caboose

  • Dean R. Pausley
    Message 1 of 22 , May 11, 2005
      As I was eading west bound on rt. 5 into Amsterdam my head swung around just in time to see a green caboose on the end of an east bound freight. Haven't seen one in a long time. I was going to turn around on the end but got into traffic. This was not the old caboose the use on the cut up the hill. Sort of a PennCentral/PL&E jade green.

      Dean Pausley
    • Stephen G. Myers
      Message 2 of 22 , May 17, 2005
        It was a DODX caboose.

          Steve Myers

        On Wed, 11 May 2005 18:15:43 -0400 "Dean R. Pausley" <dpausle1@...> writes:
        As I was eading west bound on rt. 5 into Amsterdam my head swung around just in time to see a green caboose on the end of an east bound freight. Haven't seen one in a long time. I was going to turn around on the end but got into traffic. This was not the old caboose the use on the cut up the hill. Sort of a PennCentral/PL&E jade green.

        Dean Pausley

        Visit Gino's Railpage at
        Visit Pete Seftons Lost Landmark Page
        http://www.lostlandmarks.org
        http://ny.existingstations.com/

      • Dean R. Pausley
        Message 3 of 22 , May 18, 2005
          Steve:
                    Thank you. Were there other DoD cars in the consist?

          Dean P.
          Brunswick
        • Stephen G. Myers

            Message 5 of 22 , May 19, 2005
              Steve:
                      Such a short stay. I was born in Selkirk and grew up there. So much history under my feet back in the fiftes but just too young to know what I was witnessing.

              Youth is wasted on the young.
              Dean Pausley

            • Stephen G. Myers

                Message 7 of 22 , Mar 15 7:59 PM
                  Anyone know where i might be able to find a caboose. Would prefer a car on
                  an active rail line. Preferably with rollerbearings
                  Message 8 of 22 , Mar 16 4:17 AM
                    Hi Joe,

                    On page 99 of the April 2006 Trains magazine there is an ad for 20 ex-CR
                    NE-6 cabeese for sale... like these from Atlas only bigger and a tad
                    more expensive:

                    http://www.atlasrr.com/Images/HOFreightCars/hone6caboose/6306-1.jpg

                    The price is $8500, and appear to be on their own trucks.

                    "Located in PA,
                    Trucking available,
                    For more information
                    phone (717) 426-4919"

                    Paul :-)

                    Message 9 of 22 , Mar 16 7:49 AM
                      I talked to that guy. They all have friction bearing trucks. Conrail would
                      not hanfdle them in interchange.

                      Message 10 of 22 , Mar 16 8:16 AM
                        Hi Joe,

                        Conrail won't handle their own cabeese... hmm, maybe they are trying to
                        tell you something!

                        Click on this Google image search and you will see many cabeese for sale:

                        http://images.google.ca/images?hl=en&q=caboose%20for%20sale&btnG=Search&sa=N&tab=wi

                        You would have to look at the photos or contact the people to see if
                        they are still for sale or equipped with roller bearings, but it's a start.

                        Paul :-)

                        Message 11 of 22 , Mar 16 6:27 PM
                          Joe in reality it might be cheaper to truck it anyway. The railroads don't
                          care to handle these kind of moves because they get in the way of the real
                          money today.

                          PKL

                          >From: "joseph Klapkowski" <riverlinejoe@...>
                          >To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                          >Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] caboose
                          >Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 15:49:34 +0000
                          >
                          >I talked to that guy. They all have friction bearing trucks. Conrail would
                          >not hanfdle them in interchange.
                          >

                          > >From: Paul Charland <p.charlie@...>
                          > >To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                          > >Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] caboose
                          > >Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 07:17:04 -0500
                          > >
                          > >Hi Joe,
                          > >
                          > >On page 99 of the April 2006 Trains magazine there is an ad for 20 ex-CR
                          > >NE-6 cabeese for sale... like these from Atlas only bigger and a tad
                          > >more expensive:
                          > >
                          > >http://www.atlasrr.com/Images/HOFreightCars/hone6caboose/6306-1.jpg
                          > >
                          > >The price is $8500, and appear to be on their own trucks.
                          > >
                          > >"Located in PA,
                          > >Trucking available,
                          > >For more information
                          > >phone (717) 426-4919"
                          > >
                          > >Paul :-)
                          > >
                          > >joseph Klapkowski wrote:
                          > >
                          > > > Anyone know where i might be able to find a caboose. Would prefer a
                          >car
                          > >on
                          > > > an active rail line. Preferably with rollerbearings

                        • oleroadslug
                          Message 12 of 22 , Mar 16 8:21 PM
                            Is the midwest to far to consider? Trucked, we got them.

                            Wouldn't CP's asset management group be able to assist?

                            Bob Schoneman
                            Appleton, WI