Re: [FJGRailroad] Chicago Line

  • choochoo1802@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 23 , Apr 24, 2005
      There was a frieght train that broke a knuckle in Syracuse,and put the
      train in emergency.Not allowing any trains go by until it was inspected.
      Created a turmoil,plus the Dispatcher or the DeWitt yardmaster accused
      the engineer of doing it on purpose over the radio.DeWitt is very
      congested lately.
      A young 25 year old kid for the CSX from outside the area came in as
      Terminal Manager and thought he can run the place. First thing he did
      was to eliminate early quits,now nothing is moving in Syracuse.Mark
      Message 2 of 23 , Apr 24, 2005
        No, CSX is in the middle of a level three screw up. Level three is that
        level of managers just below the top but high enough to be insulated form
        the real world. Remember we're from CSX; we know it all and we care for
        you.

        Everyone's making a lot of money, this is a good thing.

        PKL

        Message 3 of 23 , Apr 25, 2005
          What is "early quits?"

          Gino

          On 4/24/05, choochoo1802@... <choochoo1802@...> wrote:
          > There was a frieght train that broke a knuckle in Syracuse,and put the
          > train in emergency.Not allowing any trains go by until it was inspected.
          > Created a turmoil,plus the Dispatcher or the DeWitt yardmaster accused
          > the engineer of doing it on purpose over the radio.DeWitt is very
          > congested lately.
          > A young 25 year old kid for the CSX from outside the area came in as
          > Terminal Manager and thought he can run the place. First thing he did
          > was to eliminate early quits,now nothing is moving in Syracuse.Mark
          >

          > Visit Gino's Railpage at
          > http://gcdranet.homelinux.com/
          > Visit Pete Seftons Lost Landmark Page
          > http://www.lostlandmarks.org

          www.ginosrailpage.com
          www.fjgrr.com
        • stevefjg30
          Message 4 of 23 , Apr 26, 2005
            This is a report from the battle field we are winning this one!!!!
            Down with those southern !#!#!!#!!#^%^%^%&.Oh yea and it's making
            train crews lots of money.I wish i was.Another derailment in the yard
            last night two in three days Outlaws all over.They asked for this one
            Work by the rules or else your gone .There finding you cant work by
            the rules and run a railroad~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They will never learn
            this is not Atlanta /Jacksonville or Waycross We stand up to these
            Pepole and they dont like it.TO BAD!!!!!!!!!Time to go to the battle
            field midnights are getting old Quick!!!!!

            Steve

            --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, "paul larner" <pklarner@h...>

          • choochoo1802@webtv.net
            Message 5 of 23 , Apr 26, 2005
              Steve- Are you in Frontier Yard? I heard its a mess in Buffalo also. We
              have over 400 cars interchanged to CSX in Syracuse,but the problem is
              that they are not in DeWitt where they are suppose to be.They are
              scattered all over the place.Give it more time,it will start hitting the
              media. Mark
            • choochoo1802@webtv.net
              Message 6 of 23 , Apr 26, 2005
                Paul- Whats it like along the Hudson? Mark
              • choochoo1802@webtv.net
                Message 7 of 23 , Apr 26, 2005
                  Gino-Most crews are guaranteed 8 hours of pay for their assigned jobs.If
                  you get your work done in less than 8 hours,its call an early quit with
                  8 hours pay.What they are trying to do with CSX in yards,that they
                  adding more work on their assigned job.Once you take away an incentive,
                  progress will slow down.Mark
                  Message 8 of 23 , Apr 26, 2005
                    The Hudson doesn't handle much freight. Most traffic for the city runs on
                    the River Line, former West Shore. The B&A was pretty good last week's trip
                    because everything must have been tied up west. On the Mohawk, where I've
                    made but one trip in several month, I had the best day in many months.
                    Bring it on.

                    The press doesn't give a rats ass about us. We will be presented as
                    stealing time and the majority of folks would consider us obstructionists.
                    The state doesn't really care; CSX knows they can buy about anyone in state
                    government for the right price. As an aside, in this area I have seen a few
                    cases where public employees have been prosecuted for stealing time. I
                    thought it was a little absurd, politics I'm sure, but a crime nevertheless.

                    Give CSX managers what they want - comply with all the rules even when they
                    are illogical. The best way to change a bad rule or practice is to comply.
                    Never give the impression that we are not already complying. That's suicide
                    and just asking for more attention from management and the FRA. It makes us
                    look bad., especially after a tragic incident (of which CSX has had a few
                    lately in this area). We alays copmply with the rules, even the foolish
                    ones - like calling signals over the radio. Just keep talking over the DS
                    and anyone else - it's the rule. Stop and walk through whenever the "flag"
                    isn't at his post. I know walking through seems too much like work for some
                    guys. We walked .9 of a mile at Syracuse the other day because CSX screwed
                    up the message and then didn't allow the DS discretion to correct it. The
                    culture and style of the NS management, now infiltrating CSX I hear, is not
                    conducive to good relationships between educated employees and themselves.

                    There's a better solution to the early quit issue. T&E are different because
                    they have a contract that specifies a minimun of eight once work is
                    performed. It isn't stealing if the work is done but you can't sign off at
                    11 pm if you go home at 9:30 pm. You have to sign off at 9:30. Should
                    something unfortunate happen to you between 9:30 and 11:00 you're still on
                    duty but at home, in your local tavern, or whatever. That's one problem
                    FELA. T&E get eight for the start.

                    If you're in one of the other crafts, that's a little different; surely
                    there must be something to be accomplished around your shops. Hard to get
                    sympathy from a general public that has to stay their full shift in their
                    jobs. Cultures are hard to change; doesn't mean its ethically right. If we
                    ran our own shop, how would we feel about paying eight hours for four or
                    six. Do you watch the Monster Shop or Orange County Choppers on TV? Think
                    any of those guys would last if they took early quits? Early quits is not
                    an issue to put before the public. The lip service would have you believe
                    there is nothing wrong with expecting eight hours work for eight hours pay,
                    if that the way the contract is written. Reality demontrates that even when
                    employees stay the full eight hours they actually work about six hours.

                    PKL

                    Message 9 of 23 , Apr 27, 2005
                      With us its not stealing time.If we start at 0900 and work until 1500.We
                      put down on our time sheet as off duty at 1500. Then we have a section
                      to fill out as worked for 6 hours,paid but not worked for 2 hours,total
                      is 8 hours. We work until management says so anyway,regardless its 6
                      hours,9 hours or 12 hours ( of which is no choice).Early quits for us is
                      seldom.We're working 10-12 hours per day.Mark
                      Message 10 of 23 , Apr 27, 2005
                        That's the good thing. If you show the actual hours worked then you can't
                        be charged with stealing time. I heard a couple fellows were charged with
                        stealing time; I don't recall whether it was Selkirk or elsewhere, nor were
                        the circumstances clear. Another critical point is that managers are
                        allowing it. Once this happens it becomes part of the culture and is
                        expected. I maintain it's a good thing to have a few bones for employees.
                        Budget for them. It's a ploy for managers if done properly. The employee
                        think's he's getting away with something, a little something for nothing.
                        As a turnaround the employee is more willing to get his job done quickly
                        because he's geting a bit of gravy. A win win situation playing on human
                        nature. The danger is that once it becomes part of the culture, what
                        happens when a new manager comes in from outside.

                        If anyone ever wondered why promotions at a particular location don't come
                        from the ranks, it is to avoid these issues. Good workers get promoted then
                        are sent to other locations to do their supervision. Could breaking the
                        "culture" be the reason so many former CR managers are no longer employed at
                        CSX. (Remember UP took over SP) We went through the same process here. Took
                        steps and a couple changes at the top. I hadn't experienced this process
                        before I arrived here. I liked it. You did your job and every one got a
                        bone at the end of the tour. It was apparent in attitudes; that has
                        changed. There were more serious problems though. Auditing cash sales was
                        allowed to slip through the cracks; rules were not enforced. Most of us
                        knowing what's expected of us will comply. Forever it seems I have
                        emphasized that any rule not enforced doesn't exist. There was evidence of
                        that here. Several cases where one of us landed in trouble should properly
                        have been laid on management's attitude toward monitoring and compliance.
                        Many companies don't do a root cause analysis of their employee failures
                        because the results usually point to a manager at some level. Being on the
                        bottom level of the pyramid I can only presume other things were lax as
                        well.

                        Taking "bonuses" from employees working hard with a belief these are
                        entitlements, is difficult, though not impossible. Unless you get a gifted
                        manager with the balls to push back a bit to his manager, the process is
                        counter productive. Look at what's happening now. Even gifted managers are
                        up against a wall, too. They'd like to keep their jobs as well, so often
                        feel obligated, threatened, to push issues further than they might
                        otherwise.

                        Level Three. The board of directors expects profitability, a favorable
                        public image, and a days work for a days pay. The chairman passes the
                        message to the president who drops it on his department heads. Insulated
                        and largely isolated from the real world where the capital is produced,
                        decisions are made without a true picture of how things are. Why do you
                        suppose a company would shut down half of it's capacity and still try to run
                        a schedule as if nothing had changed? What about fleeting trains during a
                        work process? Was someone not listening or afraid to speak up? Sieg heil.

                        Cultural change is as painful corporately as it is internationally. Success
                        at every level is not to become a victim. This feeling applies to our
                        managers and to us. Our pants all go on the same way. My wife speaks to
                        more folks around the industry than I have in a number of years, she hears
                        "the railroad" is no longer a "fun" place to work. People don't like their
                        working situation anymore, at all levels. I suspect it isn't our industry
                        alone. Does it all have to do with money?

                        Basta.

                        PKL

                        Message 11 of 23 , Apr 27, 2005
                          No I'm in Selkirk.Another derailment last night in the yard!!!!!

                          Steve L

                        • choochoo1802@webtv.net
                          Message 12 of 23 , Apr 27, 2005
                            Steve-Is that hump yard still there,and if so how many humps are there?
                            Mark
                          • Stephen G. Myers
                            Message 13 of 23 , Apr 28, 2005
                              Which Steve? Steve Myers works out of Frontier yard, but is in
                              Jacksonville Florida until Sunday.
                              Steve's wife

                            • choochoo1802@webtv.net
                              Message 14 of 23 , Apr 28, 2005
                                I had the two Steve's mixed up. Mark
                              • Gerald Snyder
                                Message 15 of 23 , Apr 28, 2005
                                  Unfortunately, yes, it all has to do with money. I
                                  know I used to enjoy going to work at least some days,
                                  but top management seems to have adopted the
                                  squeeze-all-you-can-out-of-them attitude and
                                  everything has become a one way street. They
                                  constantly remind you that you're being paid to do
                                  your job, not put in x number of hours, so if the day
                                  becomes 10 or 12 hours long because things have to get
                                  done, so be it. And being on salary means overtime
                                  does nothing for your take-home. Nobody remembers the
                                  60 hours last week when you need an hour for the
                                  doctor this week - just be sure you make it up this
                                  week. And if you have to come in weekends or days
                                  off, that's just part of the job - no comp time for
                                  that. But the part that really bothers me is that the
                                  bean counters are starting to impact our ability to do
                                  the technically right thing, which is what has kept us
                                  out of trouble for the last 50 years. Just look at
                                  what's happened to NASA. There's some things that
                                  just can't be done faster, better, and cheaper. End of
                                  rant. Time to go see my son get inducted into the
                                  Nation Honor Society.
                                  Jerry

                                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Apr 30, 2005
                                    Just because we are on the topic and somewhat off the topic....I work in a
                                    non union environment. One year just before year end, I made a lot of money
                                    for my company. One deal was me thinking and the other deal was me thinking
                                    hard. When bonus time came around I was told that I was paid to be
                                    smart.........................needless to say I left shortly
                                    thereafter..........

                                    At another employer several things went wrong. I was the mechanic that fixed
                                    what was broken. I did not break the things that were broke. After the fact
                                    the finger pointing started.............I left because it started to look
                                    like they were going to point at me even though everyone else knew it was
                                    someone else higher up in management that was at fault.........

                                    Non-union and some of you might think I am an executive but really I am the
                                    mechanic in my business.

                                    I know there are lots of injustices in evry workplace but at least you guys
                                    have rules and a union to support you. I get to work long hours whenever
                                    required and get dumped on a lot. Nobody backs me up..............sorry just
                                    wanted to say that.....now back to the topic.

                                    Message 17 of 23 , Apr 30, 2005
                                      There will be another revolution if our government doesn't figure out a new
                                      way to redistribute wealth. At some point the working class, middle class,
                                      will no longer take it. The Industrial Revolution is largely responsible
                                      for saving the heads of the ruling classes in western Europe and America at
                                      the turn and following into the ninteenth century. What now for us as our
                                      US industrialists and our government move our jobs to foreign countries
                                      while continuing to amass and flaunt their great wealth. What will save
                                      the US standard of living for the folks who aren't able to fill the fewer
                                      and fewer well paying jobs?

                                      It is offered we will be able to invest a portion of our social security in
                                      the stock market thereby partaking in the joy of belonging to the investing
                                      class. That paltry percentage of an already small percentage will buy a
                                      daily cup of coffee as consolation at the end of ones working career. We
                                      have IRA's and 401k's now that are far better in amount available for
                                      investment and return. Problem with a company investment plan - you are
                                      telling your employer your level of surplus income. That should not be any
                                      of his business. Today twenty or so years later the price is being paid as
                                      employers force workers to give back in terms of contributions for health
                                      care, pensions and yes, social security and RRR.

                                      Amtrak has proposed Amtrak employees only we be taken out of RRR and put in
                                      SSS and also that we be exempt from the railway labor act. Can you believe
                                      there are people here that vote Republican. They say they believe the
                                      Republicans are helping them. We are being asked to contribute to our health
                                      care while the company won't give us the number of paid sick days the other
                                      crafts receive. It's a no brainer, a win/win. I'd gladly give a $100 a
                                      month in contribution for ten days paid leave each year.

                                      Does the word scumbag come to anyone else's mind.

                                      PKL

                                    • Stephen G. Myers
                                      Message 18 of 23 , May 1, 2005
                                        The new management team was sent to Selkirk with a purpose. He/they
                                        are not doing it on their own.

                                        Steve

                                        Message 19 of 23 , May 1, 2005
                                          I have been in Pueblo, Selkirk, and Jacksonville for the last three
                                          weeks. We are reopening a closed yard in Buffalo.

                                          Steve

                                          Message 20 of 23 , May 1, 2005
                                            Selkirk, NY and Frontier Yard in Buffalo are both hump yards.

                                            Steve M

                                            On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 22:49:17 -0400 choochoo1802@... writes:

                                            > Steve-Is that hump yard still there,and if so how many humps are
                                            > there?
                                            > Mark

                                            > --------------------~-->
                                            > What would our lives be like without music, dance, and theater?
                                            > Donate or volunteer in the arts today at Network for Good!
                                            > http://us.click.yahoo.com/Tcy2bD/SOnJAA/cosFAA/j2LplB/TM

                                            > Visit Gino's Railpage at
                                            > http://gcdranet.homelinux.com/
                                            > Visit Pete Seftons Lost Landmark Page
                                            > http://www.lostlandmarks.org
                                            > Visit Charles P. Woolever's Existing Railroad Stations in New York
                                            > State at
                                            > http://ny.existingstations.com/
                                            > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                          • Stephen G. Myers
                                            Message 21 of 23 , May 1, 2005
                                              It is all a part of the JACK WELCH school of management, screw
                                              everyone while you squeeze a buck into two. Maximize equipment
                                              utilization and reduce inventory and labor, keep the money moving,
                                              contract it all out to reduce taxes, labor costs, and retirements.

                                              Steve Myers

                                              Message 22 of 23 , May 1, 2005
                                                Message
                                                Easy to confuse you guys.  You're both Steves and you both work for CSX!