adding that
      the summer resort atmosphere Sacandaga Station is known for will be
      maintained.

      Monster said he also intends to pursue businesses wishing to locate in the area.

      'We're looking at bringing in more businesses,' he said, adding that
      he intends to seek assistance on the business end from Fulton County
      Economic Development Corporation.

      --
      www.ginosrailpage.com
      www.fjgrr.org
      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 15, 2005
        Does anyone know how to reach this guy?

        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 15, 2005
          Yes.... :-)

          EtekDesign Corporation, Inc.
          A. Willem Monster
          373 Bunker Hill Road
          Mayfield, NY 12117
          518-863-2860
          Fax:518-863-2860
          Email : willem@...
          Http://www.etekdesign.com
          *INTERNET TECHNOLOGY CREATIVELY APPLIED* We provide both computer &
          internet services including connecting devices to the internet, network
          design, WEB Site, & Graphics Interface Design.