Re: [FJGRailroad] Chicago Line

    Message 1 of 23 , Apr 25, 2005
      What is "early quits?"

      Gino

      On 4/24/05, choochoo1802@... <choochoo1802@...> wrote:
      > There was a frieght train that broke a knuckle in Syracuse,and put the
      > train in emergency.Not allowing any trains go by until it was inspected.
      > Created a turmoil,plus the Dispatcher or the DeWitt yardmaster accused
      > the engineer of doing it on purpose over the radio.DeWitt is very
      > congested lately.
      > A young 25 year old kid for the CSX from outside the area came in as
      > Terminal Manager and thought he can run the place. First thing he did
      > was to eliminate early quits,now nothing is moving in Syracuse.Mark
      >

      > Visit Gino's Railpage at
      > http://gcdranet.homelinux.com/
      > Visit Pete Seftons Lost Landmark Page
      > http://www.lostlandmarks.org

      www.ginosrailpage.com
      www.fjgrr.com
    • stevefjg30
      Message 2 of 23 , Apr 26, 2005
        This is a report from the battle field we are winning this one!!!!
        Down with those southern !#!#!!#!!#^%^%^%&.Oh yea and it's making
        train crews lots of money.I wish i was.Another derailment in the yard
        last night two in three days Outlaws all over.They asked for this one
        Work by the rules or else your gone .There finding you cant work by
        the rules and run a railroad~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They will never learn
        this is not Atlanta /Jacksonville or Waycross We stand up to these
        Pepole and they dont like it.TO BAD!!!!!!!!!Time to go to the battle
        field midnights are getting old Quick!!!!!

        Steve

        --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, "paul larner" <pklarner@h...>
        wrote:
        > No, CSX is in the middle of a level three screw up. Level three is
        that
        > level of managers just below the top but high enough to be
        insulated form
        > the real world. Remember we're from CSX; we know it all and we
        care for
        > you.
        >
        > Everyone's making a lot of money, this is a good thing.
        >
        > PKL
        >
        > >From: "Dicarlo, Gino" <Gino.Dicarlo@q...>
        > >To: <FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com>
        > >Subject: [FJGRailroad] Chicago Line
        > >Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2005 18:22:14 -0500
        > >
        > >Was there a derailment on the Chicago Line in New York this week?
        I was

      • choochoo1802@webtv.net
        Message 3 of 23 , Apr 26, 2005
          Steve- Are you in Frontier Yard? I heard its a mess in Buffalo also. We
          have over 400 cars interchanged to CSX in Syracuse,but the problem is
          that they are not in DeWitt where they are suppose to be.They are
          scattered all over the place.Give it more time,it will start hitting the
          media. Mark
        • choochoo1802@webtv.net
          Message 4 of 23 , Apr 26, 2005
            Paul- Whats it like along the Hudson? Mark
          • choochoo1802@webtv.net
            Message 5 of 23 , Apr 26, 2005
              Gino-Most crews are guaranteed 8 hours of pay for their assigned jobs.If
              you get your work done in less than 8 hours,its call an early quit with
              8 hours pay.What they are trying to do with CSX in yards,that they
              adding more work on their assigned job.Once you take away an incentive,
              progress will slow down.Mark
              Message 6 of 23 , Apr 26, 2005
                The Hudson doesn't handle much freight. Most traffic for the city runs on
                the River Line, former West Shore. The B&A was pretty good last week's trip
                because everything must have been tied up west. On the Mohawk, where I've
                made but one trip in several month, I had the best day in many months.
                Bring it on.

                The press doesn't give a rats ass about us. We will be presented as
                stealing time and the majority of folks would consider us obstructionists.
                The state doesn't really care; CSX knows they can buy about anyone in state
                government for the right price. As an aside, in this area I have seen a few
                cases where public employees have been prosecuted for stealing time. I
                thought it was a little absurd, politics I'm sure, but a crime nevertheless.

                Give CSX managers what they want - comply with all the rules even when they
                are illogical. The best way to change a bad rule or practice is to comply.
                Never give the impression that we are not already complying. That's suicide
                and just asking for more attention from management and the FRA. It makes us
                look bad., especially after a tragic incident (of which CSX has had a few
                lately in this area). We alays copmply with the rules, even the foolish
                ones - like calling signals over the radio. Just keep talking over the DS
                and anyone else - it's the rule. Stop and walk through whenever the "flag"
                isn't at his post. I know walking through seems too much like work for some
                guys. We walked .9 of a mile at Syracuse the other day because CSX screwed
                up the message and then didn't allow the DS discretion to correct it. The
                culture and style of the NS management, now infiltrating CSX I hear, is not
                conducive to good relationships between educated employees and themselves.

                There's a better solution to the early quit issue. T&E are different because
                they have a contract that specifies a minimun of eight once work is
                performed. It isn't stealing if the work is done but you can't sign off at
                11 pm if you go home at 9:30 pm. You have to sign off at 9:30. Should
                something unfortunate happen to you between 9:30 and 11:00 you're still on
                duty but at home, in your local tavern, or whatever. That's one problem
                FELA. T&E get eight for the start.

                If you're in one of the other crafts, that's a little different; surely
                there must be something to be accomplished around your shops. Hard to get
                sympathy from a general public that has to stay their full shift in their
                jobs. Cultures are hard to change; doesn't mean its ethically right. If we
                ran our own shop, how would we feel about paying eight hours for four or
                six. Do you watch the Monster Shop or Orange County Choppers on TV? Think
                any of those guys would last if they took early quits? Early quits is not
                an issue to put before the public. The lip service would have you believe
                there is nothing wrong with expecting eight hours work for eight hours pay,
                if that the way the contract is written. Reality demontrates that even when
                employees stay the full eight hours they actually work about six hours.

                PKL

                Message 7 of 23 , Apr 27, 2005
                  With us its not stealing time.If we start at 0900 and work until 1500.We
                  put down on our time sheet as off duty at 1500. Then we have a section
                  to fill out as worked for 6 hours,paid but not worked for 2 hours,total
                  is 8 hours. We work until management says so anyway,regardless its 6
                  hours,9 hours or 12 hours ( of which is no choice).Early quits for us is
                  seldom.We're working 10-12 hours per day.Mark
                  Message 8 of 23 , Apr 27, 2005
                    That's the good thing. If you show the actual hours worked then you can't
                    be charged with stealing time. I heard a couple fellows were charged with
                    stealing time; I don't recall whether it was Selkirk or elsewhere, nor were
                    the circumstances clear. Another critical point is that managers are
                    allowing it. Once this happens it becomes part of the culture and is
                    expected. I maintain it's a good thing to have a few bones for employees.
                    Budget for them. It's a ploy for managers if done properly. The employee
                    think's he's getting away with something, a little something for nothing.
                    As a turnaround the employee is more willing to get his job done quickly
                    because he's geting a bit of gravy. A win win situation playing on human
                    nature. The danger is that once it becomes part of the culture, what
                    happens when a new manager comes in from outside.

                    If anyone ever wondered why promotions at a particular location don't come
                    from the ranks, it is to avoid these issues. Good workers get promoted then
                    are sent to other locations to do their supervision. Could breaking the
                    "culture" be the reason so many former CR managers are no longer employed at
                    CSX. (Remember UP took over SP) We went through the same process here. Took
                    steps and a couple changes at the top. I hadn't experienced this process
                    before I arrived here. I liked it. You did your job and every one got a
                    bone at the end of the tour. It was apparent in attitudes; that has
                    changed. There were more serious problems though. Auditing cash sales was
                    allowed to slip through the cracks; rules were not enforced. Most of us
                    knowing what's expected of us will comply. Forever it seems I have
                    emphasized that any rule not enforced doesn't exist. There was evidence of
                    that here. Several cases where one of us landed in trouble should properly
                    have been laid on management's attitude toward monitoring and compliance.
                    Many companies don't do a root cause analysis of their employee failures
                    because the results usually point to a manager at some level. Being on the
                    bottom level of the pyramid I can only presume other things were lax as
                    well.

                    Taking "bonuses" from employees working hard with a belief these are
                    entitlements, is difficult, though not impossible. Unless you get a gifted
                    manager with the balls to push back a bit to his manager, the process is
                    counter productive. Look at what's happening now. Even gifted managers are
                    up against a wall, too. They'd like to keep their jobs as well, so often
                    feel obligated, threatened, to push issues further than they might
                    otherwise.

                    Level Three. The board of directors expects profitability, a favorable
                    public image, and a days work for a days pay. The chairman passes the
                    message to the president who drops it on his department heads. Insulated
                    and largely isolated from the real world where the capital is produced,
                    decisions are made without a true picture of how things are. Why do you
                    suppose a company would shut down half of it's capacity and still try to run
                    a schedule as if nothing had changed? What about fleeting trains during a
                    work process? Was someone not listening or afraid to speak up? Sieg heil.

                    Cultural change is as painful corporately as it is internationally. Success
                    at every level is not to become a victim. This feeling applies to our
                    managers and to us. Our pants all go on the same way. My wife speaks to
                    more folks around the industry than I have in a number of years, she hears
                    "the railroad" is no longer a "fun" place to work. People don't like their
                    working situation anymore, at all levels. I suspect it isn't our industry
                    alone. Does it all have to do with money?

                    Basta.

                    PKL

                    Message 9 of 23 , Apr 27, 2005
                      No I'm in Selkirk.Another derailment last night in the yard!!!!!

                      Steve L

                    • choochoo1802@webtv.net
                      Message 10 of 23 , Apr 27, 2005
                        Steve-Is that hump yard still there,and if so how many humps are there?
                        Mark
                      • Stephen G. Myers
                        Message 11 of 23 , Apr 28, 2005
                          Which Steve? Steve Myers works out of Frontier yard, but is in
                          Jacksonville Florida until Sunday.
                          Steve's wife

                        • choochoo1802@webtv.net
                          Message 12 of 23 , Apr 28, 2005
                            I had the two Steve's mixed up. Mark
                          • Gerald Snyder
                            Message 13 of 23 , Apr 28, 2005
                              Unfortunately, yes, it all has to do with money. I
                              know I used to enjoy going to work at least some days,
                              but top management seems to have adopted the
                              squeeze-all-you-can-out-of-them attitude and
                              everything has become a one way street. They
                              constantly remind you that you're being paid to do
                              your job, not put in x number of hours, so if the day
                              becomes 10 or 12 hours long because things have to get
                              done, so be it. And being on salary means overtime
                              does nothing for your take-home. Nobody remembers the
                              60 hours last week when you need an hour for the
                              doctor this week - just be sure you make it up this
                              week. And if you have to come in weekends or days
                              off, that's just part of the job - no comp time for
                              that. But the part that really bothers me is that the
                              bean counters are starting to impact our ability to do
                              the technically right thing, which is what has kept us
                              out of trouble for the last 50 years. Just look at
                              what's happened to NASA. There's some things that
                              just can't be done faster, better, and cheaper. End of
                              rant. Time to go see my son get inducted into the
                              Nation Honor Society.
                              Jerry

                              http://mail.yahoo.com
                              Message 14 of 23 , Apr 30, 2005
                                Just because we are on the topic and somewhat off the topic....I work in a
                                non union environment. One year just before year end, I made a lot of money
                                for my company. One deal was me thinking and the other deal was me thinking
                                hard. When bonus time came around I was told that I was paid to be
                                smart.........................needless to say I left shortly
                                thereafter..........

                                At another employer several things went wrong. I was the mechanic that fixed
                                what was broken. I did not break the things that were broke. After the fact
                                the finger pointing started.............I left because it started to look
                                like they were going to point at me even though everyone else knew it was
                                someone else higher up in management that was at fault.........

                                Non-union and some of you might think I am an executive but really I am the
                                mechanic in my business.

                                I know there are lots of injustices in evry workplace but at least you guys
                                have rules and a union to support you. I get to work long hours whenever
                                required and get dumped on a lot. Nobody backs me up..............sorry just
                                wanted to say that.....now back to the topic.

                                Message 15 of 23 , Apr 30, 2005
                                  There will be another revolution if our government doesn't figure out a new
                                  way to redistribute wealth. At some point the working class, middle class,
                                  will no longer take it. The Industrial Revolution is largely responsible
                                  for saving the heads of the ruling classes in western Europe and America at
                                  the turn and following into the ninteenth century. What now for us as our
                                  US industrialists and our government move our jobs to foreign countries
                                  while continuing to amass and flaunt their great wealth. What will save
                                  the US standard of living for the folks who aren't able to fill the fewer
                                  and fewer well paying jobs?

                                  It is offered we will be able to invest a portion of our social security in
                                  the stock market thereby partaking in the joy of belonging to the investing
                                  class. That paltry percentage of an already small percentage will buy a
                                  daily cup of coffee as consolation at the end of ones working career. We
                                  have IRA's and 401k's now that are far better in amount available for
                                  investment and return. Problem with a company investment plan - you are
                                  telling your employer your level of surplus income. That should not be any
                                  of his business. Today twenty or so years later the price is being paid as
                                  employers force workers to give back in terms of contributions for health
                                  care, pensions and yes, social security and RRR.

                                  Amtrak has proposed Amtrak employees only we be taken out of RRR and put in
                                  SSS and also that we be exempt from the railway labor act. Can you believe
                                  there are people here that vote Republican. They say they believe the
                                  Republicans are helping them. We are being asked to contribute to our health
                                  care while the company won't give us the number of paid sick days the other
                                  crafts receive. It's a no brainer, a win/win. I'd gladly give a $100 a
                                  month in contribution for ten days paid leave each year.

                                  Does the word scumbag come to anyone else's mind.

                                  PKL

                                • Stephen G. Myers
                                  Message 16 of 23 , May 1, 2005
                                    The new management team was sent to Selkirk with a purpose. He/they
                                    are not doing it on their own.

                                    Steve

                                    Message 17 of 23 , May 1, 2005
                                      I have been in Pueblo, Selkirk, and Jacksonville for the last three
                                      weeks. We are reopening a closed yard in Buffalo.

                                      Steve

                                      Message 18 of 23 , May 1, 2005
                                        Selkirk, NY and Frontier Yard in Buffalo are both hump yards.

                                        Steve M

                                        On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 22:49:17 -0400 choochoo1802@... writes:

                                        > Steve-Is that hump yard still there,and if so how many humps are
                                        > there?
                                        > Mark

                                        > --------------------~-->
                                        > What would our lives be like without music, dance, and theater?
                                        > Donate or volunteer in the arts today at Network for Good!
                                        > http://us.click.yahoo.com/Tcy2bD/SOnJAA/cosFAA/j2LplB/TM

                                        > Visit Gino's Railpage at
                                        > http://gcdranet.homelinux.com/
                                        > Visit Pete Seftons Lost Landmark Page
                                        > http://www.lostlandmarks.org
                                        > Visit Charles P. Woolever's Existing Railroad Stations in New York
                                        > State at
                                        > http://ny.existingstations.com/
                                        > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                      • Stephen G. Myers
                                        Message 19 of 23 , May 1, 2005
                                          It is all a part of the JACK WELCH school of management, screw
                                          everyone while you squeeze a buck into two. Maximize equipment
                                          utilization and reduce inventory and labor, keep the money moving,
                                          contract it all out to reduce taxes, labor costs, and retirements.

                                          Steve Myers

                                          Message 20 of 23 , May 1, 2005
                                            Message
                                            Easy to confuse you guys.  You're both Steves and you both work for CSX!