LF&D and Amsterdam

  • fjg1870
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 21 7:18 AM
      While looking through some back issues of the New York Central System
      Historical Society's "Central Headlight" magazine, I found two
      articles that might be of interest to the group.

      The first is a brief history of the LF&D published in 1971. Below is
      the article:

      "This company was first incorporated in 1891 in New York State to
      build a road from Little Falls to Dolgeville. The LF&D purchased two
      locomotives: Number 1, built by Schenectady Locomotive Works in 1892,
      Order Number 3807, a 4-6-0 with 17x24 inch cylinders and 55 inch
      drivers. Number 2, also built by Schenectady Locomotive Works in
      1895, Order Number 4336, a 4-4-0 with 17x24 inch cylinders and 61
      inch drivers. Both locomotives became NYC&HR Class CX.

      The railroad was foreclosed (bankrupt) and reformed in 1902 and
      passed into NYC&HR control in 1906.

      In 1907, the Dolgeville & Salisbury Railroad Co. was formed by the
      Salisbury Iron & Steel Co. This road was built from Dolgeville to
      Irondale, 3.89 miles, and was operated by the LF&D. This later became
      part of the LF&D.

      In 1910 and 1912 respectively, two NYC&HR Class Ec 2-6-0's, numbers
      1658 and 1688, became LF&D numbers 3 and 4.

      By 1899 this road had four passenger cars, two box cars and four flat
      cars.

      The LF&D was consolidated into the NYC&HR on April 16, 1913. The
      NYC&HR assumed the arrangement to purchase the Dolgeville & Salisbury
      Railroad."

      In doing research on the FJ&G, I've come across a few newspaper
      articles concerning the LF&D. Below are two of the more interesting
      ones, both from the Amsterdam Daily Democrat:

      July 14, 1892 – Two passenger coaches for the LF&DRR passed through
      Amsterdam Monday. One is a combination baggage and smoking car. Both
      are secondhand having been purchased from the Old Colony Railroad,
      Massachusetts. They have been repainted and bear the
      inscription "Little Falls and Dolgeville."

      January 30, 1897 – A new flanger has been built for the LF&DRR.
      Master Mechanic Martin Gardner is the builder. It is said that the
      flanger will throw the snow from the track to a distance of 20'. It
      can be used for several other purposes, among them being a tool and
      wrecking car.

      The other article entitled "Perishables to Amsterdam", was published
      in Volume XXIX, No. 3 - Third Quarter, 1999. This article has several
      photos showing the NYC switching cars in Amsterdam. This issue should
      be available from the NYCSHS.

      Walt
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 21 10:06 AM
        Attached is a photo of LF&D No. 2 as it is leaving Little Falls for
        Dolgeville.

        PKL

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 22 1:35 PM
          Looking at that, I thought it was FJ&G 8 for a second.

          Gino

          www.ginosrailpage.com
          www.fjgrr.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 22 3:31 PM
            I had a hard time identifying it. Aaron Keller found a photo showing the
            buildings and other landmarks in the background. I thought initially it
            might be number 3. It's from the same pattern as FJ&G's 3, 6, 8 and 9.

            PKL