4-6-0 ?

  • handyman756
    Message 1 of 18 , Jun 6, 2005
      I just bought a group of 7 photos that are supposedly all FJ&G. Six of
      the group are trolleys and obviously correctly identified. The
      remaining photo is a shot of an 4-6-0 identified as having been taken
      in Elmira NY in 1876. Did the FJ&G ever own a 4-6-0? And if so, any
      idea if/why it would have been in Elmira at that time? There is no
      identification on the engine that I can see in the picture.
      Thanks,
      Jerry
      Message 2 of 18 , Jun 6, 2005
        According to Gordon & Mowers (can not locate Dave's book right now) the FJ&G
        owned the following locomotives that would fit the time frame:

        # 4 4-6-0 Cooke Works 1871

        # 6 McQueen no date (never heard of McQueen other than Steve)

        The only reason to be in Elmira would be that they were being deliverd and
        came that route......

        Message 3 of 18 , Jun 6, 2005
          This may indeed be a picture of the first No. 5 while being delivered. I
          believe locomotive No. 5 came as a 4-6-0, at least the newspaper accounts of
          the locomotive delivered January 27, 1876 was a ten wheeler and the fifth
          engine known to have been actually owned by the road. My thinking is that
          Putman rebuilt the engine into a 2-6-0 in the company shops. Match the
          picture to one of the No 5 to see if the cab, drivers or domes match; Putman
          rebuilt everything that needed to be done but more often his rebuilding
          involved the smokeboxes, cylinder cradles and smoke stacks (front end work).

          While there is reference to a sixth locomotive owned by the road, if not a
          typo, this may be a reference counting a second hand construction locomotive
          whose boiler provided the power and heat supply for the first machine shop
          and is only referenced in the "sixth locomotive" quote and on the Sanborn
          map done of the shop area immediately after the big fire. An "old
          locomotive" boiler is shown. It is not from one of the known "owned"
          locomotives - Pioneer (David A. Wells, 1st No. 1), Cayadutta, (No. 2), W. J.
          Heacock (1st No. 3), No. 4 (the Dummy engine). When the fire occurred
          Putman had done rebuildings of his own engines but there is not record
          either from the commissioner reports or the newspapers of acquisitions
          between 1876 and 1887.

          What makes certainty difficult during 1876 is that the Gloversville papers
          have not been found for the entire year and the Johnstown paper is still
          (five years now) at the State Library waiting, or maybe I'm the only one
          waiting, to be put on microfilm.

          Walter McQueen was involved with John Ellis and later became a partner in
          what became the Schenectady Locomotive Works. I think McQueen came from the
          Norris Brothers Works who put up the money for the original works at
          Schenectady. Ellis bought control at an opportune time then it became the
          Ellis Locomotive Works.

          Walter McQueen ws the heart of Schenectady Locomotive Works if not the one
          with the most money invested. For the whole story of Schenectady and its
          locomotive works and the men involved go to Schenectadyhistory.org where you
          will find a link to the railroad history or do a google search "McQueen
          Locomotive Works" and click on the Schenectady link.

          PKL

          >From: "joseph Klapkowski" <riverlinejoe@...>
          >To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: RE: [FJGRailroad] 4-6-0 ?
          >Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2005 01:57:41 +0000
          >
          >According to Gordon & Mowers (can not locate Dave's book right now) the
          >FJ&G
          >owned the following locomotives that would fit the time frame:
          >
          ># 4 4-6-0 Cooke Works 1871
          >
          ># 6 McQueen no date (never heard of McQueen other than Steve)
          >
          >The only reason to be in Elmira would be that they were being deliverd and
          >came that route......
          >
          > >From: "handyman756" <handyman756@...>
          > >To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
          > >Subject: [FJGRailroad] 4-6-0 ?
          > >Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2005 01:43:40 -0000
          > >
          > >I just bought a group of 7 photos that are supposedly all FJ&G. Six of
          > >the group are trolleys and obviously correctly identified. The
          > >remaining photo is a shot of an 4-6-0 identified as having been taken
          > >in Elmira NY in 1876. Did the FJ&G ever own a 4-6-0? And if so, any
          > >idea if/why it would have been in Elmira at that time? There is no
          > >identification on the engine that I can see in the picture.
          > >Thanks,
          > >Jerry

        • Gerald Snyder
          Message 4 of 18 , Jun 7, 2005
            Paul/Joe,
            Thanks for the info. Picture of engine attached.
            Jerry

            http://mail.yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 18 , Jun 7, 2005
              Jerry, I'm inclined to say that locomotive didn't "work" on the FJ&G if it
              ever went there. That engine may be a McQueen. it's inside connected pre
              dating the Civil war by a couple years and then a couple more. I started
              when I saw the tankbecause I have not yet found pictures of the Baldwin
              "dummy" purchased new in 1874, but then saw the six drivers. It a nice photo
              but unlikely an engine ever taken to Gloversville. However, we still cannot
              identify the engine from which that shop boiler was taken.

              PKL

              Message 6 of 18 , Jun 7, 2005
                At least the trolley shots are FJ&G!
                Thanks,
                Jerry

                http://mail.yahoo.com
                Message 7 of 18 , Jun 7, 2005
                  I still wouldn't rule that photo out; may have been used during
                  construction. When Lawton Caten came to the FJ&G in 1869 to complete the
                  road, he came from that area. He was born and educated in the Syracuse area
                  but his rr work took him to that area and it is very likely he brought the
                  thing with him or purchased it from a known source. There is no record of
                  any engine on the property prior to the Pioneer, but I have a hard time
                  accepting that all the work laying rail was done without a locomotive of
                  some sort.

                  There is a photo of a 110 on the FJ&G allegedly a borrowed NYC engine, and
                  also a picture of a Rogers' engine alllegedly on the property. The Rogers
                  engine could have been one that Putman put trough the shop for NYE&P CO, a
                  locomotive broker. I would really enjoy finding a picture of a NYC excursion
                  train on the FJ&G at one of the identifiable stations of the Park. They
                  came up regularly in the 1890's. NYC coaches were regularly borrowed for
                  the large excursions unless the NYC was short. At the time of teh Buffalo
                  exposition the NYC was actually using FJ&G coaches in their mainline trains
                  between Albany and Buffalo.

                  Message 8 of 18 , Jun 7, 2005
                    So Paul, you are saying that the RR Comm reports do not show anything about
                    engines being acquired between '76 and '87?

                    Message 9 of 18 , Jun 7, 2005
                      Let's see those Jerry!

                      gino

                      Message 10 of 18 , Jun 7, 2005
                        Between the Commissioner reports and the newspaper accounts there is no
                        indication that the company acquired any new locomotives between 1876 and
                        1887. In the commissioner reports you can find the number of freight and
                        passenger locomotives, generally a distinction between a six drivered and
                        four drivered respectively, and the capital acount amount.Both Dave's and
                        Gordon's rosters are incomplete and in some measure incorrect. Locomotives
                        were acquired in 1870 (Pioneer and Cayadutta, both 4-4-0), 1871 (Willard J.
                        heacock 4-6-0), 1874 (No. 4, the Dummy 2-4-2T), 1876 (No. 5 described as a
                        4-6-0 when delivered). The next acquisitions were three second hand
                        locomotives acquired for a Pennsylvania road in September 1887. In 1888 the
                        company acquired four more second hand locomotives. After that we get into
                        the ara wher records are better available starting with purchased from
                        Schenectady, No. 7, 10, Oregon No 8 (1893), 3 (1894), 6 (1899), 9, 12
                        (1900), 8 (1901). The Mamie was a Cayadutta engine and maintained for
                        several years likely using the No. 11 though it was never owned by the FJ&G.

                        It took a lot of digging to understand the numbering logic between 1892 and
                        1901. Those PA. engines were numberd up to 9, however, except for 1,4,6,7
                        which were put into service for relatively long periods of time there are no
                        pictures (so far), only newspaper references. Some of these remained in the
                        account of the Machine Shop company, a private company owned by the
                        railroad's directors, being leased to the railroad as needed. They seem to
                        have been bought on spec to take advantage of Putman's abilities to rebuild
                        locomotives. Those not needed were resold and eventually led to the
                        contract with NYP&E Co, for whom the company rebuilt around 25 locomotives.
                        During the period of the Foundry and Machine Company, Putman and his shop
                        employees were not on the railroad payroll, but the GF&M Co.

                        There is a reference to another tank engine in 1877, called the "Pony" vis a
                        vis the "Dummy." Because the crisis was resolved almost as soon as the
                        engine appeared on the property it must have been sold or scrapped. There
                        is nothing known other than it was there and had to be rebuilt (Maybe this
                        is the engine in Jerry's picture). It was not capitalized.

                        Someday I'll get this book finished where you can read the whole story.
                        $$$$

                        Paul

                      • Gerald Snyder
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jun 8, 2005
                          Gino,
                          How do you want them?
                          Jerry

                          --- "Dicarlo, Gino" <Gino.Dicarlo@...> wrote:

                          > Let's see those Jerry!
                          >
                          > gino

                          http://mail.yahoo.com
                        • Gerald Snyder
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jun 8, 2005
                            Gentlemen,
                            Another mystery to solve. This is from a group of
                            "local" postcards (supposedly) that I acquired. Can
                            anyone tell if this is the FJ&G, and if so, where the
                            shot may have been taken? I also did a high res scan
                            but blowing it up doesn't show me any detail or
                            landmarks that I can identify.
                            Thanks,
                            Jerry

                            --- Gerald Snyder <handyman756@...> wrote:

                            > Gino,
                            > How do you want them?
                            > Jerry
                            >
                            > --- "Dicarlo, Gino" <Gino.Dicarlo@...> wrote:
                            >
                            > > Let's see those Jerry!
                            > >
                            > > gino

                            __________________________________
                            Yahoo! Mail Mobile
                            http://mobile.yahoo.com/learn/mail
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jun 8, 2005
                              It appears to be looking in a generally north direction at the high bridge.
                              The FJ&G ran their freight locomotives backwards to Fonda, the creek is
                              where it should be, the road and isn't that a bridge above the train. The
                              track geometry is correct for the area too. This is one I'd like a hi res
                              scan of.

                              Message 14 of 18 , Jun 8, 2005
                                The more I look at it the more certain I am that it is the high bridge.
                                Notivce the road to the right proceeding up the hill across the photo and
                                also you can see the Sammonsville road proceeding toward teh location of the
                                bridge and the creek. They all fit the area.

                                Message 15 of 18 , Jun 8, 2005
                                  Also the tender makes it appear to be locomotive No. 12 putting the photo
                                  between 1900 and 1923

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jun 11, 2005
                                    I missed something. What was the GF&M and the NYP&E?

                                    Message 17 of 18 , Jun 11, 2005
                                      GF&M or GM&F was a company formed by the officers of the FJ&G. I do not
                                      know who the principles were of the New York Power and Equipment Co. Did
                                      some searching at the Business library on Madison Ave at 34th but couldn't
                                      find the company. FJ&G rebuilt 25 or more locomotives on their account in
                                      the early nineties. Before that GF&M were doing it for themselves. Don't
                                      recall, if I ever knew, who brokered the second hand locomotives to the FJ&G
                                      in '87 and '88. Could have been NYP&E. They came to examine Putman's work
                                      before agreeing to send work to the Gloversville shop. The rebuildings were
                                      often major for which the shop was well equipped. It was when NYC took over
                                      the reins that the heavy shop work went elsewhere. After the CE men took
                                      control the heavy work was not reestablished in Gloversville though the shop
                                      still did plenty. NYC returned the shop to the railroad's balance sheet,
                                      thereby removing part of the old directors gravy train. The coal company
                                      remained separate until 1901, when the CE company finally gave something
                                      back to the holdouts from the original FJ&G company for they screwing the
                                      brought on themselves by dealing with the NYC people. The old boys were
                                      cagey but the got conned pretty good.

                                      I have wondered where these extra dozen or so locomotives were kept while
                                      awaiting repairs and whether or not the FJ&G used them in testing afer
                                      completion. This might account for some of the various odd photos of
                                      equipment alleged to be on the FJ&G.

                                      Message 18 of 18 , Jun 13, 2005
                                        Could tyhat be coming into Sammonsville ?