RE: [FJGRailroad] 4-6-0 ?

    Message 1 of 18 , Jun 7, 2005
      Between the Commissioner reports and the newspaper accounts there is no
      indication that the company acquired any new locomotives between 1876 and
      1887. In the commissioner reports you can find the number of freight and
      passenger locomotives, generally a distinction between a six drivered and
      four drivered respectively, and the capital acount amount.Both Dave's and
      Gordon's rosters are incomplete and in some measure incorrect. Locomotives
      were acquired in 1870 (Pioneer and Cayadutta, both 4-4-0), 1871 (Willard J.
      heacock 4-6-0), 1874 (No. 4, the Dummy 2-4-2T), 1876 (No. 5 described as a
      4-6-0 when delivered). The next acquisitions were three second hand
      locomotives acquired for a Pennsylvania road in September 1887. In 1888 the
      company acquired four more second hand locomotives. After that we get into
      the ara wher records are better available starting with purchased from
      Schenectady, No. 7, 10, Oregon No 8 (1893), 3 (1894), 6 (1899), 9, 12
      (1900), 8 (1901). The Mamie was a Cayadutta engine and maintained for
      several years likely using the No. 11 though it was never owned by the FJ&G.

      It took a lot of digging to understand the numbering logic between 1892 and
      1901. Those PA. engines were numberd up to 9, however, except for 1,4,6,7
      which were put into service for relatively long periods of time there are no
      pictures (so far), only newspaper references. Some of these remained in the
      account of the Machine Shop company, a private company owned by the
      railroad's directors, being leased to the railroad as needed. They seem to
      have been bought on spec to take advantage of Putman's abilities to rebuild
      locomotives. Those not needed were resold and eventually led to the
      contract with NYP&E Co, for whom the company rebuilt around 25 locomotives.
      During the period of the Foundry and Machine Company, Putman and his shop
      employees were not on the railroad payroll, but the GF&M Co.

      There is a reference to another tank engine in 1877, called the "Pony" vis a
      vis the "Dummy." Because the crisis was resolved almost as soon as the
      engine appeared on the property it must have been sold or scrapped. There
      is nothing known other than it was there and had to be rebuilt (Maybe this
      is the engine in Jerry's picture). It was not capitalized.

      Someday I'll get this book finished where you can read the whole story.
      $$$$

      Paul

    • Gerald Snyder
      Message 2 of 18 , Jun 8, 2005
        Gino,
        How do you want them?
        Jerry

        --- "Dicarlo, Gino" <Gino.Dicarlo@...> wrote:

        > Let's see those Jerry!
        >
        > gino

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Gerald Snyder
        Message 3 of 18 , Jun 8, 2005
          Gentlemen,
          Another mystery to solve. This is from a group of
          "local" postcards (supposedly) that I acquired. Can
          anyone tell if this is the FJ&G, and if so, where the
          shot may have been taken? I also did a high res scan
          but blowing it up doesn't show me any detail or
          landmarks that I can identify.
          Thanks,
          Jerry

          --- Gerald Snyder <handyman756@...> wrote:

          > Gino,
          > How do you want them?
          > Jerry
          >
          > --- "Dicarlo, Gino" <Gino.Dicarlo@...> wrote:
          >
          > > Let's see those Jerry!
          > >
          > > gino

          __________________________________
          Yahoo! Mail Mobile
          http://mobile.yahoo.com/learn/mail
          Message 4 of 18 , Jun 8, 2005
            It appears to be looking in a generally north direction at the high bridge.
            The FJ&G ran their freight locomotives backwards to Fonda, the creek is
            where it should be, the road and isn't that a bridge above the train. The
            track geometry is correct for the area too. This is one I'd like a hi res
            scan of.

            PKL

            Message 5 of 18 , Jun 8, 2005
              The more I look at it the more certain I am that it is the high bridge.
              Notivce the road to the right proceeding up the hill across the photo and
              also you can see the Sammonsville road proceeding toward teh location of the
              bridge and the creek. They all fit the area.

              Message 6 of 18 , Jun 8, 2005
                Also the tender makes it appear to be locomotive No. 12 putting the photo
                between 1900 and 1923

                Message 7 of 18 , Jun 11, 2005
                  I missed something. What was the GF&M and the NYP&E?

                  Message 8 of 18 , Jun 11, 2005
                    GF&M or GM&F was a company formed by the officers of the FJ&G. I do not
                    know who the principles were of the New York Power and Equipment Co. Did
                    some searching at the Business library on Madison Ave at 34th but couldn't
                    find the company. FJ&G rebuilt 25 or more locomotives on their account in
                    the early nineties. Before that GF&M were doing it for themselves. Don't
                    recall, if I ever knew, who brokered the second hand locomotives to the FJ&G
                    in '87 and '88. Could have been NYP&E. They came to examine Putman's work
                    before agreeing to send work to the Gloversville shop. The rebuildings were
                    often major for which the shop was well equipped. It was when NYC took over
                    the reins that the heavy shop work went elsewhere. After the CE men took
                    control the heavy work was not reestablished in Gloversville though the shop
                    still did plenty. NYC returned the shop to the railroad's balance sheet,
                    thereby removing part of the old directors gravy train. The coal company
                    remained separate until 1901, when the CE company finally gave something
                    back to the holdouts from the original FJ&G company for they screwing the
                    brought on themselves by dealing with the NYC people. The old boys were
                    cagey but the got conned pretty good.

                    I have wondered where these extra dozen or so locomotives were kept while
                    awaiting repairs and whether or not the FJ&G used them in testing afer
                    completion. This might account for some of the various odd photos of
                    equipment alleged to be on the FJ&G.

                    PKL

                    Message 9 of 18 , Jun 13, 2005
                      Could tyhat be coming into Sammonsville ?