RE: [FJGRailroad] 4-6-0 ?

    Message 1 of 18 , Jun 6, 2005
      According to Gordon & Mowers (can not locate Dave's book right now) the FJ&G
      owned the following locomotives that would fit the time frame:

      # 4 4-6-0 Cooke Works 1871

      # 6 McQueen no date (never heard of McQueen other than Steve)

      The only reason to be in Elmira would be that they were being deliverd and
      came that route......

      Message 2 of 18 , Jun 6, 2005
        This may indeed be a picture of the first No. 5 while being delivered. I
        believe locomotive No. 5 came as a 4-6-0, at least the newspaper accounts of
        the locomotive delivered January 27, 1876 was a ten wheeler and the fifth
        engine known to have been actually owned by the road. My thinking is that
        Putman rebuilt the engine into a 2-6-0 in the company shops. Match the
        picture to one of the No 5 to see if the cab, drivers or domes match; Putman
        rebuilt everything that needed to be done but more often his rebuilding
        involved the smokeboxes, cylinder cradles and smoke stacks (front end work).

        While there is reference to a sixth locomotive owned by the road, if not a
        typo, this may be a reference counting a second hand construction locomotive
        whose boiler provided the power and heat supply for the first machine shop
        and is only referenced in the "sixth locomotive" quote and on the Sanborn
        map done of the shop area immediately after the big fire. An "old
        locomotive" boiler is shown. It is not from one of the known "owned"
        locomotives - Pioneer (David A. Wells, 1st No. 1), Cayadutta, (No. 2), W. J.
        Heacock (1st No. 3), No. 4 (the Dummy engine). When the fire occurred
        Putman had done rebuildings of his own engines but there is not record
        either from the commissioner reports or the newspapers of acquisitions
        between 1876 and 1887.

        What makes certainty difficult during 1876 is that the Gloversville papers
        have not been found for the entire year and the Johnstown paper is still
        (five years now) at the State Library waiting, or maybe I'm the only one
        waiting, to be put on microfilm.

        Walter McQueen was involved with John Ellis and later became a partner in
        what became the Schenectady Locomotive Works. I think McQueen came from the
        Norris Brothers Works who put up the money for the original works at
        Schenectady. Ellis bought control at an opportune time then it became the
        Ellis Locomotive Works.

        Walter McQueen ws the heart of Schenectady Locomotive Works if not the one
        with the most money invested. For the whole story of Schenectady and its
        locomotive works and the men involved go to Schenectadyhistory.org where you
        will find a link to the railroad history or do a google search "McQueen
        Locomotive Works" and click on the Schenectady link.

        PKL

        >From: "joseph Klapkowski" <riverlinejoe@...>
        >To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: RE: [FJGRailroad] 4-6-0 ?
        >Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2005 01:57:41 +0000
        >
        >According to Gordon & Mowers (can not locate Dave's book right now) the
        >FJ&G
        >owned the following locomotives that would fit the time frame:
        >
        ># 4 4-6-0 Cooke Works 1871
        >
        ># 6 McQueen no date (never heard of McQueen other than Steve)
        >
        >The only reason to be in Elmira would be that they were being deliverd and
        >came that route......
        >
        > >From: "handyman756" <handyman756@...>
        > >To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
        > >Subject: [FJGRailroad] 4-6-0 ?
        > >Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2005 01:43:40 -0000
        > >
        > >I just bought a group of 7 photos that are supposedly all FJ&G. Six of
        > >the group are trolleys and obviously correctly identified. The
        > >remaining photo is a shot of an 4-6-0 identified as having been taken
        > >in Elmira NY in 1876. Did the FJ&G ever own a 4-6-0? And if so, any
        > >idea if/why it would have been in Elmira at that time? There is no
        > >identification on the engine that I can see in the picture.
        > >Thanks,
        > >Jerry

      • Gerald Snyder
        Message 3 of 18 , Jun 7, 2005
          Paul/Joe,
          Thanks for the info. Picture of engine attached.
          Jerry

          http://mail.yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 18 , Jun 7, 2005
            Jerry, I'm inclined to say that locomotive didn't "work" on the FJ&G if it
            ever went there. That engine may be a McQueen. it's inside connected pre
            dating the Civil war by a couple years and then a couple more. I started
            when I saw the tankbecause I have not yet found pictures of the Baldwin
            "dummy" purchased new in 1874, but then saw the six drivers. It a nice photo
            but unlikely an engine ever taken to Gloversville. However, we still cannot
            identify the engine from which that shop boiler was taken.

            PKL

            Message 5 of 18 , Jun 7, 2005
              At least the trolley shots are FJ&G!
              Thanks,
              Jerry

              http://mail.yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 18 , Jun 7, 2005
                I still wouldn't rule that photo out; may have been used during
                construction. When Lawton Caten came to the FJ&G in 1869 to complete the
                road, he came from that area. He was born and educated in the Syracuse area
                but his rr work took him to that area and it is very likely he brought the
                thing with him or purchased it from a known source. There is no record of
                any engine on the property prior to the Pioneer, but I have a hard time
                accepting that all the work laying rail was done without a locomotive of
                some sort.

                There is a photo of a 110 on the FJ&G allegedly a borrowed NYC engine, and
                also a picture of a Rogers' engine alllegedly on the property. The Rogers
                engine could have been one that Putman put trough the shop for NYE&P CO, a
                locomotive broker. I would really enjoy finding a picture of a NYC excursion
                train on the FJ&G at one of the identifiable stations of the Park. They
                came up regularly in the 1890's. NYC coaches were regularly borrowed for
                the large excursions unless the NYC was short. At the time of teh Buffalo
                exposition the NYC was actually using FJ&G coaches in their mainline trains
                between Albany and Buffalo.

                Message 7 of 18 , Jun 7, 2005
                  So Paul, you are saying that the RR Comm reports do not show anything about
                  engines being acquired between '76 and '87?

                  Message 8 of 18 , Jun 7, 2005
                    Let's see those Jerry!

                    gino

                    Message 9 of 18 , Jun 7, 2005
                      Between the Commissioner reports and the newspaper accounts there is no
                      indication that the company acquired any new locomotives between 1876 and
                      1887. In the commissioner reports you can find the number of freight and
                      passenger locomotives, generally a distinction between a six drivered and
                      four drivered respectively, and the capital acount amount.Both Dave's and
                      Gordon's rosters are incomplete and in some measure incorrect. Locomotives
                      were acquired in 1870 (Pioneer and Cayadutta, both 4-4-0), 1871 (Willard J.
                      heacock 4-6-0), 1874 (No. 4, the Dummy 2-4-2T), 1876 (No. 5 described as a
                      4-6-0 when delivered). The next acquisitions were three second hand
                      locomotives acquired for a Pennsylvania road in September 1887. In 1888 the
                      company acquired four more second hand locomotives. After that we get into
                      the ara wher records are better available starting with purchased from
                      Schenectady, No. 7, 10, Oregon No 8 (1893), 3 (1894), 6 (1899), 9, 12
                      (1900), 8 (1901). The Mamie was a Cayadutta engine and maintained for
                      several years likely using the No. 11 though it was never owned by the FJ&G.

                      It took a lot of digging to understand the numbering logic between 1892 and
                      1901. Those PA. engines were numberd up to 9, however, except for 1,4,6,7
                      which were put into service for relatively long periods of time there are no
                      pictures (so far), only newspaper references. Some of these remained in the
                      account of the Machine Shop company, a private company owned by the
                      railroad's directors, being leased to the railroad as needed. They seem to
                      have been bought on spec to take advantage of Putman's abilities to rebuild
                      locomotives. Those not needed were resold and eventually led to the
                      contract with NYP&E Co, for whom the company rebuilt around 25 locomotives.
                      During the period of the Foundry and Machine Company, Putman and his shop
                      employees were not on the railroad payroll, but the GF&M Co.

                      There is a reference to another tank engine in 1877, called the "Pony" vis a
                      vis the "Dummy." Because the crisis was resolved almost as soon as the
                      engine appeared on the property it must have been sold or scrapped. There
                      is nothing known other than it was there and had to be rebuilt (Maybe this
                      is the engine in Jerry's picture). It was not capitalized.

                      Someday I'll get this book finished where you can read the whole story.
                      $$$$

                      Paul

                    • Gerald Snyder
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jun 8, 2005
                        Gino,
                        How do you want them?
                        Jerry

                        --- "Dicarlo, Gino" <Gino.Dicarlo@...> wrote:

                        > Let's see those Jerry!
                        >
                        > gino

                        http://mail.yahoo.com
                      • Gerald Snyder
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jun 8, 2005
                          Gentlemen,
                          Another mystery to solve. This is from a group of
                          "local" postcards (supposedly) that I acquired. Can
                          anyone tell if this is the FJ&G, and if so, where the
                          shot may have been taken? I also did a high res scan
                          but blowing it up doesn't show me any detail or
                          landmarks that I can identify.
                          Thanks,
                          Jerry

                          --- Gerald Snyder <handyman756@...> wrote:

                          > Gino,
                          > How do you want them?
                          > Jerry
                          >
                          > --- "Dicarlo, Gino" <Gino.Dicarlo@...> wrote:
                          >
                          > > Let's see those Jerry!
                          > >
                          > > gino

                          __________________________________
                          Yahoo! Mail Mobile
                          http://mobile.yahoo.com/learn/mail
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jun 8, 2005
                            It appears to be looking in a generally north direction at the high bridge.
                            The FJ&G ran their freight locomotives backwards to Fonda, the creek is
                            where it should be, the road and isn't that a bridge above the train. The
                            track geometry is correct for the area too. This is one I'd like a hi res
                            scan of.

                            Message 13 of 18 , Jun 8, 2005
                              The more I look at it the more certain I am that it is the high bridge.
                              Notivce the road to the right proceeding up the hill across the photo and
                              also you can see the Sammonsville road proceeding toward teh location of the
                              bridge and the creek. They all fit the area.

                              Message 14 of 18 , Jun 8, 2005
                                Also the tender makes it appear to be locomotive No. 12 putting the photo
                                between 1900 and 1923

                                Message 15 of 18 , Jun 11, 2005
                                  I missed something. What was the GF&M and the NYP&E?

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jun 11, 2005
                                    GF&M or GM&F was a company formed by the officers of the FJ&G. I do not
                                    know who the principles were of the New York Power and Equipment Co. Did
                                    some searching at the Business library on Madison Ave at 34th but couldn't
                                    find the company. FJ&G rebuilt 25 or more locomotives on their account in
                                    the early nineties. Before that GF&M were doing it for themselves. Don't
                                    recall, if I ever knew, who brokered the second hand locomotives to the FJ&G
                                    in '87 and '88. Could have been NYP&E. They came to examine Putman's work
                                    before agreeing to send work to the Gloversville shop. The rebuildings were
                                    often major for which the shop was well equipped. It was when NYC took over
                                    the reins that the heavy shop work went elsewhere. After the CE men took
                                    control the heavy work was not reestablished in Gloversville though the shop
                                    still did plenty. NYC returned the shop to the railroad's balance sheet,
                                    thereby removing part of the old directors gravy train. The coal company
                                    remained separate until 1901, when the CE company finally gave something
                                    back to the holdouts from the original FJ&G company for they screwing the
                                    brought on themselves by dealing with the NYC people. The old boys were
                                    cagey but the got conned pretty good.

                                    I have wondered where these extra dozen or so locomotives were kept while
                                    awaiting repairs and whether or not the FJ&G used them in testing afer
                                    completion. This might account for some of the various odd photos of
                                    equipment alleged to be on the FJ&G.

                                    Message 17 of 18 , Jun 13, 2005
                                      Could tyhat be coming into Sammonsville ?